RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
With the recent delay, I've been forced to reevaluate my transportation needs again. Initially when I preordered, I was hoping to have my R1T by the fall. That has since slipped to 1H 2022 and now is likely end of 2022. I'm a bit worried about my old TJ making it.

So, I was looking at either picking up a Mach E or maybe taking over the remainder of someone's lease on a Model 3. That got me thinking, I wonder what everyone else who is in a similar situation is doing.

So, what say you? Are you picking up a place holder vehicle? If so, what is it?

Also - have any leads on a Model 3 lease I can take over or a Mach E California Route 1 that I can buy for MSRP? :D
Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I gotta say, I feel for a lot of you preorder holders. I know many are retirees that have the luxury of waiting much longer, but car purchases are like house purchases for most. At some point that "want" becomes a "need" and you hope things work out like you planned years ago. That's why I am very interested in the R1S, but I'll wait until a second gen model before ordering

We just got my wife into a Sorento hybrid. Really fantastic car for the family for now. 3 row SUV and we just took a beach trip the other week and got 39 mpg, so very nice fuel economy for the price.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Iā€™ll just hold onto what I have. I was planning to trade the Tesla on the Rivian, but may just go ahead and sell that outright now since it donā€™t drive it much in the winter and Iā€™m likely looking at Q1 next year for the R1T LE vs. this fall. Iā€™ll keep the 4Runner until I get the Rivian since an offroad capable rig is a requirement for me.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

When I was waiting for my Model X, the delays ultimately caused it to arrive 6 months after my previous lease expired. To bridge the gap I picked up a BMW i3 on a great deal for a 2 year lease. I was later able to swap out of the second year of that lease with little effort.

My experience has taught me it is futile to try to line up the expiration of one car with the delivery of a brand new model. Every time I have tried this, the new model is never available in time and I end up with something else that's readily available. This time around, I have the flexibility of owning my vehicle in good working condition and paid off, and can wait however long it takes for my Rivian to be ready. I don't think I'd do it differently again.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles IMG_1772

Here's our placeholder. Got an overvalued trade in on our old Yukon, and these have been hard to find this year. Thought is whenever the R1S comes through this will still hold good value given the limited supply in the market.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I sold my DD Grand Cherokee, so I'm driving my tow monkey 2015 Siverado 2500 until my R1S arrives.

I love my truck, but it's not the most practical for around town. Our 2012 Wrangler is actually not as tall & worlds better for parking garages, but that hasn't been as much of an issue since COVID...

Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles 20160819_132148

Last edited:

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Iā€™m really not sure what Iā€™m going to do. My wife needs a car since sheā€™s been driving around my daughterā€™s for the last few months and now that car is going away to college with her.

Iā€™m having a hard time deciding if itā€™s a good idea to buy an electric now among MachE, Volvo XC40 Recharge, Tesla or something else versus buying an ICE and keeping that for a while. Thereā€™s still a wait for many of those cars if I tried to buy now.

Even considered trying to rent for a few months but thatā€˜s pretty spendy. Volvo has a ā€™subscriptionā€™ model that may work. I donā€™t really want to get caught in something for longer than a year.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Like many, I was hoping to be a short bit away from driving an R1S. My 17 yr old vehicle is hanging in there, and the ability to work from home during COVID cut down on the daily mileage for 1.5 yrs or so. Crossing my fingers the current car will hang on. If it goes belly up before the R1S is available, I'm not sure what I'll do. I want an EV, and I also believe in hanging on to big purchases for as long as possible, so if I have to get something before the R1S is available then it will be a head scratcher to figure out what to do.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

peashooter,

As placeholders go, that's a nice place to be held. Enjoy that ride!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
With the recent delay, I've been forced to reevaluate my transportation needs again. Initially when I preordered, I was hoping to have my R1T by the fall. That has since slipped to 1H 2022 and now is likely end of 2022. I'm a bit worried about my old TJ making it.

So, I was looking at either picking up a Mach E or maybe taking over the remainder of someone's lease on a Model 3. That got me thinking, I wonder what everyone else who is in a similar situation is doing.

So, what say you? Are you picking up a place holder vehicle? If so, what is it?

Also - have any leads on a Model 3 lease I can take over or a Mach E California Route 1 that I can buy for MSRP? :D
I got the CA Route 1 last month and have actually cancelled my Rivian pre-order. Waiting now for the Hummer. Very happy with the Mach E, spent this weekend at the Grand Canyon with it.

Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles MMEatGC

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
With a mid-2020 pre-order date, I knew that my R1S would likely be a end of 2021 / early 2022 delivery. So I traded out of my Mini Cooper lease - slated to end in Oct 2021 - and into a Lexus RX 350 lease, which will come due in June 2022. Plenty of buffer time based on current delivery timeframes for Launch Editions (of course, that could change). It's a pretty vanilla vehicle but does the job for now. I have been tempted by the high trade-in values though. I think I could net upwards of $4k if I trade it in, but would only do so if I got a plug-in hybrid that holds its value until its time to take delivery of the R1S.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I got the CA Route 1 last month and have actually cancelled my Rivian pre-order. Waiting now for the Hummer. Very happy with the Mach E, spent this weekend at the Grand Canyon with it.

MMEatGC.jpg
If I could find one of those at MSRP, I would buy it right now. Probably the exact same spec as you have there.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Like many, I was hoping to be a short bit away from driving an R1S. My 17 yr old vehicle is hanging in there, and the ability to work from home during COVID cut down on the daily mileage for 1.5 yrs or so. Crossing my fingers the current car will hang on. If it goes belly up before the R1S is available, I'm not sure what I'll do. I want an EV, and I also believe in hanging on to big purchases for as long as possible, so if I have to get something before the R1S is available then it will be a head scratcher to figure out what to do.
Iā€™m in pretty much the exact same boat, but R1T vice R1S. Not a great boat, thatā€¦

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Grabbed an Id.4 off a lot. Really like it, and will evaluate whether we trade it or our Xc60 in when the time comes.
Sponsored