Cracked Roof Glass

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What's the temps like in your area? I'm in TX and it's 105 today. Not sure how well it would hold up here. Wish Rivian gave us a choice between a glass and solid roof.
If it’s 95+ and you are charging at EA in full Sun…you’ll feel it…in motion, not bad…but sitting still…for sure.
Sponsored

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
This is a "feature" I would pay not to have.

And as Rivian struggles to ramp up production, I have to wonder whether a simple metal roof wouldn't have been easier, cheaper, and faster to manufacture.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
This happened with my two week old Model Y. Noticed mine the same way while washing the car. After taking to service and about 3 people investigating it they determined it wasn’t a manufacturing defect. Thankfully, I have glass coverage and my insurance replaced the roof glass at no cost to me.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
This just happened to a buddy of mine this weekend. He was washing his R1T and was drying the roof. He put is knee on the edge of the roof to lean over and dry the glass and heard a pop. Cracked the corner and then it spider webbed. He said it felt paper thin. I assume these glass roofs are tempered, correct? If not it's going to be interesting around hail season in the DFW area.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is a "feature" I would pay not to have.

And as Rivian struggles to ramp up production, I have to wonder whether a simple metal roof wouldn't have been easier, cheaper, and faster to manufacture.
You took the words out of my mouth mate! Couldn't agree more.

Sponsored

JC9

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
I cracked my pano roof during a carwash as well. I was washing it when I stood up on my crossbar, placed my left hand on the roof, leaned forward to wash the front and “CRACK” it went. Pushed back with my right hand and there they were, 2 impact points from my hands. I contacted my guide immediately who called me and made sure I was ok then I opened a service ticket. It took almost 4 weeks to set up an appointment and now I’ve been waiting for 2 weeks for one more part.
Initially it was to be covered under warranty then they called and said it wasn't a warranty issue. $1881 cost so I had to make a claim. The pano roof is definitely not nearly as dense as the other windows.

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Roof Glass 40999380-3B91-4786-9FD2-D96D44F6634F

Rivian R1T R1S Cracked Roof Glass B79F1440-2FF3-4A2B-BDF2-2D80ECCAE9CB

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
I cracked my pano roof during a carwash as well. I was washing it when I stood up on my crossbar, placed my left hand on the roof, leaned forward to wash the front and “CRACK” it went. Pushed back with my right hand and there they were, 2 impact points from my hands. I contacted my guide immediately who called me and made sure I was ok then I opened a service ticket. It took almost 4 weeks to set up an appointment and now I’ve been waiting for 2 weeks for one more part.
Initially it was to be covered under warranty then they called and said it wasn't a warranty issue. $1881 cost so I had to make a claim. The pano roof is definitely not nearly as dense as the other windows.

40999380-3B91-4786-9FD2-D96D44F6634F.jpeg

B79F1440-2FF3-4A2B-BDF2-2D80ECCAE9CB.jpeg
Wow, that is a bit concerning and appears to be a potential weak point.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Not an warrantee issue? Glass roof should not crack because you put your hand on it. If it was that fragile, it shouldn't be used to protect the occupants inside. Windshield doesn't crack because you put your weight on it...

I think you may want to contact the local TV news and let them go after Rivian to replace it under the bumper-to-bumper warrantee.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not an warrantee issue? Glass roof should not crack because you put your hand on it. If it was that fragile, it shouldn't be used to protect the occupants inside. Windshield doesn't crack because you put your weight on it...
It's a grey-area. If Rivian decided to cover it under warranty I wouldn't have been surprised. I'm also not surprised they're not covering it. It is physical damage, and there is no compelling evidence (at this time) to suggest it's a defect.

I think you may want to contact the local TV news and let them go after Rivian to replace it under the bumper-to-bumper warrantee.
Calm down, Karen.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Might I suggest a stool on the ground to stand on to clean it? That looks dangerous as all hell standing on a wet cross bar.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Wow…..

JC9

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
Thats exactly what I brought up with the service folks locally and the 855 service center folks. I asked whats the weight or psi rating? Not even sure if thats the right lingo but its concerning since that pano roof is supposed to protect us.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Might I suggest a stool on the ground to stand on to clean it? That looks dangerous as all hell standing on a wet cross bar.
The gear tunnel door is almost custom made to suit this purpose. I use it every time I wash the truck. Works like a charm.

JC9

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
That is probably safer for sure but I didnt feel unsteady up there. Im more aftaid of even washing the damn thing now.

JC9

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Healthcare
The second service center rep I spoke to on the 855 number said I wasn't the first, which surprised me, and that he got 2 calls for the same reason in one day. One person was installing the crossbars, supported his weight with one hand while installing the crossbar and cracked it.
Sponsored