SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Look at a the difference in the angle of the A-pillar in the R1T vs a Ford Lightning.

There is probably a 15 degree or more difference in slope and that is probably enough to cause lots of headaches with rock damaage.

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield glass is trash 1686708819553

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield glass is trash 1686708783033
Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Range Rover windshields are horrible too! I have the heated windshield on that car and I'm not sure if thats the reason why the glass is weak.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Fuyao!

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield glass is trash IMG_20230613_223958

The angle of the glass has everything to do with how much damage a projectile will do. If the glass is sloped, the object is much more likely to graze off if it and not cause much damage.

If it is steep - it is much more likely to slam into the glass and cause a break or crack.
Soooo make it tougher? See below.

Range Rover windshields are horrible too! I have the heated windshield on that car and I'm not sure if thats the reason why the glass is weak.
My buddy has my old 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2, over 200k miles on all sorts of adventures and road trips west of the Rockies, and it still has the original heated windshield. I heard plenty of rocks pummel it in my time, and only 1 left a very modest crack. No chips, no spiderwebs, no divots, no long drawn cracks, just a half inch line.

They just don't make 'em like they used to...

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Fuyao!

IMG_20230613_223958.gif

Soooo make it tougher? See below.

My buddy has my old 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2, over 200k miles on all sorts of adventures and road trips west of the Rockies, and it still has the original heated windshield. I heard plenty of rocks pummel it in my time, and only 1 left a very modest crack. No chips, no spiderwebs, no divots, no long drawn cracks, just a half inch line.

They just don't make 'em like they used to...
We can complain to Rivian an have them acknowledge the design fault. At this point we may all need to be applying a coating on the glass for extra protection against Chios tocrearpte a hardened layer on the surface. They sell such things but I’m not coming up with brand names off the top of my head.

socalr1s

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Unfortunately joining the club. I've read about windshield complaints prior to taking delivery of my R1S couple months ago, chalked it up to mostly anecdotal as well. Well I got my first small but very visible chip in the windshield first week into my ownership. I was like WTH but didn't worry too much because it was small. Couple thousand miles later got hit by another rock that caused a much deeper chip that spidered into several large cracks same day, now awaiting replacement from the SC.
For reference, I have over 110K miles in my Model X in the same commute and ZERO visible rock chips. I have several other vehicles including a very upright Land Cruiser and several exotics that are sitting at perfect height to absorb rocks. Have never replaced windshield in any of them. I do have the windshield protection film on one of my exotics but they do look hazy at night. Even my tint shop says there's no good solution for windshield protection at the moment.
I don't know how, but I do believe there is something to the "weakness" of these FY glass on the R1S. Pretty frustrating indeed.
Sponsored