Sponsored

Windshield glass is trash

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

I've previously read several comments re the windshield glass and when my 1st windshield got a 10" crack from small pebble in Month 2 of ownership, I chalked it up to bad luck. But now in month 6 of ownership and windshield #2 cracked from a smaller than small, barely bigger than a grain of sand @ 60mph, the glass is crap!

Having had many vehicles hit by rocks, stones, pebbles, etc and not getting cracks for decades and now taking two tiny hits that result in large cracks is not bad luck but bad glass.

And this is an adventure vehicle? Not when any little particle will result in failure of your windshield! @Rivian, you gotta do better!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Fuyao!!!!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine’s taken several good rocks with no damage. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
Probably someone lost a spark plug.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Mine’s taken several good rocks with no damage. Sometimes you just get unlucky.
I've had several hard impacts as well going at interstate speeds and I flinch every time expecting to see a massive crack based on other people's experience but I haven't gotten one yet (knocks vigorously on every wooden substance within arms reach)

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've had several hard impacts as well going at interstate speeds and I flinch every time expecting to see a massive crack based on other people's experience but I haven't gotten one yet (knocks vigorously on every wooden substance within arms reach)
First superstitious person that gets the vinyl interior is really going to regret their choice.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I agree with this, had several hits in the rain and snow in temperatures between 20 and 70 on my trip, cringed each time but always checked when I stopped to charge and to my pleasant surprise found no damage.

OP
OP

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

Wow, some of you are living the good life. I batting 1k; 2 impacts & 2 cracked windshields. After the 1st one, I try to avoid getting behind large commercial trucks, now after this latest one, I have to keep back at least 200 ft behind a corolla.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow, some of you are living the good life. I batting 1k; 2 impacts & 2 cracked windshields. After the 1st one, I try to avoid getting behind large commercial trucks, now after this latest one, I have to keep back at least 200 ft behind a corolla.
Good luck, Hope your luck improves.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
On my drive back from Normal to Cali, I avoided driving next to any car in parallel lane for this reason--that the windshield is supposedly weak and it worked.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I've previously read several comments re the windshield glass and when my 1st windshield got a 10" crack from small pebble in Month 2 of ownership, I chalked it up to bad luck. But now in month 6 of ownership and windshield #2 cracked from a smaller than small, barely bigger than a grain of sand @ 60mph, the glass is crap!

Having had many vehicles hit by rocks, stones, pebbles, etc and not getting cracks for decades and now taking two tiny hits that result in large cracks is not bad luck but bad glass.

And this is an adventure vehicle? Not when any little particle will result in failure of your windshield! @Rivian, you gotta do better!
I don't think this is just a Rivian thing. Talking to non-Rivian owners and looking to my own roughly 60 years driving experience, well, to use an old guy phrase, they just don't seem to make window glass as tough as it used to be. There may be reasons for this (heated windshield, maybe), but boy, if there were an option for bullet-proof glass, I might just go there.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I don't think this is just a Rivian thing. Talking to non-Rivian owners and looking to my own roughly 60 years driving experience, well, to use an old guy phrase, they just don't seem to make window glass as tough as it used to be. There may be reasons for this (heated windshield, maybe), but boy, if there were an option for bullet-proof glass, I might just go there.
The reason for this is China / Fuyao.

Fencer

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
govt
I fixed two rock chips during nearly three months of ownership. I feel lucky being on WY roads. Nothing happened in Utah. Yet... :)

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I think it's just more of an "upright windshield" kinda thing. I have a 2021 Bronco, and, oh boy, the forums were going nuts regarding broken glass for months.

My '97 Jeep went through windshields like candy.
Sponsored