Cracked windshield, with a 3 month wait time

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
2000 miles driven in 90 days. On Saturday, got hit with something so small, me nor the passenger could see it. We barely heard it. Yet I have a 2 inch star burst. Been driving for 20+ years (MA and FL) and first issue I've ever had with a windshield. Safelite claims they'll only add resin because it's not larger than a dollar bill (yet). As if I want a bandaid on a vehicle with this price tag. I'm an hour from the Orlando service center so I may see what they say. Super upsetting!
Take the band aid- do you really want to wait months and risk other issues with a replacement? It’s totally worth a shot.
Sponsored

Reactions: VSG

sdasilva27

First Name
Sherrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Compass Yellow
Occupation
Engineer
Take the band aid- do you really want to wait months and risk other issues with a replacement? It’s totally worth a shot.
You're entitled to your opinion but mine is that I shouldn't have to choose between risking other issues or driving around with a resin filled starburst. What I got hit with, should not have caused this.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Many Rivian owners are frustrated with having to put up with their service charades. I thought about pre-ordering a R2 when available but after owning 3 Rivians and all the issues that came with them, I'll pass for now. I have even stopped recommending Rivian to my friends and colleagues for fear of retribution after a few nasty exchanges from my current referrals due to all the warranty issues they had to faced such as having to pay to send their Rivians back to the CS numerous times for warranty repairs.
Rivian's CSs are completely overwhelmed since early 2023, mostly by warranty repairs. They really need to focus more on product quality to alleviate this avoidable congestion. Opening up more CS is very capital intensive but fixing quality can be done internally with minimum added
cost. Problem with fixing quality is it requires strong and competent leadership and having the right personnel to carry it through; not everyone will be on board but with proper guidance from top down, it can be done, and Rivian needs to get this accomplished ASAP or sales will contunue to suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rad

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Certified body shops can do the replacement. I am having it done right now in Orange County. The shop says they do them frequently, and the wait is minimal (1-2 weeks for parts only).
How’d yours go? Rivian directed me to a shop in Costa Mesa near their service center, or an option in Anaheim.

My insurance wants to use Safelite, but I’m pushing for one of these two shops.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
European motor car works did the replacement.
They were great, only had the car 1 night, they ran the calibration and everything is good.
This was the nicest auto place I have ever seen. Super clean, all high end cars including 8-10 rivians, a bunch of lucid airs, some Aston martins etc.

It is around the corner from Rivian Costa Mesa service center. Highly recommended. It did cost about $500 more than the service center.
Saw your reply after my reply. Thanks for the review. 👍🏼🙌🏼

Sponsored

psturk

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I already had my windshield repaired twice in the first 6 months of ownership due to rock chips. The second one was actually a little too big to be repaired but I repaired it anyway knowing that it’s a pain (and expensive) to have the windshield replaced.

Don’t know if I’m unlucky but I’ve been driving the same commute for the past 15 years and never got rock chip so frequently. Maybe 5 times total before getting the Rivian.
Rivian windsheilds have zero crack resistance. If I didnt do resin repairs myself, I would have 3 windshields replaced in 9 months. Autoglass company directed me to fix my own as the locations and size of cracks do not allow them to repair.
Sponsored