OP
PoorPilot

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

That’s an interesting setup and thanks for the pictures. We’re about 2 months into an addition/renovation with a plan to update and upgrade our panel. I will have my HPWC on one circuit and I’m having another 220/240 installed in my garage on a separate circuit.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Bringing this thread back from the dead as I can't find anything related to ceiling mounting the charger on the forum. I'm thinking I'll be ceiling mounting so I don't put one more thing on my walls that I'll routinely run into. I can easily run a 220v anywhere in the garage as my panel is right there in the garage as well, but I'm seeing some mentions about the cable lengths on these chargers being fairly long so maybe I could mount in an area that I won't run into it and just loop the cable across the ceiling so it's right above where the charge port will be on the truck. Anyone seen spec's on the charger as to how long the cable is with the Wall Charger that we purchase?

Sponsored

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

Bringing this thread back from the dead as I can't find anything related to ceiling mounting the charger on the forum. I'm thinking I'll be ceiling mounting so I don't put one more thing on my walls that I'll routinely run into. I can easily run a 220v anywhere in the garage as my panel is right there in the garage as well, but I'm seeing some mentions about the cable lengths on these chargers being fairly long so maybe I could mount in an area that I won't run into it and just loop the cable across the ceiling so it's right above where the charge port will be on the truck. Anyone seen spec's on the charger as to how long the cable is with the Wall Charger that we purchase?
Specs on Rivian Home Charger
Dimensions: 16.3″ x 5.5″ x 7.8″ Cord length: 25′ Maximum charging speed: 11.52kW Maximum current: 48A Connection: Single Phase 240V AC via NEMA 14-50 outlet Connector: SAE J1772 Product warranty: 5 years

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'd wall mount it then use a pantograph/cable retractor to support it at the ceiling. Pull down, plug in.

Some options here:
https://www.evchargesolutions.com/category-s/1910.htm

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Specs on Rivian Home Charger
Dimensions: 16.3″ x 5.5″ x 7.8″ Cord length: 25′ Maximum charging speed: 11.52kW Maximum current: 48A Connection: Single Phase 240V AC via NEMA 14-50 outlet Connector: SAE J1772 Product warranty: 5 years
This doesn't compute. For 48A output it must be hardwired to a 60A breaker and you can't do that with a 14-50R. It would require a 14-60R receptacle and US code does not permit connecting EVSE (what this thing is - the charger in in the truck). Besides which a couple of people have been told by Rivian that they do not recommend plug connection of this EVSE. Where did these specs come from?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
This doesn't compute. For 48A output it must be hardwired to a 60A breaker and you can't do that with a 14-50R. It would require a 14-60R receptacle and US code does not permit connecting EVSE (what this thing is - the charger in in the truck). Besides which a couple of people have been told by Rivian that they do not recommend plug connection of this EVSE. Where did these specs come from?
I'm willing to bet that, similar to many of the other ~48A chargers out there, the charger has an installer configuration to limit the charger to 40A for use with a 14-50R. That way they can sell it as a plug-and-cord or hardwire unit (the latter necessary to realize the max capability).

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

I'm willing to bet that, similar to many of the other ~48A chargers out there, the charger has an installer configuration to limit the charger to 40A for use with a 14-50R. That way they can sell it as a plug-and-cord or hardwire unit (the latter necessary to realize the max capability).
Rivian

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think someone has combined parts of the Rivian Portable Charger and the Rivian Wall Charger.

This is what is on the Rivian site for both;

------------------ Wall Charger --------------

Why choose the Rivian Wall Charger
Made to keep you moving
Our Wall Charger connects via Wi-Fi and communicates seamlessly with the full Rivian ecosystem to receive over-the-air updates. Charging is capable of 11.5 kW — meaning, you can add up to 25 miles of range per hour of charging.

Connects with the Rivian app
All of this charging is, of course, seamlessly integrated with your Rivian app. This connection allows you to quickly set charging times, view your vehicle’s state of charge, check the charger’s status and receive important notifications.

Just plug in
Using the Rivian Wall Charger is very simple. Once you have it installed, just plug in your Rivian and walk away. You can even set start times based on your local electricity rate, or create different user accounts. It’s also capable of charging other EVs, using the SAE J1772 standard.

Warranty and Maintenance
Rivian Wall Chargers are designed as robustly as your vehicle, and weatherproof for flexible indoor or outdoor installation. The charger comes with a 5-year warranty on hardware. There is generally no maintenance required, just wrap the cable around the charger’s enclosure to keep things tidy. If an issue ever arises, just let us know and we’ll remotely diagnose the issue and send an electrician to check your Wall Charger in-person.

What’s included with the Rivian Wall Charger?
The Rivian Wall Charger is the fastest way to charge your Rivian at home — delivering up to 25 miles of range every hour of charging. It requires no maintenance, updates via OTA software updates, and you can monitor charging in real time through the Rivian app.

Dimensions

16.3″ x 5.5″ x 7.8″

Specs

25′ charging cord length

SAE J1772 connector

Utilizes a 240V outlet and requires installation on a 60 A circuit breaker for maximum current

Weatherproof for indoor or outdoor installation and use

Connects with Rivian app

5 year warranty

------------------ Portable Charger ------------------

Getting the most out of your Portable Charger

Standard equipment on every Rivian

The Portable Charger comes with every Rivian and can be used both indoors and outdoors, including during inclement weather. It packs neatly into its carrying case and stows conveniently in the front trunk.

Using the portable charger

The charger has an 18 foot cord and comes with a Level 2 adapter which plugs into NEMA 14-50

NEMA 14-50 refers to the type of four-prong 240V outlet — commonly used for household electric cooking ranges and often found at RV parks. There are other types of 240V outlets in addition to the NEMA 14-50, including the NEMA 14-30 which is typically used for electric dryers and water heaters.

You may be able to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in your garage, allowing you to charge your vehicle at home with our Portable Charger.

outlet. When using the included Level 2 adapter, the Portable Charger provides 7.6 kW. This means you can expect to regain about 16 miles of range per hour.

It also comes with a

Level 1

Level 1 Charging

A Level 1 charger utilizes a 120V outlet, which is a standard electrical outlet. These chargers offer the slowest charge times and can be used to top off your battery if needed.

adapter, which allows your Rivian to charge off of a standard 120V household outlet – just like the one used to charge your cellphone. When using the included Level 1 adapter, the Portable charger provides a slower charge, around 3 miles of range per hour. It’s useful in a pinch, but likely won’t be your everyday charging solution.

While we recommend a Rivian Wall Charger for the fastest at home charging speeds, the Portable Charger can be used as the main charging device. If using the portable charger as your primary charging method, we strongly suggest installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet and using the Level 2 adapter.

Seamless app integration

The Rivian app will show the vehicle’s charging status, charging speed and other relevant details no matter what it’s plugged into: Portable Charger, Wall Charger, Rivian Adventure Network, Rivian Waypoint, or any 3rd party charger.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
------------------ Wall Charger --------------

Why choose the Rivian Wall Charger
Made to keep you moving

What’s included with the Rivian Wall Charger?

Utilizes a 240V outlet and requires installation on a 60 A circuit breaker for maximum current
Unless there's been another code change that's not allowed.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The installation manual may clarify. If you commission it for 50 amp breaker then you can put a cord on it with the proper gland and plug and plug it into a 14-50R but I think technically if it is plug in the breaker must be a GFCI breaker even though the EVSE must have GFCI. More than one GFCI in series sometimes does not work out so well. This is one of those cases where a good electrician who knows how the local inspector interprets the code is so important.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If you commission it for 50 amp breaker then you can put a cord on it with the proper gland and plug and plug it into a 14-50R
I order to comply with code:
  • If the amperage can be adjusted it cannot have a cord and plug.
  • If a unit has the capability to be configured for different amperages, it must be hardwired to meet code. Even a hardwired unit cannot let the user do the adjustment.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
More than one GFCI in series sometimes does not work out so well.
Almost every electrician I talked to pushed me to a hardwired solution for this reason. It also saved me a small amount of money.
Sponsored