First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro
Occupation
Engineer
Being that it's not major collision damage, a "certified" repair shop is not required to make the repair.

The only unknowns if a certified shop is not used are how long would it take to obtain a replacement taillight assembly and is that $820.09 for parts the final cost for the taillight assembly?
Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
That is a lot of labor both in hours and the rate. The certified shop I used for a collision repair only charged $66 per hour. Is either of the shops one of your insurer's perferred? Perhaps the rate for my repair was the rate negotiated with my insurance company.

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 5.50.47 PM.png
Location, location, location. You won’t find a reputable body shop in our area under $100, and north of $125 is normal.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think a PDR guy could get the dent out pretty well, the issue is the taillight as that will need to be replaced as I am sure you already know.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It’s not fair to call it a ripoff. Certified body shops repair vehicles to factory new condition. They use all OEM parts and the repair is indistinguishable from factory new. It’s a different standard than the slap and tickle bondo boys making it look good from 20’ away until you hit a bump and the bondo falls off.

Just like anything else you get what you pay for.
I agree. My friend owns a few body shops. Just like eggs, everything has become tremendously expensive. It is next to impossible to find certified employees. My friend actually lamented the fact that he is seeing lots of accidents compared to pre-pandemic. People sat at home and forgot how to drive. I see so many near accidents and my office is 2 miles from my house.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Forgive my ignorance but I'm not well versed in insurance as I've never had to file a claim or deal with it. Why not just file a claim and pay your deductible? Is the concern that once you file an expensive claim your rates will skyrocket?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I haven’t even talked to my insurance agent since I intend to come out of pocket for a more conventional repair.
What’s quoted IS a “conventional repair”. A softball size glob o filler is amateur hour.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Being that it's not major collision damage, a "certified" repair shop is not required to make the repair.

The only unknowns if a certified shop is not used are how long would it take to obtain a replacement taillight assembly and is that $820.09 for parts the final cost for the taillight assembly?
I’m not sure if that’s true. I had to get my headlight replaced. I called Rivian and they said a non-certified wouldn’t be able to get the part. They also said they wouldn’t touch it because it was a collision. I also took it to a non certified place for an estimate per my insurance companies requirement, and the first thing they said to me when I showed up was "you do know we can’t fix this, right?"

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think they should have made that area rubber like many vehicles. Far easier and less costly to repair.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I don’t mean to be argumentative since I did ask for comments but I have had plenty of cars that have had minor bondo work and if done correctly they look good from up close and far away and I have never had bondo fall off. Still feels like big time overkill to me.
That's a very different concept than an OEM fix. If you want a shop to patch it with Bondo, just got to a regular body shop and tell them what you are looking for. The certified shops are going to repair it to Rivian specs.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Talk to your Rivian Service Center and ask if they have a PDR person.

I have a scratch and dent in the same spot, thanks to my valet, and I pointed it out to service and they said they have a local PDR guy that takes them out in that spot all the time, then touch it up. A few hours and a few hundred dollars.
I have an appointment for it on Thursday.

Otherwise, a body shop will replace THE ENTIRE SIDE OF THE TRUCK as it's all one panel. And aluminum. 15-20 thousand at least.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
If certified shop is going to disassemble the whole panel, remove welds, fix the panel and weld it back again, I would take the PDR over the certified shop. This is a cosmetic issue and I would not want to turn it into a structural issue. The shop may do a good job welding everything together, or may be not. I wouldn't gamble on it.

OP
OP

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Crazy. Although I took delivery with a tiny door dent and Rivian wants to replace the entire door as a fix. These things are delicate.
I understand that since it is a brand new

I agree. I actually found a replacement taillight on EBay for $250 plus tax. There are a number of companies selling salvaged parts from wrecked Rivians. The part looks brand new.
Sponsored