First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Impressed by that PDR restoration, too bad that didn't mention how much that was.

IIRC the PDR tech said 27hrs labor at maybe what $200/hr or is PDR higher than that/hr?
Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Glad you’re all okay. Rivian certified repair facilities have to replace anything with even a scintilla of damage so they try to find anything possible. In some ways it’s nice because they’re obligated to restore it factory-new condition, but dang it’s expensive. So few certified repair facilities exist that they can charge premium rates (as they should IMO if they make the investment to get certified) but insurance might fight you pretty hard about it. My driver’s door was severely scratched in a few spots and was almost $7,000 to repair. But the quality of repair should be about as good as you could ask for.
That’s absolutely right. I had what I considered a very minor dent in the back of my R1T and a Certified shop in Houston quoted me $5,500 to fix it. I was outraged. I ended up buying a replacement taillight on EBay for $250 ($600 from Rivian) and I got the entire dent, including the cost of the taillight, fixed for $900. My guy had to use a small amount of bondo which apparently is not allowed with a Certified shop. The repair looks amazing and I saved $4,500 and didn’t have to turn it in to insurance- I have a $1,000 deductible. It’s a good thing I found the taillight on Ebay since Rivian won’t furnish parts to non-certified shops. This requirement to use Certified shops is a huge problem and is one of the reason everyone is complaining about how expensive their insurance is. IMO it’s not a big deal using bondo since every repair shop I have worked with uses it.