Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

What I'm working on would definitely be 3D printed, but I am currently printing out the first prototype. I fully expect this to need several more iterations and modifications to fit the way I want it to, but I think I'm off to a good start

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_7166.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker Screenshot2023-03-2311.32.43
Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
That one of the contributing factors to why I (and likely others) haven't done anything in this space yet - We're uncertain what Rivian is planning. It could be a drawer. It could be a cover. It could be just a larger opening that makes the big area in front of the console just that much bigger.

The space itself it rather large, and frankly, without much going on inside of it. It's basically a horizontal hole with a latch and a pogo-pin 12V power connector at the very back. There are no guides or notches around the exterior of the hole. It is rounded at the side, rear, and front which makes using something off the shelf basically a no-go.

The latch at the back which is also seemingly the only way to keep something in the hole, also happens to be powered, so it will likely require a metal latch so it doesn't break when triggering close. I'm also not 100% sure if there is some connectivity using the pogo pins to signal if something is in there for the latch to be closable. If thats the case, it will be problematic. We will basically have to reverse engineer the pins to emulate the response from the speaker to get it to operate or do something kludgy like use magnets at the rear of the hole.

Size will also be somewhat difficult. This is juuuust big enough to make 3D printing more complex. It will likely need to be broken into different bits, and should likely be a combination of that + something like mesh or laser cut metal or plastic for the bottom and two sides. Injection molding isn't really an option due to the potentially very low volume of the item. Keep in mind that I would want to design an produce this in the US with real wages for the folks who are making it. Other vendors may have a different model, so YMMV there.

I don't think I would want to make a safe or similar. I think that additionally cuts down on the market, increases pricing, and likely others would do it better. It's more of a specialty item, even in a much higher volume vehicle like a wrangler.

The last bit is cost. Generally, I try to keep item cost down. This would likely balloon a bit in price - maybe to $100 or $150. Is that really viable for essentially a drawer? I'd really like to hear from folks that are interested. For me, personally, that feels like too much...
[
What I'm working on would definitely be 3D printed, but I am currently printing out the first prototype. I fully expect this to need several more iterations and modifications to fit the way I want it to, but I think I'm off to a good start

IMG_7166.JPG
Screenshot2023-03-2311.32.43.jpeg
Has anyone forensically opened up the OEM speaker? can it be gutted and re-purposed into a storage drawer?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

IMG_7166.JPG
This is pretty great! Excellent start! There will likely be a TON of issues when it comes to printability/manufacturability, but they are workable.

Has anyone forensically opened up the OEM speaker? can it be gutted and re-purposed into a storage drawer?
If someone has, I haven't seen it publicly posted anywhere.

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That one of the contributing factors to why I (and likely others) haven't done anything in this space yet - We're uncertain what Rivian is planning. It could be a drawer. It could be a cover. It could be just a larger opening that makes the big area in front of the console just that much bigger.

The space itself it rather large, and frankly, without much going on inside of it. It's basically a horizontal hole with a latch and a pogo-pin 12V power connector at the very back. There are no guides or notches around the exterior of the hole. It is rounded at the side, rear, and front which makes using something off the shelf basically a no-go.

The latch at the back which is also seemingly the only way to keep something in the hole, also happens to be powered, so it will likely require a metal latch so it doesn't break when triggering close. I'm also not 100% sure if there is some connectivity using the pogo pins to signal if something is in there for the latch to be closable. If thats the case, it will be problematic. We will basically have to reverse engineer the pins to emulate the response from the speaker to get it to operate or do something kludgy like use magnets at the rear of the hole.

Size will also be somewhat difficult. This is juuuust big enough to make 3D printing more complex. It will likely need to be broken into different bits, and should likely be a combination of that + something like mesh or laser cut metal or plastic for the bottom and two sides. Injection molding isn't really an option due to the potentially very low volume of the item. Keep in mind that I would want to design an produce this in the US with real wages for the folks who are making it. Other vendors may have a different model, so YMMV there.

I don't think I would want to make a safe or similar. I think that additionally cuts down on the market, increases pricing, and likely others would do it better. It's more of a specialty item, even in a much higher volume vehicle like a wrangler.

The last bit is cost. Generally, I try to keep item cost down. This would likely balloon a bit in price - maybe to $100 or $150. Is that really viable for essentially a drawer? I'd really like to hear from folks that are interested. For me, personally, that feels like too much...
I'm in for $150!

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

When I was measuring and mapping out the model, I did think briefly of how much easier it would be to gut the speaker, but I'm definitely not willing to throw my speaker under the knife for that.

Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

This is pretty great! Excellent start! There will likely be a TON of issues when it comes to printability/manufacturability, but they are workable.

Exactly! And since I don't work for any kind of production/manufacturing facility, I will likely simply share my design to let others print it. It is a large print, but thankfully I have printers large enough to handle it as a single object.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO

IMG_7166.JPG
I would love to give printing this a shot if you want to share the file.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I would love to give printing this a shot if you want to share the file.
I want to do the first test fit and modifications as needed. I will definitely be posting it on Thingiverse once it gets going.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If someone has, I haven't seen it publicly posted anywhere.
This is as close as I've seen. I decided not to tear mine down at all after seeing it. Looks like the panels all come off pretty easily but there's not a big open interior space from the "top" as it seems like a pretty solid core.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I'm glad you are all working away at this. My request is similar to above but effectively just want a normal locking glove box since we don't have one.

Battery related question: If I remove the camp speaker and leave on a shelf for 1-2 years without charging, will I completely destroy that battery? Its just not something I use much.
I still wish they had used the space inside for a glove box and put the speaker in under the hood.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I'm hijacking this thread--I would really like a 3D printed cup holder for the center floor storage area like the below. And yes, I've seen TWraps' product for this area, but I don't love the design or the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QG2ZZYH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FGLQCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I would pay $150+ for a lockable storage area in lieu of the camp speaker.
haha I just resisted the urge to add a cupholder request in my above post. I pulled the wireless charging mat out and think there might be enough depth now for some 3D printed cupholder up there.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I'm glad you are all working away at this. My request is similar to above but effectively just want a normal locking glove box since we don't have one.
My ultimate goal will be to have similar hardware in place on the drawer so that the camp speaker lock will still engage with the drawer, allowing you to lock and unlock the drawer just as you do the camp speaker. I suspect I know how the lock engages, but making it strong enough and durable enough will be the real challenge.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

My ultimate goal will be to have similar hardware in place on the drawer so that the camp speaker lock will still engage with the drawer, allowing you to lock and unlock the drawer just as you do the camp speaker. I suspect I know how the lock engages, but making it strong enough and durable enough will be the real challenge.
Would absolutely love that, keep up the good work!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Battery related question: If I remove the camp speaker and leave on a shelf for 1-2 years without charging, will I completely destroy that battery? Its just not something I use much.
I still wish they had used the space inside for a glove box and put the speaker in under the hood.
You will not, or at least no more than leaving it plugged in 24/7 for years.. It appears to be a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery inside of it.
Sponsored