Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Maybe I've been watching too much SuperfastMatt on YT, but have you considered using Send Cut Send to have this done in metal? Then it can be welded together, cleaned up, and painted/plastidipped/rubber coated and the inside lined with a felt-like material. It could provide a better finish and a stronger product than 3D printing. If that proof of concept works out and people start giving you money, it could be translated for use with your own metal working equipment (welder, CNC laser cutter) at home.
Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
Add me as another client once you have the final product. Thanks for tackling this this for us

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Here is what I'm at with it:

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker 1680931576668

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker 1680931650178

This is *VERY* early, but it's largely dimensionally accurate at this point and it will print on a Bambu X1 bed in the correct orientation to be structurally sound.

It's very likely to change. It will likely have a divider. The attachment mechanism that allows it to lock in will likely be completely overhauled.

I may completely redo it so it can be produced in aluminum instead of printed in plastic. I would likely look into powder coating that too. Alternatively, I may look to get it produced in a Carbon Fiber PETG or Nylon blend so it would be extremely robust. (I've actually been thinking about producing the Ultimate Pad in that as well...)

Pricing is likely going to be higher with this as it's likely a very limited run product. For just regular PETG, we're probably looking about $60ish each. A CF model would be closer to $100. For shits and giggled I looked to see what it would cost to get it CNCed. It was nearly $900 using my provider. 😆

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
One more quick picture. Keep in mind that the latching mechanism will fit through the holes on the rear of it.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker 1680935244224

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I wish we could figure out how to make this a lockable compartment…

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I wish we could figure out how to make this a lockable compartment…
My goal is to make this lockable with via the same method the camp speaker is.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

My goal is to make this lockable with via the same method the camp speaker is.
I’m talking mini-safe like lockable…say for “nerf guns.”

gotta keep those kids’ safe! Lol

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_2758

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m talking mini-safe like lockable…say for “nerf guns.”

gotta keep those kids’ safe! Lol

IMG_2758.jpeg
Damn, that’s actually a great idea.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I've been able to put a bunch of testing in this weekend, and I can confirm that locking is going to be quite difficult and require some level of reverse engineering. It appears that Rivian uses the pogo pins in the back of the space to sense if the camp speaker is inserted and it will only lock if that is the case.

I can confirm at this point that it is NOT pressure based. It appears to be driven by some sort of electronics. I suspect that it's either completion of a circuit or requires some level of resistance to actuate a software trigger. I think I'm going to see if there is a corresponding connector that I can order to experiment further. Ideally, I would really like to get both the software lock working and add 12V power to the container.

That said, I'm focusing right now on a more basic container - something that is close to the shape of the camp speaker, but is open. I want it to insert and latch into position like the camp speaker. As of right now, I have the dimensions largely correct and I'm focusing on the thickness of the panels and the design on the latch in the rear.

One big concern for me is printability and manufacturability. My initial print was nearly 400g of material and that is way too much. My last print was 162g, and its too low. The excellent design I saw earlier in this thread is probably way more than both combined -- each is a problem.

My current plan is to make the latch mechanism modular. I'm thinking it will slide into place and will be replaceable if it breaks, if there an upgrade for it, or when (if?) there is a model that supports charging and/or locking.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I've been able to put a bunch of testing in this weekend, and I can confirm that locking is going to be quite difficult and require some level of reverse engineering. It appears that Rivian uses the pogo pins in the back of the space to sense if the camp speaker is inserted and it will only lock if that is the case.

I can confirm at this point that it is NOT pressure based. It appears to be driven by some sort of electronics. I suspect that it's either completion of a circuit or requires some level of resistance to actuate a software trigger. I think I'm going to see if there is a corresponding connector that I can order to experiment further. Ideally, I would really like to get both the software lock working and add 12V power to the container.
That was my discovery as well. I suspect there has to be a completed circuit to engage the lock and short of just jumping the contacts (ill advised), I'm not sure how to determine which contacts need to be connected to complete that circuit.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

It's exciting to see more and more people working on this. I made some significant headway on my model, and it's interesting to see the different takes people are taking on the same design.

Nevertheless, with the announcement by RJ on the WVFRM podcast, I may just accept that I cannot compete with the manufacturer - even if "coming soon" is pretty unpredictable.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
That was my discovery as well. I suspect there has to be a completed circuit to engage the lock and short of just jumping the contacts (ill advised), I'm not sure how to determine which contacts need to be connected to complete that circuit.
Im hoping it's just applying a load, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't want to dissect my camp speak to find out either. :(

It's exciting to see more and more people working on this. I made some significant headway on my model, and it's interesting to see the different takes people are taking on the same design.

Nevertheless, with the announcement by RJ on the WVFRM podcast, I may just accept that I cannot compete with the manufacturer - even if "coming soon" is pretty unpredictable.

Concur here as well. I suspect that they're likely designed, ready to go in the previously announced explore model that was cancelled. They might actually be produced, sitting in a storage room in Normal for all we know.

I also think if I were given the option between a $100 (or even $200 or so) OEM tray or a plastic $50 aftermarket one, I'd roll with the OEM one every single time.

Finally, I'm pretty disappointed with the space available with this. The center console area feels both bigger and more accessible. I think for most people, organizing that area would be the simpler, acceptable solution. It may not even be large enough for some firearms.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Small Update:

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_1421.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_1422.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_1423.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_1437.JPG

I mentioned earlier that I was hoping to do a detachable bit in the back for future versions. Long story short is that it's not easily done so, I've updated my past design and can confirm that it works ... mostly.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker 1681090616713

So this largely works. It allows for storage where the camp kitchen is. It's printable using about 240g of material. It's almost structurally sound. :)

That's sort of where the good points end. Most of the bad points are around the latch. Having worked with it most of the day, there are two things that I want to point out:
  1. As mentioned earlier, there is currently no way to lock this without the speaker. Feelsbadman.
  2. The latch is more difficult to actuate than what you would think. The thiccness of camp speaker obfuscates this, and is likely the reason why it's like that. Without such a beefy latch, it would be a missile.
When it comes to this, both of those cause issues. The locking is self evident and is described above.

The second is more deceptive - the damn thing will need to be built like a brick shithouse so it can take the necessary slam required to latch it. Thicc sides and bottom, both front and back. (heh) Likely built from an ABS or PETG CF blend. A modular approach is much more difficult to pull off. When get there, this becomes much more difficult and costly to manufacture mainly due to the time it takes to print.

Looking at this from a sheetmetal fabrication perspective, I think there is absolutely a potential to have a mixed construction item with a large second of aluminum or an alloy in the center and custom printed parts on the end.

That then brings us to the latch receiver. I don't have faith that a 3D printed bit will work. It's also elaborate enough to require something like casting or CNCing to survive long term. That's what Rivian has done.

Color is also somewhat of an issue. It's clearly a dark anthracite grey. Batch production is limited to medium grey and black.

So, I'm not 100% sure where to go there. I'm happy to post the STL for folks to remix and print for personal use. I'm happy to collaborate with anyone who has ideas on it.

Feedback is really, really welcome.
Sponsored