SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

You will not, or at least no more than leaving it plugged in 24/7 for years.. It appears to be a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery inside of it.
Thanks! I wondered if they had it set to cycle somehow but that's good to know. Should fit a couple hats nicely in there until a glove box option comes along :)
Sponsored

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Do you bring your phone with you when you bike? If so, I suggest you just permanently get rid of keys, wallet, etc.

Don't really need anything other than a phone anymore.

My driver's license lives in my phone case, my phone is the key, and nearly every place I shop is set up for Apple/Android pay.
Digital key/wallet is cool, but consider having a backup in case battery dies, phone breaks, gets lost, etc. Having your own backup is best form of insurance.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I'm glad you are all working away at this. My request is similar to above but effectively just want a normal locking glove box since we don't have one.

Battery related question: If I remove the camp speaker and leave on a shelf for 1-2 years without charging, will I completely destroy that battery? Its just not something I use much.
I still wish they had used the space inside for a glove box and put the speaker in under the hood.
There is a USB C charging plug on the speaker. Just charge it occasionally. it would not be a requirement but it would be better for the battery.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

There is a USB C charging plug on the speaker. Just charge it occasionally. it would not be a requirement but it would be better for the battery.
Good point I didn't think about that being bidirectional and using it for music while hunting through my storage unit 😁 better than just tossing it on a shelf.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

First prototype is printed and fits. It even looks like I was a little bit conservative, and could make it slightly larger. The next step is figuring out exactly what holds the speaker in both with and without the lock engaged so that I can make the drawer stay in the slot the same way.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_7182.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker IMG_7181.JPG

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That one of the contributing factors to why I (and likely others) haven't done anything in this space yet - We're uncertain what Rivian is planning. It could be a drawer. It could be a cover. It could be just a larger opening that makes the big area in front of the console just that much bigger.

The space itself it rather large, and frankly, without much going on inside of it. It's basically a horizontal hole with a latch and a pogo-pin 12V power connector at the very back. There are no guides or notches around the exterior of the hole. It is rounded at the side, rear, and front which makes using something off the shelf basically a no-go.

The latch at the back which is also seemingly the only way to keep something in the hole, also happens to be powered, so it will likely require a metal latch so it doesn't break when triggering close. I'm also not 100% sure if there is some connectivity using the pogo pins to signal if something is in there for the latch to be closable. If thats the case, it will be problematic. We will basically have to reverse engineer the pins to emulate the response from the speaker to get it to operate or do something kludgy like use magnets at the rear of the hole.

Size will also be somewhat difficult. This is juuuust big enough to make 3D printing more complex. It will likely need to be broken into different bits, and should likely be a combination of that + something like mesh or laser cut metal or plastic for the bottom and two sides. Injection molding isn't really an option due to the potentially very low volume of the item. Keep in mind that I would want to design an produce this in the US with real wages for the folks who are making it. Other vendors may have a different model, so YMMV there.

I don't think I would want to make a safe or similar. I think that additionally cuts down on the market, increases pricing, and likely others would do it better. It's more of a specialty item, even in a much higher volume vehicle like a wrangler.

The last bit is cost. Generally, I try to keep item cost down. This would likely balloon a bit in price - maybe to $100 or $150. Is that really viable for essentially a drawer? I'd really like to hear from folks that are interested. For me, personally, that feels like too much...
If you make it sturdy enough where it can be used as gun storage 150 bucks is cheap for gun based accessories. My carry piece is over 1K when you count the holographic on top plus I would really hate the idea that a criminal got a weapon on my account so I don't leave a gun in the car now. It would be nice, and I would carry more, if I had the ability to have secure storage in the truck where I can put the gun for places I go where carrying is prohibited.

OP
OP

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
If you make it sturdy enough where it can be used as gun storage 150 bucks is cheap for gun based accessories. My carry piece is over 1K when you count the holographic on top plus I would really hate the idea that a criminal got a weapon on my account so I don't leave a gun in the car now. It would be nice, and I would carry more, if I had the ability to have secure storage in the truck where I can put the gun for places I go where carrying is prohibited.
I have the same situation. I currently use a rear seat safe but it’s inconvenient. Having a safe accessible while in the front seat is a game changer.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

For those who are looking for a "concealed containment" solution, I will be honest and say that's not specifically what I am designing this for. But I once I have a workable model, I will definitely be sharing it on Thingiverse with appropriate copyrights to allow for remixes and remodels with appropriate attribution.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
For those who are looking for a "concealed containment" solution, I will be honest and say that's not specifically what I am designing this for. But I once I have a workable model, I will definitely be sharing it on Thingiverse with appropriate copyrights to allow for remixes and remodels with appropriate attribution.
If it’s a lockable drawer that would suit the purposes of handgun storage pretty well.

Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Ready for us to pre-order?

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I'm still working out the bugs. The base model is fairly well modeled, but there's something keeping it from seating completely. Then I have to figure out how to install the "lock latch" so that the locking mechanism works.

Also, work has been super busy recently, so I haven't had time to focus on it.

Ducky

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Please keep working on it as your time allows. Your efforts are much appreciated. The extra storage would be extremely useful. I do not expect to make use of the camp speaker although I recognize many in this group enjoy it a great deal.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Please keep working on it as your time allows. Your efforts are much appreciated. The extra storage would be extremely useful. I do not expect to make use of the camp speaker although I recognize many in this group enjoy it a great deal.
I should hopefully have some time to work on it tomorrow. It's getting pretty close, but still needs some additional tweaking.

The trickiest part is going to be finding a way to engage the lock for additional security. That function may have to wait for a V2 design.

Nevertheless, your support is appreciated and I hope to make some progress on this project soon.
Sponsored