vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Chief Scientific Officer at Cancer Diagnostics
I love it the draft.
Ild like to see if I can print it in a matching interior color. Of course as you pointed out it sounds pretty beefy so it may take a long time on the personal printers.

But I agree I wouldn’t mess with it being lockable. It might just need like a rubber/tacky bottom or something so it doesn’t slide around.

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I love this idea. Thank you for all of your hard work. Please add me to the list.

I am guessing it will need a small rechargeable battery and contacts to interact with the lock.

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm in for a solution if we can get to one. Thanks for the effort! I'm so glad the earth is filled with people smarter than me.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've been dorking around with the model for this on and off for about the last month or so, and I think I'm closer to having something here, although admittedly a first generation product. From the last one I printed, here are the changes:
  1. A heavily tweaked rear end that includes a better aligned latch and sculpted cutouts on the side for alignment and easier insertion. (lol 🙃)
  2. Overhauled enclosure walls to be more structurally sound overall while minimizing overall printing material. All in we're looking at ~210g of material.
I'm also continuing my experimentation with different materials. I currently have an version on the printer going in a special type of ABS instead of PETG. It's the same new material that I'm using for updated versions of the Ultimate changing pads. It will likely be done tomorrow morning, assuming no warping.

The look of the item is similar to what I posted earlier in the thread. More shortly...

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker 1685496115854

Sponsored

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Are you planning to share the STL? I've got a roll of PLA-CF that I need a good excuse to use.

IMO I would optimize for strength and durability not saving money on filament. I'd much rather see more walls and increased infill even if it doubled the filament because you're only talking about $10-$20 increase depending on the filament.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Are you planning to share the STL? I've got a roll of PLA-CF that I need a good excuse to use.

IMO I would optimize for strength and durability not saving money on filament. I'd much rather see more walls and increased infill even if it doubled the filament because you're only talking about $10-$20 increase depending on the filament.
100% I renamed the company that's how strongly I believe in posting the designs.

Anything PLA based is probably going to be a bad time as it will deform with cabin temps in the 170's. Not sure about how having CF in it would affect, but feel compelled to say something! :)

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
It's a good question. I wasn't able to find a lot of real world data points but vendor specs say it can withstand anywhere from 135F (Bambulab) to 330F (proto pasta).

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Welp, the last model was a dismal failure. The sculpting needs to be larger. I'm continuing to work on this.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I appreciate all the work and ideas that have been shared in this thread.

Here is a drawer that I just purchased. Like the others, it doesn't lock because Rivian made that complicated - but it does use the latch to hold it, and I think it takes a very reasonable amount of pressure to insert and remove it.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker SpeakerDrawer

I am not sure what material it's made of; it looks like the shop owner uses PLA or PETG for different products. I hope it is PETG, though I can't tell by looking at it. But whatever it is made out of, it weighs 223 grams. It is not beautifully finished, but the shop owner was clear about that, and it is a drawer - I don't care. (He says he plans to have a carbon-fiber wrapped version).

The front wall/handle is lower than other designs in this thread; so some things might be more likely to spill out. On the other hand, this way I can easily stuff something in there without pulling the drawer out. It has two optional dividers.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console/Camp Speaker DrawerInserted

Of course I can't speak to longevity of the latching mechanism; but aside from that it is exactly what I wanted for this space. I have a compact umbrella and some gloves in there.

I bought it HERE.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I appreciate all the work and ideas that have been shared in this thread.

Here is a drawer that I just purchased. Like the others, it doesn't lock because Rivian made that complicated - but it does use the latch to hold it, and I think it is just the right amount of pressure to insert and remove it.

SpeakerDrawer.jpg

I am not sure what material it's made of; it looks like the shop owner uses PLA or PETG for different products. I hope it is PETG, though I can't tell by looking at it. But whatever it is made out of, it weighs 223 grams. It is not beautifully finished, but the shop owner was clear about that, and it is a drawer - I don't care. (He says he plans to have a carbon-fiber wrapped version).

The front piece is lower than other designs in this thread; so some things might be more likely to spill out. On the other hand, this way I can easily stuff something in there without pulling the drawer out. It has two optional dividers.

DrawerInserted.jpg

Of course I can't speak to longevity of the locking mechanism; but aside from that it is exactly what I wanted for this space. I have a compact umbrella and some gloves in there.

I bought it HERE.
Ordered! I love being a guinea pig.

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3