First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
The camp speaker is pretty cool but the reality is, I probably won't use it that much. Anyone out there have plans/abilities to convert that space into a locking compartment? I mountain bike a fair amount and generally do not like taking my keys, wallet, etc. with me. At the same time, I'm concerned about the smash and grab break in's common is So Cal. Converting the camp speaker plugin space into a mini safe would be very cool. I've looked at few gun safe manufacturers and it looks like they'd fit but securing them into place would be a challenge. I'm not quite ready to drill holes or manipulate the truck just yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Marc
Sponsored

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
The camp speaker is pretty cool but the reality is, I probably won't use it that much. Anyone out there have plans/abilities to convert that space into a locking compartment? I mountain bike a fair amount and generally do not like taking my keys, wallet, etc. with me. At the same time, I'm concerned about the smash and grab break in's common is So Cal. Converting the camp speaker plugin space into a mini safe would be very cool. I've looked at few gun safe manufacturers and it looks like they'd fit but securing them into place would be a challenge. I'm not quite ready to drill holes or manipulate the truck just yet.

Marc
The speaker latches into place using one of the Rivian-standard “accessory ports” on the bottom of the speaker (the same connector used for the crossbars). It shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate a sturdy box with a mimicked accessory port on the back that can use the locking mechanism already in place for the speaker.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I was actually thinking it would be a great place to store your gun, if you are into that sort of thing.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I mountain bike a fair amount and generally do not like taking my keys, wallet, etc. with me...

Do you bring your phone with you when you bike? If so, I suggest you just permanently get rid of keys, wallet, etc.

Don't really need anything other than a phone anymore.

My driver's license lives in my phone case, my phone is the key, and nearly every place I shop is set up for Apple/Android pay.

OP
OP

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
The speaker latches into place using one of the Rivian-standard “accessory ports” on the bottom of the speaker (the same connector used for the crossbars). It shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate a sturdy box with a mimicked accessory port on the back that can use the locking mechanism already in place for the speaker.
My thought as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
Do you bring your phone with you when you bike? If so, I suggest you just permanently get rid of keys, wallet, etc.

Don't really need anything other than a phone anymore.

My driver's license lives in my phone case, my phone is the key, and nearly every place I shop is set up for Apple/Android pay.
You’re probably right but there are a couple of other things I carry that I don’t want to take on the bike.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

100% with the OP on this one. Will NEVER use the camp speaker. Was thinking, would be nice to get another one, gut it and use it like a storage drawer. Likely the most costly way. And probably the time to get a replacement, just to gut it, would be years down the road.

As much as I love the interior, the interior storage space is atrocious! No glovebox, no center console in front. The arm-rest storage is deep, but very narrow. The little seat pocket things are VERY small and barely hold a few pens.

Between the speaker and all the open space, I'm just clamoring for someone to release a console storage that can be installed in that space. Tesla tried this same approach on the Model S, then offered a console to purchase separately, before realizing that almost EVERYONE wanted the storage space. The Tesla was just as bad, even worse as it didn't have door pockets or the armrest storage console. Most people don't want all their crap sitting out in the open in the middle of the floor. Rivian definitely missed the mark in this department. Why no glove box? What vehicle doesn't have a glove box? Plenty of storage out of reach of the driver with the frunk, gear tunnel, spare tire space, bed, etc. For as ingenious as they were in those areas, appears the same person wasn't assigned to design front seat storage space.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

100% with the OP on this one. Will NEVER use the camp speaker. Was thinking, would be nice to get another one, gut it and use it like a storage drawer. Likely the most costly way. And probably the time to get a replacement, just to gut it, would be years down the road.
If you're NEVER going to use the camp speaker you have, why not just gut it?

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Just hollow out the speaker.

Could something like this be scanned and 3d printed? I think an aftermarket speaker-shaped secure compartment would sell like hotcakes.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Time to start watching junkyards for wrecked 800hp trucks to scavenge the speaker. The trucks will be found next to the destroyed Tesla Plaids. 😄

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

More for resale. Figure next buyer may not feel the same way!
At the point of resale, hopefully you'll be able to buy one, or better yet, they will.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I was actually thinking it would be a great place to store your gun, if you are into that sort of thing.
Yeah good idea, wished they offered a lockable storage safe like GMC does for example that is perfect for storing a hand gun. Would get used plenty here in TX.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yeah good idea, wished they offered a lockable storage safe like GMC does for example that is perfect for storing a hand gun. Would get used plenty here in TX.
Was thinking the same thing....a fingerprint safe that locks into the same bracket as the speaker (and is therefore locked in when the car is locked or driving) would be a perfect accessory.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Would the ideal item be essentially a drawer that pulls out to allow folks to store items in there? A hollowed out speaker was mentioned?

I've been debating on making a drawer. Maybe with elastic cargo net walls or something, that would fit in there.
Sponsored