Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
My wife impulsively leased a XT a few years back. She hated it almost immediately and it went back before the lease ended. I hope they can follow through on this model but I haven't been excited by Cadillac for some time. My brother in law has a CT5 that he loves but it doesn't grab me.

OP
OP

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
I am most surprised by the lack of a Frunk. The Fisker doesn't have one either. Is this a signal that a vehicle has been engineered from an existing ICE platform rather than a dedicated EV platform? Hard for me to understand what they are filling up the engine space with.
From what I read about the lyriq, the space is consumed by the large onboard charger. Approximately 19kw IIRC.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I am most surprised by the lack of a Frunk. The Fisker doesn't have one either. Is this a signal that a vehicle has been engineered from an existing ICE platform rather than a dedicated EV platform? Hard for me to understand what they are filling up the engine space with.
Yeah, I was a bit shocked, too. But they utilize that space for the inverters, thermal management, and other electronics/hardware. From what I gather, they sacrificed the frunk to maximize space in the rear of the vehicle, which actually sounds like a good plan in my book (assuming the space sacrificed was comparable).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My wife impulsively leased a XT a few years back. She hated it almost immediately and it went back before the lease ended. I hope they can follow through on this model but I haven't been excited by Cadillac for some time. My brother in law has a CT5 that he loves but it doesn't grab me.
My opinion of Cadillac is that they're "fresh" for a year or two but they aren't worth keeping beyond that. Their designs don't age well, imo.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Ultium range on this thing? I know it's an SUV, but for a 100kwh pack to only get 300miles in RWD configuration is a bit underwhelming considering the hype/investment behind it

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Ultium range on this thing? I know it's an SUV, but for a 100kwh pack to only get 300miles in RWD configuration is a bit underwhelming considering the hype/investment behind it
Rivian has 35 kWh more but only the same range... If GM had put a 135kWh pack in the Lyriq it would have a 400 mile range. So no, I don't think the Lyriq battery/range performance is underwhelming.

People aren't going to be towing big loads with the Lyriq or going overlanding, so the "max pack" argument that Rivan enthusiasts have is less applicable to the Caddy.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's a really big upgrade from the Bolt, but that's also going to be an 8 year old design by the time the lyriq hits the market. COVID really messed up a lot of the timing on this generation of EV.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I have a reservation in for a Lyriq and will consider upgrading my Model S as they are approx the same size and the MS will be out of the 48month warranty in April. But I fully expect that the dealer will tack on some ridiculous ADM and I will have to pass. The interior is very nice and a huge step up from the Model S in quality (at least from the pics and initial videos) and features. And with the today's revelation that even LE R1S holders are looking at end of summer 22, I don't expect my Sep 21 R1S reservation to come in any time soon.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Here is a youtube video from what I guess is the Chinese debut. They do pop the trunk in the video for those wondering why there is no front storage. I do have a Debut Edition reservation, unsure if I will follow through with it, due to no AWD, but if I keep my Jeep, AWD isn't as important for weather.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Here is a youtube video from what I guess is the Chinese debut. They do pop the trunk in the video for those wondering why there is no front storage. I do have a Debut Edition reservation, unsure if I will follow through with it, due to no AWD, but if I keep my Jeep, AWD isn't as important for weather.
This is the first time I’ve seen the space inside of the front hood/Frunk area. With the rear wheel drive debut edition, it looks like there is some space that could have been made for a small Frunk. But that space is probably going to be used up by the front Drive unit when they launch the all-wheel-drive version. I’d say it’s not too much of a miss, because there is plenty of storage in the rear and hidden storage area in the trunk. To be honest I never use the Frunk in my model S.

Rivian R1T R1S Cadillac Lyriq. 2A5F2367-0BA4-4E8C-B91F-8718E3D05149

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian has 35 kWh more but only the same range... If GM had put a 135kWh pack in the Lyriq it would have a 400 mile range. So no, I don't think the Lyriq battery/range performance is underwhelming.

People aren't going to be towing big loads with the Lyriq or going overlanding, so the "max pack" argument that Rivan enthusiasts have is less applicable to the Caddy.
I mean, the lyric is only 64" tall. It's basically a stretched ID.4 that's still 2 rows. The efficiency makes sense. But it's not spectacular.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This is the first time I’ve seen the space inside of the front hood/Frunk area. With the rear wheel drive debut edition, it looks like there is some space that could have been made for a small Frunk. But that space is probably going to be used up by the front Drive unit when they launch the all-wheel-drive version. I’d say it’s not too much of a miss, because there is plenty of storage in the rear and hidden storage area in the trunk. To be honest I never use the Frunk in my model S.

2A5F2367-0BA4-4E8C-B91F-8718E3D05149.jpeg
I was just guessing a frunk storage tub isn't provided because of heat the may be created when charging at their advertised speeds, heat rises. GM is a little sensitive to charging fires right now, I'm ok losing a frunk if it helps cooling when charging.

This video is also where I noticed it has small door handles on the front doors, similar to the Mach E, which does make it look easier to pull open the front doors. I haven't noticed them in other videos, I wonder if they are new or just for the Chinese version (to be honest, they don't bother me, I've had tried to open a car door in the past that was covered in ice, and doubt a release button would be enough).
Sponsored

Last edited: