Sponsored

Beginners' guide to EV charging?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You said it’s not a code requirement and it is.
It is not a code requirement to be 32A. NEMA 14-50R supports up to 50A or 40A continuous. There are many UL listed and code-compliant 40A EVSEs that use a 14-50R pigtail.
Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
So for you guys that are hardwiring the charger to a 60A circuit, are you going to use the Rivian Wall Charger that we can order? Do we know if we can remove the cable portion that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 and hardwire directly? Or, are you using a third party charger?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So for you guys that are hardwiring the charger to a 60A circuit, are you going to use the Rivian Wall Charger that we can order? Do we know if we can remove the cable portion that plugs into a NEMA 14-50 and hardwire directly? Or, are you using a third party charger?
Rivian's Wall Charger is hardwired-only, afaik. Of course it would be trivial to install a NEMA 14-50 pigtail, Rivian does not officially support or condone the conversion.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rivian's Wall Charger is hardwired-only, afaik. Of course it would be trivial to install a NEMA 14-50 pigtail, Rivian does not officially support or condone the conversion.
I was thinking the same thing, until I read this blurb in the installation manual...
Rivian R1T R1S Beginners' guide to EV charging? 2022-02-22

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
2020 NEC (in effect here in WA) requires all outlets for EVSEs through a 50A breaker to have GFCI protection. Outlets is a broader term that includes receptacles and points where hardwire loads are attached (the j-box providing the wiring for the EVSE). That means any EVSE (hardwire or plug and cord) up to 40A (50A breaker) has to have circuit GFCI protection (generally on a breaker in the panel) upstream of the protection provided by the EVSE itself. 48A chargers installed on 60A breakers are exempt from this requirement.

The 2017 NEC (in effect in most of the country) didn't include a requirement for GFCI protection for hardwire outlets or 50A receptacles -- but an amendment that many jurisdictions (including CA) have adopted will generally require that receptacles be GFCI-protected.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I've been trying to read through all of the information on home charging and deciding how to wire for my impending R1T (sOOn). I've developed this table of info but want to make sure it's accurate - so please, those with more knowledge chime in and I will edit to correct inaccuracies:

Type​
Charge AmpsCircuit AmpsPlug TypeMiles / Charge Hr
Riv Portable Chrgr
Reg 120v​
~3​
Riv Portable Chrgr
32A​
40A​
NEMA 14-50​
~15​
Plug-in Charger*
40A​
50A​
NEMA 14-50​
??​
Riv Wall Charger
48A​
60A​
Hard Wired​
Up to 25​
* Non-Rivian plug-in Chargers (JuiceBox, ClipperCreek, etc.)

Assuming this is all correct, and given I don't put a lot of miles on my car any day (max ~50), I'm going to wire my house with a NEMA 14-50 plug and start by using the Rivian Portable Charger - the car will be available to charge 8 hours each night - that should be more than enough for my simple (non-trip needs). I can always juice it up over a couple of nights if I know I'm about to go on a trip.

If I find I want a little more umph, I can later buy a plug-in wall charger from a non-Rivian manufacturer. Also, if my wife gets an EV down the road, then I may choose to get a load-sharing 3rd party plug-in charger.

I do still have one question. Just to maximize my electrician's time (and lower my cost), would I be able to have them install a 60 amp circuit and connect that to the NEMA 14-50 plug? Or is the plug rated for a MAX amperage of 50 amps (as it's naming would suggest). My thinking would be if later I (or a new owner of my home if we sell) wanted to install a hard-wired charger, having the 60 amp circuit in place already would be helpful. But maybe that won't work??

Hope that's helpful to others as well!

Last edited:

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I do still have one question. Just to maximize my electrician's time (and lower my cost), would I be able to have them install a 60 amp circuit and connect that to the NEMA 14-50 plug? Or is the plug rated for a MAX amperage of 50 amps (as it's naming would suggest). My thinking would be if later I (or a new owner of my home if we sell) wanted to install a hard-wired charger, having the 60 amp circuit in place already would be helpful. But maybe that won't work??
An easy solution to this is just have them run 6-gauge wire, which is what you need to swap the breaker out for a 60-amp breaker later. Explain that you want to future proof so you can install a hard-wired, 60-amp wall connector later, so they know to leave some extra wire in place, too.

I think you have a really good plan though. We used the portable charger on a 14-50 outlet for our Model S for 6 years, only recently bothering to get a dedicated connector installed. I’m still using the outlet and capped at 40 amps. Personally I think that’s more than enough for home charging.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Serious question…why couldn’t you if it’s a 240v outlet?
You can. Just can’t use the dryer at the same time as you charge…. And those outlets aren’t designed for frequent plug/unplug cycles so they can get loose.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Serious question…why couldn’t you if it’s a 240v outlet?
Dryer circuits are usually 240V/30A on 10 AWG, capable of 24A continuous for an EVSE. There definitely are some with adapters that will work, but the plug on a typical 32 or 40A unit won't fit a dryer receptacle.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dryer circuits are usually 240V/30A on 10 AWG, capable of 24A continuous for an EVSE. There definitely are some with adapters that will work, but the plug on a typical 32 or 40A unit won't fit a dryer receptacle.
I ended up making a NEMA 14-50P to 14-30R adapter using parts from Home Depot to use with the mobile charger until I can get an electrician out to the house to install the Wall Charger. Gives 14-16 mi./hr. which is WAY better than 1 mi./hr. on a 120v outlet!

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I ended up making a NEMA 14-50P to 14-30R adapter using parts from Home Depot to use with the mobile charger until I can get an electrician out to the house to install the Wall Charger. Gives 14-16 mi./hr. which is WAY better than 1 mi./hr. on a 120v outlet!
Are you just using the vehicle to current limit that then?
Sponsored