Sponsored

Beginners' guide to EV charging?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Is no one planning on leaving one at the airport for several weeks? Maybe a month? Plugging in isn't an option. I would really want a way to go to a low energy use state.
You cannot be serious. Parking fee would be ridiculous, not to mention what might happens to your vehicle while parked for such a long time in a stall.

Uber?, Rental car (from home and drop off at the airport, and on return airport and drop off at home), friend/family, or some type of public transit?

Actually, this exact topic came up early in Tesla forum when Model 3 were starting to be populated. The best solution is to leave the vehicle plugged in at home and fine another way to get to the airport. That was about 3~4 years ago so there maybe a better answer.

What about going camping, a cabin, etc. There may not be an option for external power.
Most camp grounds and cabins have at least 110/120V outlet that you can plug travel charger that comes with EVs into. That said, its the owner's responsibility to make sure that there is a public charging station near by (just as you would need a gas station near by). It takes extra planning and may limit camping options. In Tesla, there is a Camp mode to significantly reduce power consumption and I'm sure Rivian will have something similar at some point, if not already.

It will be a matter of time until someone will come up with portable generator with DC EV charging capability (using either propane or lots of solar panels). it won't charge at any great rate but in a pinch, it should be enough to keep the vehicle alive and build charge up over time (days...:)
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
EVs charge the 12V system when the vehicle is "on" but the high voltage pack is disconnected when the vehicle is not on, for safety. Some EV owners (especially earlier Teslas) have complained about 12V battery life not meeting expectations.
The Teslas monitor the state of the 12V battery and when it gets low the computer closes the traction battery contactors and the low voltage battery charger charges the 12V battery. As long as there is charge in the traction battery the 12V battery will be kept charged so that the phantom drain can be supported.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Is no one planning on leaving one at the airport for several weeks? Maybe a month? Plugging in isn't an option. I would really want a way to go to a low energy use state.

What about going camping, a cabin, etc. There may not be an option for external power.
I can see a week or maybe 2 parking at the airport but for a month? I'd just take an uber there and back. Can't image the parking bill after a month!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The Teslas monitor the state of the 12V battery and when it gets low the computer closes the traction battery contactors and the low voltage battery charger charges the 12V battery. As long as there is charge in the traction battery the 12V battery will be kept charged so that the phantom drain can be supported.
And yet lots of Tesla owners have had 12V batteries fail prematurely...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes but it has nothing to do with them being disconnected from the traction battery when the car is "off". More to do with them being cheap batteries or too many charge cycles or the system allowing cycles that are too deep.

And while many Tesla owners may have experienced this I don't think it's that many,

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I can see a week or maybe 2 parking at the airport but for a month? I'd just take an uber there and back. Can't image the parking bill after a month!
Depends on the airport. Some have free parking. For me, 4 days is about the break even point vs taking a taxi.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
When Teslas can use over 15% of their battery per day in cold climates....It's a real concern to me. At that drain rate, the battery if at 100% would be completely dead.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thought this might be a good place to ask this question:

To address phantom drain when a BEV needs to be parked in the cold overnight, could you use an insulated car cover? Something to throw over the vehicle after you park to try and keep the heat from the battery/cabin escaping too quickly while parked in the cold. Is there anyone who makes such a thing for BEVs?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm not sure phantom drain increases as temperature decreases. In fact it ought be slower (Arrhenius equation) bit there are exceptions. In any case the battery is under the car so blocking off that area would seem to be the way to minimize cold soak.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Roughly speaking, the R1T should take about 2 to 2.5 kWh to travel a mile.
I see what you did here. You transposed the spec. Even the Hummer does better than 2 kWh per mile.

It would be 2 to 2.5 miles per kW or about .425 kWh per mile.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I see what you did here. You transposed the spec. Even the Hummer does better than 2 kWh per mile.

It would be 2 to 2.5 miles per kW or about .425 kWh per mile.
Oof. Youee right, Good catch.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Great to see so many supportive and helpful members here willing to help ! And you WILL have plenty of time to absorb it before your vehicle arrives. Like enough time to earn an associates degree at a minimum. ??‍?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I"m so confused! Hard wired charger install or not?

I ordered the Rivian wall and remote chargers. As a first-time electric owner, I'm going to be as prepared as possible!

I live in the Southern California desert, in a condo association, in a townhome; which I own. I have a private garage attached to my unit.

My power panel is upstairs in the main bedroom closet. and my washer and dryer are located in a room connected to the garage.

I think I have 2 open slots in my electric panel. See photo.

Am I a good candidate for the wall charger install?

power panel.png
I think others have addressed most of your question, but just to reiterate, you will have to get approval from your HOA to get that wall charger installed. If they approve it, my guess after seeing your panel is that you might need to upgrade that if you do want it installed, which is easily a $3k-$8k project. If that is the case and I were in your shoes I would not do it.

I live in an apartment. I have a garage, but obviously I can’t have a wall charger installed in a building I don’t own. My plan is to simply plug it into the wall using the basic charging cable each night When I get home from work. Rivian’s website says plugging into a regular outlet will get you a “few” miles per hour, which if you figure you leave it plugged in for 10-12 hours a day at home would add up to 24-36 miles per session depending on what your definition of “few” is. That should be more than enough to replace what I used each day for my commute. If I need to top off for a longer drive I plan to hit the Electrify America DCFC about 10 minutes from my house.

Bottom line, there are lots of great ideas on the best and most effective ways to charge. This is my first BEV also and I plan to use it like Any other vehicle. If it’s not possible or not cost effective to install your wall charger, you should be fine to plug it into the regular wall outlet in your garage. Or if you don’t want to leave it plugged in all the time, just hit up the local DCFC when you need more juice. Don’t overthink it. Just enjoy your wonderful new R1S!

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Also, for home charging I know that a 60amp circuit will charge faster but are there any reasons to go with a 50amp instead?
If you don’t want to install a hardwired charger. Plug-in chargers can only be on a 50V branch ckt as far as i know.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
If you don’t want to install a hardwired charger. Plug-in chargers can only be on a 50V branch ckt as far as i know.
Up to 32 amps on a 40amp circuit (240 volt split phase).
Sponsored