discsinthesky

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicles
Honda Element
So, my question for forum members is: go all-in and, by that, I mean no backup vehicle or, be sensible, of course you keep a backup vehicle?
All in! We recently went down to one car (fortunate to live somewhere where bikes/ebikes provide sufficient backup. Hoping to be a one car family from here onward.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
All in! We recently went down to one car (fortunate to live somewhere where bikes/ebikes provide sufficient backup. Hoping to be a one car family from here onward.
All in also! I sold my Mini Cooper S in June, that for the most part, was just sitting in the garage depreciating. We’re both retired, so it’s fairly easy to adjust to one vehicle. Having a JuiceBox 40 installed in the garage to prepare for the R1S, and take advantage of the Federal Tax Credit before the end of the year.

Frank Rast

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicles
2012 Mini Countryman, 2004 F-150
Occupation
Retired professional engineer
Keeping our 2012 Mini AWD Countryman

catmandew

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 2.0T, Lexus ES 350, Chevrolet S10
I haven't seen this mentioned, but it's encouraging that Rivians are designed for off-roading & they appear to be testing them for it. This should create good input for design adjustments, materials choices, and identification of manufacturing processes/steps that merit extra attention & QC before production ramps up. If Rivians are going to be good for off-roading, they should be even more reliable as daily drivers.

Another point of encouragement is that Rivian has hired a significant number of personnel from Detroit area vehicle & parts companies. This is conjecture, but I'd like to think Rivian is intelligently blending old-school know how with their new technologies. That would be in contrast with Tesla, who in certain respects has arguably pushed things too far (e.g., overly automated assembly, Falcon wing doors, etc) and has paid a price for it.

With respect to the evolution of batteries, if you thought that better batteries would be available in a year, would you wait? But then, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that even better batteries would be available in another year, etc? My thinking is to decide what is good enough (esp. range & recharge time), and buy when & what satisfies your specs.

Finally, with respect to teething pains & servicing convenience, I plan to keep another vehicle on hand for the first year or so of Rivian ownership just in case the Rivian needs to spend time away for tweaks/repairs.