Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yep, Quad motor... 98& of the time drive in All-purpose at standard height (Auto-ride height turned off).
It does not appear better after the fix.
Steering wheel has to be held to the left while driving down straight road (see pic).
Tire wear (pic) prior to first attempt at fixing the issue is only the outer rim of the passenger side front tire (remainder of tires, including that very tire's inner rim, is with expected/normal wear).

IMG_2846.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg
Doing an alignment on unevenly worn tires is a losing battle for Rivian. I'd ask them to replace at least the front two and then fix it.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You completely missed the point....unless of course you think that pulling hard to the right (or left) would be normal in a Rivian when it's obviously not normal on any other vehicle on the same roads the OP drives.

Rather than insult someone's intelligence, I'd choose not to suggest it's normal operation when it's so obviously not. It's a "this isn't my first rodeo" deal...
You completely missed my point and instead are just insulting my intelligence?

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Doing an alignment on unevenly worn tires is a losing battle for Rivian. I'd ask them to replace at least the front two and then fix it.
Yep, they replaced the worn one ("Free of charge"), but made me pay for the unaffected tire to get the alignment "right" on my last fix... Still didn't work.

The Quad motor explanation makes sense to me... Just frustrating they haven't figured it out.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Because how many other quad motor vehicles have they driven? There's a reason other companies haven't done it, including Tesla who said they were going to for the Cybertruck. The control systems are incredibly difficult to get right. You can't just drive every wheel at the same RPM/power/torque and drive straight down a road that's not flat. I would be incredibly surprised to hear that Rivian has just as many alignment concerns on dual as the quad that are coming off the line today.
I don't think the driven wheels(QM vs DM) have alot to do with it. Mine pulled right in beginning and I had them realign. Got much better to point now it simply pulls in direction of road crown.

I have had many cars that pull with road crown...

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I've had two R1Ts (both quads) and both have the left leaning steering wheel when driving down straight roads. These are roads I've driven down with several other vehicles and their steering wheels are always straight and centered, so I don't know what's going on with the Rivians. I've taken both R1Ts in more than once to service centers to fix the issue, but they've never been able to. I've had to just accept that the truck's wheel is a few degrees to the left when tracking straight.

If selling the truck and getting an Enduro were relatively easy, I'd probably do it, but otherwise don't want the hassle. Plus, I'd be crushed if I went through all the effort and had similar issues with the Enduro.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There is a growing theory that mismatched motors can cause pulling and tire wear issues. Mismatched motors can happen. In fact, it would be pretty hard to get four motors exactly matched, so the condition may exist to one degree or another in a lot of the QM's out there.

As to your question, yeah, a lot of us sold our R1s. I sold my first one because I too was unhappy with it. In my case, I turned around & bought a new Enduro unit & could not be happier.

So yeah... if it is not working for you, sell it & get one that does work for ya.
While I can see very slight variations in motors due to manufacturing tolerance variations, mismatched motors really should not be an issue if the inverter/controller hardware and software is designed properly. In manufacturing control systems the VFDs (Variable Frequency Drive) can easily compensate for minor variations in motors and can run multiple motors within a fraction of an RPM and torque accuracy. I would hope that RIvian's controller firmware & software is functioning at the level of a modern industrial VFD but perhaps not....?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don't think the driven wheels(QM vs DM) have alot to do with it. Mine pulled right in beginning and I had them realign. Got much better to point now it simply pulls in direction of road crown.

I have had many cars that pull with road crown...
Considering Rivian has mentioned making adjustments because of this in their older patch notes, I'd disagree with you.

Yep, they replaced the worn one ("Free of charge"), but made me pay for the unaffected tire to get the alignment "right" on my last fix... Still didn't work.

The Quad motor explanation makes sense to me... Just frustrating they haven't figured it out.
I highly suspect that there is enough variation in how they can get a vehicle into "proper alignment" to at least exacerbate these issues. The steering isn't exactly on center in our R1S but letting go of the wheel on a flat road doesn't cause it to dive in either direction. If I do the same on a road that is heavily crowned it quickly wants to migrate in that direction. My R1T is pretty well centered after the last adjustment but still doesn't track straight on a crowned road. I wouldn't call this 200 feet though, more like maybe 500-800? I don't have extensively uneven wear now but I did before the first alignment in my T.

I don't know the specifics behind what they are doing to correct alignment issues, but they really need to start by making sure the vehicle is tracking the same in the rear (tires should be equidistant from the vehicle centerline) before doing anything else.

I hope they can get you squared away and I apologize for threadjacking about it.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i have the "crooked" steering wheel issue very similar to yours where its a few degrees to the left in order to track straight. ive had it addressed 3 times by the SC. from what i can tell all they do is an alignment. the first two times was within the first 1000 miles so i dont think tire wear had anything to do with it. i dont think they know how to fix it, ive given up asking. unless someone knows what specifically i should ask them to check.

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
i have the "crooked" steering wheel issue very similar to yours where its a few degrees to the left in order to track straight. ive had it addressed 3 times by the SC. from what i can tell all they do is an alignment. the first two times was within the first 1000 miles so i dont think tire wear had anything to do with it. i dont think they know how to fix it, ive given up asking. unless someone knows what specifically i should ask them to check.
Right, I think the wear on my tires resulted from the alignment rather than caused it…but I’m not smart enough to figure that out either! Haha!

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
Oh yeah, that Yellow Rivian R1T of mine was not ideal and it had to go: weak breaks for such a heavy vehicle, noise from suspension when driving slowly over paved roads with even smallest of potholes and how least efficient this car was were the main reasons. Yeah, it had a big battery, but the electrons were disappearing fast and recharging took longer to get back the same distance i was getting before with my more efficient EV cars.
I should add, it really bugged me that not having music playback from a USB source added over-the-air was a bummer. It seems to be a low hanging fruit to add that functionality and we have asked for it.

Now, if you really want to drive an EV and enjoy it, try a Taycan.

Last edited:

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
No, my Yellow R1T is best vehicle I have ever owned. Mine drives straight and no issue 14 months in. Bought more stock today. Did pretty good on options priori to earnings because EVs ARE DOOMED

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I sold my QM R1S (which was awesome) and replaced it with a DM R1T (better for my needs). Did not experience any of the issues you are having (sorry to hear, totally sucks). Only issue with the R1S was a minor alignment problem that got solved in a service visit. R1T has no issues so far (and rides better and has better range so very happy with that)...

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I might've missed it in the thread but how many miles are on those tires? 'cause that looks atrocious. 😢

There've been people on here who've sold their vehicles. Usually they quit the forums after that, not many people (that I've seen) stick around. So you might get a biased opinion asking "has anyone sold their Rivian?"

That said, I'm in the camp of "this is the best truck I've ever owned". I didn't come from driving Porsche's or McLaren's like apparently some of the folks on here did, but compared to my three previous Chevy trucks, and literally every other car I've owned, the Riv is "night & day" better. No issues with alignment, in fact it seems to have improved since I got the vehicle - 99% in all purpose standard ride height with Auto turned on.

I also agree with the other comment about "bought more stock today". I did the same, haha.

It seems like some folks definitely got a "Friday truck" (or is it "Monday"?). Good luck, hope you're able to get your issues resolved, and thanks for posting constructively instead of just b****ing, LOL. 😆

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Considering Rivian has mentioned making adjustments because of this in their older patch notes, I'd disagree with you.

I highly suspect that there is enough variation in how they can get a vehicle into "proper alignment" to at least exacerbate these issues. The steering isn't exactly on center in our R1S but letting go of the wheel on a flat road doesn't cause it to dive in either direction. If I do the same on a road that is heavily crowned it quickly wants to migrate in that direction. My R1T is pretty well centered after the last adjustment but still doesn't track straight on a crowned road. I wouldn't call this 200 feet though, more like maybe 500-800? I don't have extensively uneven wear now but I did before the first alignment in my T.

I don't know the specifics behind what they are doing to correct alignment issues, but they really need to start by making sure the vehicle is tracking the same in the rear (tires should be equidistant from the vehicle centerline) before doing anything else.

I hope they can get you squared away and I apologize for threadjacking about it.
Maybe but with the software change, mine tracks exactly as I would expect it to. No different than any other all terrain tire vehicle or wider summer tired vehicle I have.

I am at 35k and my tires say I have no alignment or pulling issues. Probably another 10k in them.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I’ve driven both QM and DM a couple times now and the steering just seems to feel tighter and more accurate on the DM. It could just be a fluke I suppose; has anyone else noticed this? The QM I drove had the slight pull and the wheel felt looser. The DM I drive was tighter and did not pull.
Sponsored