Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
I’ve been losing about 3-4% every night since the last update. It used to be 1% pre update.

this is my first EV, and what I’ve heard is that colder weather will definitely affect my efficiency, so I’m still unsure if the drastic change is to be expected, or if it is a bit more than expected. At the moment, half of the energy I’m putting into the truck is just being sucked out by vampires and not used to travel! 🧛

still love the truck though!
Sponsored

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Vampire drain on my Tesla X is about 3wkh/day...sucks... It's one month of solar production for me.
(so it's like I spent 3000$ of my solar roof to take care of vampire drain)

No I have Rivian too. Still new at it so I am not sure if it's bad yet! But if it is bad too I'd be wasting even more of my solar production.

Nice I have Bolt and 2 Ioniq5 with zero vampire drain!

(I have free supercharging on Tesla near my house; I wish Rivian would offer 1000kwh per year to cover Vampire losses)

Reactions: Rad

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Question for you who have seen vampire drain (I have not seen yet0;

Is the vampire drain Kwh shown on the trip meter? So far every morning I look and it it should the same Kwh total as the night before.

I also got 120Kwh running from 100 to 0 percent try over 3 days ( 2 nights) so it seems my vampire is not bad?

Deleted member 7086

Left my R1T at the airport for five days over Thanksgiving. Average high around 50, average low around 20 - 25. Turned off WiFi, prox sensor, gear guard and did not use phone app while gone. Lost 13%.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Left my R1T at the airport for five days over Thanksgiving. Average high around 50, average low around 20 - 25. Turned off WiFi, prox sensor, gear guard and did not use phone app while gone. Lost 13%.
they gotta get this down in the single digits, 1% per day….they’ll get there, my Tesla has gotten much better over time.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Both my X and R1T pull about 1% a day. I’d say they are there. This is in heated garage at 65F.

Yota2R1T

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Solar PV professional
Clubs

Reading this thread with considerable interest and concern . . .
Planning to use this truck in Calgary, Canada where it will often sit in cold weather for 4 to 5 months of the year (14F to -5F common). We travel to the mountains in winter for multi-day ski tours, sledding, etc. In your opinion, is this not a cold-weather adventure vehicle?
Has anything been written about the amount of energy that will go into keeping the battery warm?
My current point of reference is our 2015 Leaf, that operates just beautifully in the cold; as far as I can tell has no parasitic power draw. Of course we count on reduced range in the cold, but totally manageable and different use-case than this new vehicle, which will replace our mountain-going vehicle.
I think my question is mostly answered by reading through what has been written here, but still looking for some additional beta on battery warming, coupled with standard parasitic draw from the computers, etc.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if I've missed a post that already addresses this!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Reading this thread with considerable interest and concern . . .
Planning to use this truck in Calgary, Canada where it will often sit in cold weather for 4 to 5 months of the year (14F to -5F common). We travel to the mountains in winter for multi-day ski tours, sledding, etc. In your opinion, is this not a cold-weather adventure vehicle?
Has anything been written about the amount of energy that will go into keeping the battery warm?
My current point of reference is our 2015 Leaf, that operates just beautifully in the cold; as far as I can tell has no parasitic power draw. Of course we count on reduced range in the cold, but totally manageable and different use-case than this new vehicle, which will replace our mountain-going vehicle.
I think my question is mostly answered by reading through what has been written here, but still looking for some additional beta on battery warming, coupled with standard parasitic draw from the computers, etc.
Thanks in advance, and sorry if I've missed a post that already addresses this!
Add my name to the list of people concerned about this. My Mustang Mach-E GT has no vampire drain. It can sit for days and still have the same charge level.

It does not have anything like Sentry Mode or Gear Guard. It uses the LVB for all accessories when the car is off. It only utilizes the HVB if the LVB drops to 40% SoC. Then it wakes up, charges the LVB, and goes back to sleep. If operating normally, nothing drains the LVB that quickly anyway so the HVB is never needed when the car is off.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had a short business trip the past 24 hours and parked in Denver The Airport in under 20° temperatures. My Tesla model three long range dropped from 67 to 59% in about 24 hours so this is not just a Rivian issue.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had a short business trip the past 24 hours and parked in Denver The Airport in under 20° temperatures. My Tesla model three long range dropped from 67 to 59% in about 24 hours so this is not just a Rivian issue.
At those temps some EV's will spend energy trying to keep the battery at optimal temps.

People here are complaining that their Rivian's are seeing excess battery drain even in 50-80F temps which are optimal battery temps.

EDITED to change original statement of "every EV" to "some EV's".

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

At those temps every EV will spend energy trying to keep the battery at optimal temps.

People here are complaining that their Rivian's are seeing excess battery drain even in 50-80F temps which are optimal battery temps.
Negative...most EVs won't do anything. My MINI sure as hell doesn't condition the battery in cold temps.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Negative...most EVs won't do anything. My MINI sure as hell doesn't condition the battery in cold temps.
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said "every" EV..

Our Model 3 does try to keep it's battery warm during cold outdoor temps.
Our i3 doesn't do anything (that I'm aware of).
My Bolt didn't do anything either IIRC.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
At those temps some EV's will spend energy trying to keep the battery at optimal temps.

EDITED to change original statement of "every EV" to "some EV's".
Yes, agree, just thought it was interesting and wanted to add it as a datapoint.

FWIW, I saw a RB Rivian R1T at the chargers on the way out of the DIA garage!

Yota2R1T

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Solar PV professional
Clubs

Maybe Rivian is just a front to get everyone to buy & power mobile Ethereum mining rigs for them. Decent rigs seem to pull about that much power/day.
This is the best explanation I've seen so far!
Sponsored