Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don't, it doesn't reliably connect to my wifi when sleeping. That said, I find it hard to believe it would need to download anything for an hour at a time. The connection is pretty good, 50 mbps+ on cellular.
I have a gigabit fiber connection and my R1T will transfer many GBs of data in a session. I'm not sure if they intentionally throttle it, or not, as it never uses my full connection... But I have seen it upload at ~100Mbit/sec for sustained periods of time.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I don't know about that. The last few updates they claimed there were significant improvements, and there weren't, at least not for me.
It's been documented how much it has improved over several updates. It had been cut in half or more before this latest one.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't know about that. The last few updates they claimed there were significant improvements, and there weren't, at least not for me.
Agreed, I saw no improvement when they said there would be....so that's why I think they are just fixing it silently without fanfare and not listing it in the update notes.

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's been documented how much it has improved over several updates. It had been cut in half or more before this latest one.
That's what they said, but that's not what I measured. I measured no change at all in the 2 updates before 2022.39.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
That's what they said, but that's not what I measured. I measured no change at all in the 2 updates before 2022.39.
I'm not going off what they said, I'm going off what's been recorded and logged by others. All the vehicles don't exhibit the same behavior, so your experience won't always be the same as others or the average. For example, at it's worst I don't think I ever saw more than 2-2.5% per day drain. However, early on many saw much higher than that. So improvements are being made on average, but may be less noticeable by individuals.

Sponsored

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I won't disagree that some trucks are much worse than others. But the release notes didn't say that they were improving outliers, they said stuff like:
  • Reduced battery drain while the vehicle is parked by an average of 10%. (2022.31)
And
  • Improved range loss over night (15% average improvement) (2022.27)

It would be weird for them to suddenly be bashful today.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
There's also a significant change in the sleep/wake cycle. The long wake cycles correlate with the battery dropping in both charts. It's nice that they've increased the length of the sleep cycles, but they really need to decrease the length of the wake cycles.

1666875779688.png
Where do you get this and the big long term SOC graph from?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I won't disagree that some trucks are much worse than others. But the release notes didn't say that they were improving outliers, they said stuff like:
  • Reduced battery drain while the vehicle is parked by an average of 10%. (2022.31)
And
  • Improved range loss over night (15% average improvement) (2022.27)

It would be weird for them to suddenly be bashful today.
Well they don't apply unique software versions only to certain vehicles, that's for sure. But from their perspective anything they mention is going to apply to the fleet as a whole/average, of which we are all data points on a bell curve and what is 10% to one is 1% or 20% to others.

But the point remains, they have unequivocally improved this significantly in previous updates, both quantitatively, and anecdotally just through observation of the vehicle's behavior over time. The truck now sleeps much harder, takes longer to wake, runs fans less, etc. Those all accumulated before this recent update, and I was down to perhaps 1% per day, oftentimes as low as 0.5%.

As for this update, don't know why they wouldn't call it out. But, there are things in every update that aren't called out.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can anyone update their vampire drain with colder temperatures?

Truck was off all yesterday and experienced 313wh average drain per hour. (over 4% over 16.5 hours)

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Can anyone update their vampire drain with colder temperatures?

Truck was off all yesterday and experienced 313wh average drain per hour. (over 4% over 16.5 hours)
What I’m seeing right now is definitively higher than it was pre-last update/colder weather. So not sure if it’s because of the update or cold weather, but either way this is going the opposite direction.

Update:
Mine was ~1.5-2% and now I’m seeing~3-3.5% with my garage temp being 40-50F. I have changed nothing with the truck settings.

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Seeing about 5% per day with the temperature in the 20s (most of that loss seems to be overnight). Gear guard off. Used to be around 2% per day when temps were in the 70s.

Jtg11

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Mustang Mach E GT, Audi Q5,
Clubs

just returned from a 23 day trip. Here are the results:

Location - Dayton OH
Temps 15-75 (haha)
Insulated attached Garage ... even when cold out, cabin temp was about 50 degrees.
Everything off, Climate, Radio, Gear Guard, Locked, left in Auto Drive Mode
I would check the app every couple of days just to check on drain.
SOC at departure = 70%
SOC on return = 42%
software version = 2022.39.0 when left, day 3 truck auto updated to 22022.39.3
Drain = 1.2% / day
Getting better, when I received my truck in March, I was at 3-4% per day drain.
Improving over time

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seeing about 5% per day with the temperature in the 20s (most of that loss seems to be overnight). Gear guard off. Used to be around 2% per day when temps were in the 70s.
Those are my current ambient temps as well and seeing similar. Drain is significantly higher than before.

This amounts to 20% of my household (7 humans plus dog) going to R1T vampire drain :(

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Those are my current ambient temps as well and seeing similar. Drain is significantly higher than before.

This amounts to 20% of my household (7 humans plus dog) going to R1T vampire drain :(
Yes, it’s a significant part of our power budget as well. In fact, I think we use as much energy driving as we do on vampire drain right now.

Over the summer, I did test shipping mode and found that the drain dropped to below 1%. I am tempted to try this but should I worry that it might result in damage to either the HV or 12V systems? I would be less worried if I didn’t have to park outside while we remodel.
Sponsored