Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
I am wondering if there have been any (comprehensive) testing of vampire battery drain when a Rivian is parked for an expanded period of time (over 2 weeks)?
Sponsored

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Mine is sitting at the airport now. Will only be 4 full days but so far looks to be 2.5% per day. Gearguard is turned on.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Mine is sitting at the airport now. Will only be 4 full days but so far looks to be 2.5% per day. Gearguard is turned on.
That seems somewhat high especially if traveling for 2 weeks ( during the summer). Driving to the airport is ~42 miles one way.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
God I hope not, 3kW/h a day sitting idle sounds like a tremendous waste. I remember all those suggestions to unplug phone/laptop chargers to avoid that half watt of idle drain or whatever but that's not going to mean much if our cars take 100W just sitting around.

If it's for cameras/tracking or something then there ought to be a long term storage mode that just shuts most everything off like if you're away from home a while and have the vehicle garaged, etc, etc.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That's insane. I just left my MINI SE at the airport for 3 days and lost 1% for the whole period...of a 32.6 kWh pack.

Sponsored

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Well it’s not good news. Way worse than I first thought. I lost 14% SOC IN 72hrs.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Well it’s not good news. Way worse than I first thought. I lost 14% SOC IN 72hrs.
That is pretty par for the course with my Tesla with Sentry Mode enabled...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That is pretty par for the course with my Tesla with Sentry Mode enabled...
Keep in mind the Rivian has a larger battery pack, so 14% on the R1T is more watts than 14% on a Tesla.

135kW * 14% = 18.9kW / 3 days = 6.3kW per day / 24 = 262.5W continuous draw.

That sounds like a lot, to me.

Same math on a Model Y with a 75kW pack would be 145.8W, or just over half the Rivian draw.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
That is really insane. Granted I don't have gear guard / sentry mode, but just returned to my car after 12 days of vacation. Lost 1%. I was out for 20 days once and it was still 1%. With Rivian I guess I would have to park at the airport with 100% :-D

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Keep in mind the Rivian has a larger battery pack, so 14% on the R1T is more watts than 14% on a Tesla.

135kW * 14% = 18.9kW / 3 days = 6.3kW per day / 24 = 262.5W continuous draw.

That sounds like a lot, to me.

Same math on a Model Y with a 75kW pack would be 145.8W, or just over half the Rivian draw.
Yeah, my vampire drain is pretty high on my Tesla. I keep it plugged in most of the time sitting at home so it hasn't been much of an issue, but to give you an example, it's drained 2% today since arriving home this morning ~9 hours ago. It's possibly particularly bad right now because it's parked in a place where it can't consistently connect to my wifi so it might be thrashing back and forth between cellular and wifi.

Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

What happens to the power outlets when parked? Do they all stay on? Are some switched with ignition?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What happens to the power outlets when parked? Do they all stay on? Are some switched with ignition?
There is a toggle on/off in the cars computer.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Most recent experience:

I unplugged 4/3 at 7am and didn’t drive all day Sunday, 24 hours later I went from 70% SOC (191mi) to 68% SOC (185mi). Parked in the garage.

Gear guard is on but I don’t think it is working, I went out and was rocking the truck back and forth and it didn’t activate. Car definitely woke up (drive me, drive me) every time I walked by with my phone.

Also the other day I noticed a much larger drop during the day. I had left the HVAC on and I assume that every time the car sensed my car key it turned on? Not sure but lost like 5% SOC in less than 24 hours. Ive started turning it off after every drive.

TXRIV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Technology Sales
I have had mine for 5 days now, each night it loses 2-3 miles of range. Now I haven't driven today, and I am already down 5 miles and 2%. Gear guard is off, this doesn't seem normal to lose this much range without driving. If I left town for a week, which I do all the time, I am going to lose 40-50 miles of range? Any ideas on how to limit this?
Sponsored