Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone notice just strange noises coming from the car at idle for no reason?

Like - gear guard off, sitting in a garage, at home, not touched for several hours, there's some fan ramping noise that starts getting really loud under the hood like it's doing *something* serious, but for the life of me I have no idea what. Sounds a bit like when it's charging but in this case it's not plugged in. No doors are open, vehicle is locked, etc.

It doesn't happen all the time but it certainly seems like something that never needed to happen in this scenario.
Probably intermittent battery management noises.
Sponsored

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Have same issue, makes noises, car locked in the garage, Drains approx 4%/day (no gear guard at home). 11xxx VIN .35.3 software
Have mobile service coming next week for the recall, will ask

Anyone notice just strange noises coming from the car at idle for no reason?

Like - gear guard off, sitting in a garage, at home, not touched for several hours, there's some fan ramping noise that starts getting really loud under the hood like it's doing *something* serious, but for the life of me I have no idea what. Sounds a bit like when it's charging but in this case it's not plugged in. No doors are open, vehicle is locked, etc.

It doesn't happen all the time but it certainly seems like something that never needed to happen in this scenario.

zpowell

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Pilot
I just had mobile service at my house today (Salina, KS). Fantastic service and quick. Adrien was very professional and knowledgeable. Fantastic dude that was obviously very proud to work for Rivian. It’s always awesome to speak with people passionate about their career like he was.

l asked about vampire drain. The fans that you hear and step up in increasing speed are the battery coolant fans. Keeps the battery’s at a certain temperature, which drastically increases the battery’s lifespan I’m told. The clicking clacking noises are various contacts closing. I have no idea what for. The suspension sometimes move up and down slightly. All normal behaviors for the Rivian per Adrien. I really only noticed these behaviors when I spent 2 hours trying to install TW wraps PPF (unfortunately failed miserably). I was amazed on how much noise it made while it was “asleep”.

Maybe for those EV’s that don’t have vampire drain or very little of it don’t have battery thermal management to the extent of a Rivian? Perhaps Rivian overly cautious on keeping the battery temperatures in a much more narrow temp range than others?

I hope that Rivian continues to improve software specifically targeting “vampire drain”.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 7F901028-23C6-4E66-AFA7-68A432D16158

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just had mobile service at my house today (Salina, KS). Fantastic service and quick. Adrien was very professional and knowledgeable. Fantastic dude that was obviously very proud to work for Rivian. It’s always awesome to speak with people passionate about their career like he was.

l asked about vampire drain. The fans that you hear and step up in increasing speed are the battery coolant fans. Keeps the battery’s at a certain temperature, which drastically increases the battery’s lifespan I’m told. The clicking clacking noises are various contacts closing. I have no idea what for. The suspension sometimes move up and down slightly. All normal behaviors for the Rivian per Adrien. I really only noticed these behaviors when I spent 2 hours trying to install TW wraps PPF (unfortunately failed miserably). I was amazed on how much noise it made while it was “asleep”.

Maybe for those EV’s that don’t have vampire drain or very little of it don’t have battery thermal management to the extent of a Rivian? Perhaps Rivian overly cautious on keeping the battery temperatures in a much more narrow temp range than others?

I hope that Rivian continues to improve software specifically targeting “vampire drain”.

7F901028-23C6-4E66-AFA7-68A432D16158.jpeg
If you had your phone or the key fob anywhere near by, it will wake up all the time.

stuckpx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
6xxx VIN - Left car parked in garage for a full month without use and drain was approx 1% / day.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
When I observed this it was below 65F in my garage and the vehicle had not been driven or charged that day. If a battery "cooling" system is running in that scenario, it's poorly designed.

I force-stop their app when I'm not using the car because it prevents my phone from ever going into deep sleep and cuts the battery life on that in half, so it shouldn't be communicating with the car either.

I know I sound like I complain a lot here - I do. I like a lot of things about the car and want to keep it (I bought it after all), but I also want to see it be the best it can be, and having to micromanage my phone to get through a day or deal with it just wasting power in the garage is a step back from what i had before, I think they can do better.

Last edited:

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
I left my R1T sitting for 20 days while I was out of the country, battery went from 70% to 36% = 1.8%/day. Temp varied from 39- 72

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I left my R1T sitting for 20 days while I was out of the country, battery went from 70% to 36% = 1.8%/day. Temp varied from 39- 72
Where was it? At home or a parking garage? Gear guard on?

louisdeg

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Where was it? At home or a parking garage? Gear guard on?
Locked in my driveway, no gear guard except cameras, I checked on it with the app every 3-4 days from Greece - I don’t know if that wakes it up and uses more juice.

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Incredibly, 2022.39.0 is the first update in quite a while to not advertise vampire drain fixes, and the first one I've seen since I started tracking that actually does take a significant chunk out of it.

Yellow arrow below is when 2022.39.0 finished installing on my truck. Notice a significant flattening of the curve since then, from approx 1% every 12 hours to 1% every 18 hours - a 33% reduction in drain.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 8.21.19 AM

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Incredibly, 2022.39.0 is the first update in quite a while to not advertise vampire drain fixes, and the first one I've seen since I started tracking that actually does take a significant chunk out of it.

Yellow arrow below is when 2022.39.0 finished installing on my truck. Notice a significant flattening of the curve since then, from approx 1% every 12 hours to 1% every 18 hours - a 33% reduction in drain.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 8.21.19 AM.png
Thank you for posting your findings! And yes, I think they'd rather just not mention the vampire drain updates and instead work on them in the background.

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you for posting your findings! And yes, I think they'd rather just not mention the vampire drain updates and instead work on them in the background.
I don't know about that. The last few updates they claimed there were significant improvements, and there weren't, at least not for me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There's also a significant change in the sleep/wake cycle. The long wake cycles correlate with the battery dropping in both charts. It's nice that they've increased the length of the sleep cycles, but they really need to decrease the length of the wake cycles.

1666875779688.png
Do you have a time-correlated network activity graph? I wonder if the length of wake has a strong correlation with network activity? A faster internet connection may result in a shorter wake time.

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do you have a time-correlated network activity graph? I wonder if the length of wake has a strong correlation with network activity? A faster internet connection may result in a shorter wake time.
I don't, it doesn't reliably connect to my wifi when sleeping. That said, I find it hard to believe it would need to download anything for an hour at a time. The connection is pretty good, 50 mbps+ on cellular.
Sponsored