Sponsored

3rd Row Design / Cargo Area Photos?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

It was reported to be around 17 cu ft plus the 11 in the drink so beating the Telluride in total. I do not see why Rivian cannot share both R1S and T interior dimensions (legroom, hip room, head room etc).
They did awhile back, will have to see where they posted them, but I'll copy what I had posted before as that was the quickest for met o find.

For those who might be used to viewing these dimensions in inches, here is a comparison with the pre 2021 Tahoe (204") on a few dimensions (Edited with a few more to compare):
R1S (202" L)Tahoe (204" L)Mercedes GLS (pre 2020-202" L)BMW X7 (203.3" L)Tesla MX
Effective Leg Room - Driver41.445.340.339.841.2
Effective Leg Room - Second36.739.038.537.638.4
Effective Leg Room - Third32.824.83533.3NA
Shoulder Room - Driver60.664.858.56060.7
Shoulder Room - Second58.965.158.358.156.8
Shoulder Room - Third51.162.650.547.9NA
Hip Room - Driver54.960.8NANA55.6
Hip Room - Second54.260.3NANA59
Hip Room - Third42.849.3NANANA
Head Room - Driver41.142.841.241.941.7
Head Room - Second39.738.74039.940.9
Head Room - Third38.638.138.936.6NA

As with everything else, I think it will be important to to reserve judgement until you actually get to sit in it.
Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
That stinks. Was involved in an accident where the other person ran a red light and hit my Telluride back in July. They T-boned me and my 4yr old was luckily in 3rd row. Main damage was in 2nd row.
Is that your reason for wanting the car seat in the 3rd row? Simply because of a prior accident which happened to not impact the 3rd row where your child was sitting? The next accident could just as easily be at the rear of your vehicle, in which case sitting in the middle row might be better.

On a side note... If your kid is already 4, it will likely be in a booster by the time you get your R1S, or at least shortly after, thus negating the need for latches.

On another side note... Buckling child safety seats in the 3rd row sucks... Are you some kind of masochist that likes contorting your body to buckle seats in tiny spaces?

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Is that your reason for wanting the car seat in the 3rd row? Simply because of a prior accident which happened to not impact the 3rd row where your child was sitting? The next accident could just as easily be at the rear of your vehicle, in which case sitting in the middle row might be better.

On a side note... If your kid is already 4, it will likely be in a booster by the time you get your R1S, or at least shortly after, thus negating the need for latches.

On another side note... Buckling child safety seats in the 3rd row sucks... Are you some kind of masochist that likes contorting your body to buckle seats in tiny spaces?
No, my kid likes to sit in 3rd row. Also good to have 1 available 2nd row captains chair for an adult or one of my parents. The other captains row seat is occupied with my other toddler.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
No, my kid likes to sit in 3rd row. Also good to have 1 available 2nd row captains chair for an adult or one of my parents. The other captains row seat is occupied with my other toddler.
I see. Well hopefully your kid can move up to a booster in a year or two negating the need for latches. That would solve your problem, but not right now obviously.

Maybe you need a minivan. Plenty of leg room for all!

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I see. Well hopefully your kid can move up to a booster in a year or two negating the need for latches. That would solve your problem, but not right now obviously.

Maybe you need a minivan. Plenty of leg room for all!
I do not understand why you say using belt boosters negates the need for LATCH anchor points. I find it very useful to LATCH boosters as it secures them when they are unoccupied, negating the risk they become projectiles during a frontal crash if the child/the driver forgets to tie the seatbelt when coming out.

I am guessing from your handle you are an ER physician: I would also venture (I know, it doesn’t say that in any manual) that using LATCH for the seat and the belt for the child reduces the crash forces he/she will experience in a frontal crash as the inertia of the seat itself will be absorbed by the LATCH, not their chest. Some high back convertible seats weigh a lot… at 100 km/h, the force would be significant.

I have 4 kids. I am not a 3rd masochist and I understand crashes can come from several directions. To me, and others here, having a usable, versatile 3rd row is a must/dealbreaker. And yes, as you can see in my details, I am aware minivans exist :p

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I prefer them to have more room in the 3rd row than cargo space but I can't believe 7 is at all correct. Look at their animation in the storage section here: https://rivian.com/r1s

My Navigator has 18cu/ft and there is no way a suitcase like that would fit so I would venture to say closer to 20cu/ft. I believe the 7 is in reference to the storage under the floor.
Looks like @Autolycus beat me to it with better information but I'll post anyways with another image.

1638392123906.png
I know I have said this in other threads, apologies for sounding like a broken record: Considering these “new” renders are based on very old ones… And that there are weird CGI issues such as the 2 sets of belts in the third row, I personally do not give them much weight. The trunk space looks amazing with those rollers on the side… But it could just be a bad photoshop job.

We need a video showing the 3rd row access (is there a car seat safe tilt, yes or no?) and the 2nd row adjustments with real people. We need to see standard size carry-on bags being loaded in the trunk. As per the IPO filings, R1Ss are supposed to be delivered in low numbers [to employees] by the end of the year… CS just told me again there are some on the assembly line. If that is true, there are no more excuses not to share that information.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I know I have said this in other threads, apologies for sounding like a broken record: Considering these “new” renders are based on very old ones… And that there are weird CGI issues such as the 2 sets of belts in the third row, I personally do not give them much weight. The trunk space looks amazing with those rollers on the side… But it could just be a bad photoshop job.

We need a video showing the 3rd row access (is there a car seat safe tilt, yes or no?) and the 2nd row adjustments with real people. We need to see standard size carry-on bags being loaded in the trunk. As per the IPO filings, R1Ss are supposed to be delivered in low numbers [to employees] by the end of the year… CS just told me again there are some on the assembly line. If that is true, there are no more excuses not to share that information.
Wow nice catch with the two sets of seatbelts. I've watched that render a few times and never noticed it before. Amateur hour at Rivian that they didn't catch it.

Anyone else think they might be making or have made design changes which is why no details on the R1S in a long time? Possibly trying to fit a full size spare? Offering 2nd row captains chairs? Offering more storage options without the 3rd row, I mean that kinda makes sense to do something with that space if you not opting for a 3rd row, no?

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired

Booster seat, lol, he might be in college before any of us gets the R1S... well it seems like it anyway.

ambessa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry
They did awhile back, will have to see where they posted them, but I'll copy what I had posted before as that was the quickest for met o find.

For those who might be used to viewing these dimensions in inches, here is a comparison with the pre 2021 Tahoe (204") on a few dimensions (Edited with a few more to compare):
R1S (202" L)Tahoe (204" L)Mercedes GLS (pre 2020-202" L)BMW X7 (203.3" L)Tesla MX
Effective Leg Room - Driver41.445.340.339.841.2
Effective Leg Room - Second36.739.038.537.638.4
Effective Leg Room - Third32.824.83533.3NA
Shoulder Room - Driver60.664.858.56060.7
Shoulder Room - Second58.965.158.358.156.8
Shoulder Room - Third51.162.650.547.9NA
Hip Room - Driver54.960.8NANA55.6
Hip Room - Second54.260.3NANA59
Hip Room - Third42.849.3NANANA
Head Room - Driver41.142.841.241.941.7
Head Room - Second39.738.74039.940.9
Head Room - Third38.638.138.936.6NA

As with everything else, I think it will be important to to reserve judgement until you actually get to sit in it.
Hmm, I really hope these are old numbers with an opportunity for better legroom in the second row. Hope it’s closer to the newer GLS (which has 41.9in). 36.x just seems cramped.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Hmm, I really hope these are old numbers with an opportunity for better legroom in the second row. Hope it’s closer to the newer GLS (which has 41.9in). 36.x just seems cramped.
The R1T 2nd row legroom also looks cramped by the numbers, but most who have sat in them have thought it’s fine.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
The R1T 2nd row legroom also looks cramped by the numbers, but most who have sat in them have thought it’s fine.
The back row of the R1t feels larger than the front row of my CRV (2011) if that helps at all for perspective.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I hope that is the case as 78” for combined legroom for the two rows is low. Most vehicles are around 80” combined. I would like at least 112” for the three rows because the CX9 which is small for a three row SUV is 110”.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will it be yet another week with zero updates? Any other R1S reservation holders regularly contacting CS to say we need this information out yesterday?

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another week, still nothing…Maybe we will learn something in a video tweet from RJ now that he has his?
Sponsored