21s off roading in Moab?

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Hey all! Spending a few days in Moab labor day weekend and looking for some light off roading. Any suggestions on trails to hit that aren't too intense, not too difficult for 21s, and won't damage the car too much?

At minimum will hit up Shafer trail

I did chicken corners a decade ago in a wrangler but can't recall how hard it was
Sponsored

Trooper

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla Model Y, Ford F150
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Download Trailsoffroad app… it rates the trails based on difficulty and gives you info and navigation while your out on the trail. Maps are downloadable as well.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Your truck will do fine, but your sidewalls are unprotected. I lost a tire whose sidewall was punctured by a sharp cut cornstalk. Onboard air was not of much use to a tire with a one and a half inch full thickness slash.
I had a spare wheel and changed it out in the dark with the OEM system at a teperature of five above zero. It took 45 minutes.

YellowR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Clubs

Should 21s handle most moderate rating trails?

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
Your truck will do fine, but your sidewalls are unprotected. I lost a tire whose sidewall was punctured by a sharp cut cornstalk. Onboard air was not of much use to a tire with a one and a half inch full thickness slash.
I had a spare wheel and changed it out in the dark with the OEM system at a teperature of five above zero. It took 45 minutes.
Were you driving thru a snow covered cornfield that had been harvested for silage?

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
A few suggestions: Hidden canyon and Tusher tunnel, spring canyon bottom (Hey Joe canyon trail starts to the right at the bottom but is much more difficult and overgrown), make a loop out of Potash road, the Shafer trail and Long canyon.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I hope you have a spare at least. I destroyed one of my 21s on a standard gravel road, a rock strIke in the wrong place And it went right through the tread.

OP
OP

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I hope you have a spare at least. I destroyed one of my 21s on a standard gravel road, a rock strIke in the wrong place And it went right through the tread.
Everyone is getting me all worried now haha. I have a spare.

OP
OP

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
A few suggestions: Hidden canyon and Tusher tunnel, spring canyon bottom (Hey Joe canyon trail starts to the right at the bottom but is much more difficult and overgrown), make a loop out of Potash road, the Shafer trail and Long canyon.
Thank you! Will look into this

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I did some light off-roading on the 21s late last year and it was fine wrt traction. As others have said, it’s puncture-resistance and sidewall that you’ve gotta worry about.

Slickrock is immensely grippy so I wouldn’t be too concerned about traction if you’re staying on the sandstone.

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
the sound of the tires in this video made me squirm

ClaytonW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLUR, Tesla MYP, GMC Yukon XL
I would just rent a Jeep. More fun and less expensive (considering possible damages).

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Oh man I just posted that video too. I should delete my thread. Hurrah Pass will be fine. Fins N Things and hells revenge should be doable. If you are ambitious and not traveling alone then Top of the World. Lots of dirt roads like Onion Creek.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

At minimum will hit up Shafer trail
I did it on 20s, but taking Shafer Trail to Potash Rd from the Island in the Sky Canyonlands entrance back into Moab was a good run. Lots of amazing views and probably more deserving of a 2-rating than the 3 that Trails Offroad gave Potash Rd. It runs right across the river from Chicken Corners, which I'd originally wanted to do, but an inexperienced Jeep with us wasn't keen on an actual trail after playing on a primitive road in Arches the day before that. Shafer/Potash back into Moab took around 3 hours if you air down, maybe a little longer if you stop to take a lot of pics.
Sponsored