Sponsored

2022.47.0 software update installed w/ SNOW MODE!

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Possible, I didn’t have any cold weather warnings pop up. It was 59 degrees while traveling to work. So not really that cold. I performed a hard reset on the vehicle. Let’s see if that helps.
From my experience, if the regen is reduced due to a cold battery - you’ll see a snowflake on the regen arc. What is in the video, is what I experience after using the regen on a long downhill.

the left side graph shows a spike in regen…but my truck tops out that graph for 5 minutes before I get a reduction on my truck.
Sponsored

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
64 degrees. Never had this issue before the update.
I live high altitude and have had this truck 90F to 10F. What you’re seeing isn’t normal. If it’s from the battery’s state of charge the hatched regen limit line goes away very gradual as you deplete the charge…it doesn’t spike the lower limit all over the arc. At 73% SOC, you shouldn’t see much, if any limit on regen. Based on your temp, SOC, and efficiency graph…my money is something is wrong.

Last edited:

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I live high altitude and have had this truck 90F to 10F. What you’re seeing isn’t normal. If it’s from the battery’s state of charge the hatched regen limit line goes away very gradual as you deplete the charge…it doesn’t spike the lower limit all over the arc. At 73% SOC, you shouldn’t see much, if any limit on regen. Based on your temp, SOC, and efficiency graph…my money is something is wrong.
Rivian asked me to only charge the battery to 70 % to see if it still happens. I did receive the error once more.
the next day I charged the battery to 75% and received no error. The only thing I did differently was I stopped the charge via the app first before unplugging. I usually just unplug charger. Not sure is that makes a difference.

I do believe something is wrong. I’m starting to wonder if the battery is out of balance and a group has a much higher voltage than the rest causing the high battery charge to trip.

I am still waiting to hear back from Rivian. They told me they are reviewing my logs.

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian asked me to only charge the battery to 70 % to see if it still happens. I did receive the error once more.
the next day I charged the battery to 75% and received no error. The only thing I did differently was I stopped the charge via the app first before unplugging. I usually just unplug charger. Not sure is that makes a difference.

I do believe something is wrong. I’m starting to wonder if the battery is out of balance and a group has a much higher voltage than the rest causing the high battery charge to trip.

I am still waiting to hear back from Rivian. They told me they are reviewing my logs.
The issue I have with any/all this…the regen limit should never be moving all over the place…it’s dangerous…you don’t know how much regen to expect on deceleration. I’ve had all the reasons for reduced regen…battery SOC, battery cold, excessive regen usage, etc. in all cases i get a warning, and the lower limit restriction. However, that lower limit remains predictable and goes away in a linear fashion as the cause of the restriction reduces.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
The issue I have with any/all this…the regen limit should never be moving all over the place…it’s dangerous…you don’t know how much regen to expect on deceleration. I’ve had all the reasons for reduced regen…battery SOC, battery cold, excessive regen usage, etc. in all cases i get a warning, and the lower limit restriction. However, that lower limit remains predictable and goes away in a linear fashion as the cause of the restriction reduces.
I 100% agree with you. With the sudden change in the regen I’m experiencing I don’t really trust it. It’s not safe. I almost reared someone because the regen became so weak.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So, IMO, if Christmas Mode doesn't appear at midnight, it isn't happening.

gj_washington

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
audi a4, toyota rav4
Occupation
engineer
Weird reading about these issues with the update. Mine went smoothly and I had the chance to try out the snow mode with some fresh North West snow. Worked well. I did not compare with All-Purpose but its looking like a good update so far. No unexpected errors about battery charge.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I don't get why no holiday mode. Cost to implement is negligible and the internet and friends and family wow factor is so high. Missed opportunity.

Scozzt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy silverado
Occupation
Military
Just updated to the latest software. I can confirm that the new LOW regeneration setting is only available in SNOW mode. Tidal app has also been loaded.
F9D49FFC-2156-42FD-911B-F3A3BCF406C7.jpeg

025FDBA1-77D1-42E7-89B2-FE897E98A33B.jpeg
I was out in the Buffalo blizzard and it works well. I still think the regen should have an "off" mode. The tires still locked up a few times.

Rivian R1T R1S 2022.47.0 software update installed w/ SNOW MODE! 20221226_110420

Sponsored

fred whitridge

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
finance
I think similar to Tesla they release the update in batches/waves so not everyone is downloading at the same time.
A senior service guy told me updates are batched by VIN and there was no way for them to force an update other than in the VIN batch

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Snow mode arrived just in time for the Christmas upper Midwest blizzard. Snow mode works great, predicting same milage range as All Purpose. One thing no one has commented on is that the ride height becomes "standard" in snow mode, but after about four minutes at highway speed, the truck automatically lowers itself to "low", then back up when you slow down. Well done Rivian.
Ran into a new owner in Madison WI while charging who had only 300 miles on his, but had already switched out his 20s for Bridgestone Blizzaks. He was an autocross type car guy specializing in ice racing and had worked in a tire shop so knew his traction. I'm having no trouble with anything getting around safely with my 40% worn out 21s.
Next day in Milwaukee, met another car guy type wearing Elkhart Lake Road America race track plates. The driving experience is well worth the wait.
450 miles traveled, left home at 100 per cent charge and arrived home with 100 miles of range left after spending 28.50 at retail Electrify America chargers.

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone get/have an explanation as to why the motors are higher pitched after this update?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Anyone get/have an explanation as to why the motors are higher pitched after this update?
This is curious. I know that VFD's have carrier frequencies and changing those frequencies causes very different harmonic sounds in induction motors. I wonder if something like that is in play?
Sponsored