Sponsored

20 degrees cooler inside (roof / windshield tint/film)

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I’ll probably get laughed at for this but if the windshield is the biggest culprit why not just try some of those $25 folding windshield shades? I have them in my other cars and they make a huge difference versus not using them at all. I just know that when quoted to get my wife’s Model 3 tinted the windshield was going to cost half of what the 4 doors would cost.
Sponsored

beckhome09

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver 2022 R1T, Blue 2015 BMW 428i convertible
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I'm guessing it was more the windshield too. But, my Tesla with no windshield protection, never got that hot inside, at least not has hot as this thing did. My notable question mark was again, the fact that the Rivian's roof sounds more like a plastic than a glass. Maybe it is glass and just sounds that way because it's such a big single piece? But, it has the echo of a plastic material rather than the solid thunk you get when knocking on glass? Hoping to never break one and find out what it is!!!

The roof and windshield were more expensive to do than doing all the doors and rear window. Bigger single pieces I guess.

I've been using the same tinter for quite some time. Lifetime warranty, but they don't use the "brand name" 3M tint. Actually, I think they offer it, but I've never chosen it. I personally have never noticed a difference. For me, tint is tint. Lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. I paid $360 to tint the doors and rear window. $400 to tint the roof and windshield. They did my Tesla for $450 (doors and rear window). A friend of mine wanted the "brand name" stuff (3M and paid $1,200 for his car).

Plus my guys are mobile and come to me. Been using them for at least 15 years. Never had a problem not using the fancy tint. If you're in the L.A. area and need someone, send me a PM and I'll give you their contact info.
I had my front window, back passengers and rear done with
clear ceramic amd finally the front with 35% ceramic, but no real noteable difference as i just checked and the cabin said its 135 inside. Job was 1400 at Fresh in Santa Clarita, so Will figure out how to PM you to get the roof down.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
"My notable question mark was again, the fact that the Rivian's roof sounds more like a plastic than a glass. Maybe it is glass and just sounds that way because it's such a big single piece? But, it has the echo of a plastic material rather than the solid thunk you get when knocking on glass? Hoping to never break one and find out what it is!!!"

I noticed the same thing during my test drive and immediately quizzed CS hard about the plastic roof feel. They assured me, promised me, that it was indeed glass. I still find that hard to believe--it does not feel or sound like any glass I have ever seen before. Maybe it is some type of hybrid and has some glass in it or some plastic in it? Also, it is extremely thin 'glass'....I thought this was very concerning, but I have yet to see any complaints from actual owners yet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Xtrusion Overland. I picked it up used from an F150 owner, cut it down, and figured out how to mount it to the R1T. I'm trying to work with them to see if they are interested in a bolt-on solution.
Damn, don’t want to hijack this thread and all its good info, but what really peaked my interest is that rack and how it is mounted. I will need a rack solution for my who-knows-when R1S. Maybe a new thread with some details, as I’m sure others, who need more than crossbars, would be find your solution interesting and encouraging. Thanks!!!

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
Had my windows tinted last week, hoping that it would help cool down the interior when sitting out in the sun. Really didn't notice any measurable difference. Cab would climb to over 135 degrees on 100 degree day. It got hot in there.

Had the window tinters come back out today and did the roof and windshield. Was 98 out today and the interior only got to 115 degrees. Much better. It previously felt like an oven when I would get back in. Could barely touch the steering wheel or any trim pieces that were exposed to the sun.

I don't know which of the two made the biggest difference?

The roof, used a 35% tint. The windshield, they use a basically clear tint, but helps reduce UV rays from the sun. Can still see through the roof just fine. But, now at least I don't burn myself when touching things in the truck when I get in.

Never had this much heat in the Tesla. I don't know what type of glass Rivian is using on the roof. Almost sounds like a plastic instead of glass when tapping on it?? In any case, it got much hotter in the Rivian than any car I've previously experienced.
I tinted my front drivers and passenger door glass to match the rears and I also tinted the windshield with 50 % dark, ceramic tint. Made a HUGE difference. I'm getting the roof done on Wednesday, with ceramic limo tint, as dark as possible. I always use the highest end ceramic / IR tint and it's 600$ to do the roof.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I tinted my front drivers and passenger door glass to match the rears and I also tinted the windshield with 50 % dark, ceramic tint. Made a HUGE difference. I'm getting the roof done on Wednesday, with ceramic limo tint, as dark as possible. I always use the highest end ceramic / IR tint and it's 600$ to do the roof.
Yikes, expensive, I went with the 35% on the roof since it was already tinted. The front I believe they say is 75%. Basically clear. As I noted, did wonders for the interior. Didn't use the "fancy" stuff, but am ore than happy with the results. Was $400 for me for both, the roof and windshield. I guess the difference between the fancy name brand stuff and the generic stuff. I don't know any better since I can't test it, but possibly the higher-end name-brand stuff would keep it even cooler than what I have?

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Waiting on one the forum scientists (professional or otherwise) to do something fancy with a spectrometer or UV camera or oven thermometer (along the lines of the charging curve analyses).

Some suggest that the roof is the source of the heat and others say it’s negligible. Some say it’s the windshield and the front windows. Some say tint the top of the roof, others say bottom. There’s existing tint on roof glass and rear windows but unclear of the specs of the existing materials (ceramic?)

Surely science can come to the rescue? 🧪 🧬 🔬🌡☀⏱
It is on my to do list. Get my R1T on the 19th. Will put a thermocouple and data logger inside the truck and block off the roof and windshield in stages over several days to record the inside temperature

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
It is on my to do list. Get my R1T on the 19th. Will put a thermocouple and data logger inside the truck and block off the roof and windshield in stages over several days to record the inside temperature
🙌

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Can those that have done the ceramic tint share their IRER or similar ratings and if they noticed a difference?
Example: Stratos 70 has a rating of 66 for its IRER rating, 96 for SIRR.

The hope is to understand what is or isn't working based on the ratings for ceramic tints.

IRER = solar infared absorbed or re-radiated rating for wavelengths 780-2500nm
SIRR = solar infrared radiation (780-2500nm) not directly transmitted through glass

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Fantastic! Can't wait to see the results.

Sponsored

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
Yikes, expensive, I went with the 35% on the roof since it was already tinted. The front I believe they say is 75%. Basically clear. As I noted, did wonders for the interior. Didn't use the "fancy" stuff, but am ore than happy with the results. Was $400 for me for both, the roof and windshield. I guess the difference between the fancy name brand stuff and the generic stuff. I don't know any better since I can't test it, but possibly the higher-end name-brand stuff would keep it even cooler than what I have?
It's all about the quality of the material / tint. I can do the lower quality tint for much cheaper but the IR and UV blocking #'s are polar opposites. Let alone the life of the tint. I'm in the sign business so I understand as the qualities of vinyl have the same polar opposites of material qualities of cast vinyl vs. calendared vinyl. Yes, both materials will look the same after install, but totally different on life longevity in the long run.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

It's all about the quality of the material / tint. I can do the lower quality tint for much cheaper but the IR and UV blocking #'s are polar opposites. Let alone the life of the tint. I'm in the sign business so I understand as the qualities of vinyl have the same polar opposites of material qualities of cast vinyl vs. calendared vinyl. Yes, both materials will look the same after install, but totally different on life longevity in the long run.
I don't doubt it. As noted, they do look the same. They do keep the cab SO MUCH cooler and I do still have a lifetime warranty, so if it goes bad, it gets replaced for at not cost. But, being that I only keep vehicles about 3 years before moving on, unlikely I'll ever have to think about replacing it during the time I have it. But, just in case it ends up being one of the cars I keep for 20 or 30 years (I have three that I've had for a while now, one's at 36 years, one is at 19 years and the other is at 9 years). So, there's a chance. I didn't tint the two oldest ones, but the one that's 9 years old still looks new and was tinted by the same people. For whatever that's worth.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You rock, can't wait to see the results. I just wish you were here in TX with 100°+ temps to test with.

DeSkY

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GS350
Hello all,

I am new with the forum. I got my R1T last week and just tinted ceramic 25% all 4 windows and clear tint on the windshield.
Without any tint on the roof, i got 104F at 9:45AM today.
I am looking for solution to but a mesh shade on the roof to reduce TX heat.

Rivian R1T R1S 20 degrees cooler inside (roof / windshield tint/film) Screenshot_20220723-094250_Rivian

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Start with a good sun shade for the windshield (such as HeatShield) when parked.
Sponsored