Sponsored

20 degrees cooler inside (roof / windshield tint/film)

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Had my windows tinted last week, hoping that it would help cool down the interior when sitting out in the sun. Really didn't notice any measurable difference. Cab would climb to over 135 degrees on 100 degree day. It got hot in there.

Had the window tinters come back out today and did the roof and windshield. Was 98 out today and the interior only got to 115 degrees. Much better. It previously felt like an oven when I would get back in. Could barely touch the steering wheel or any trim pieces that were exposed to the sun.

I don't know which of the two made the biggest difference?

The roof, used a 35% tint. The windshield, they use a basically clear tint, but helps reduce UV rays from the sun. Can still see through the roof just fine. But, now at least I don't burn myself when touching things in the truck when I get in.

Never had this much heat in the Tesla. I don't know what type of glass Rivian is using on the roof. Almost sounds like a plastic instead of glass when tapping on it?? In any case, it got much hotter in the Rivian than any car I've previously experienced.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Had my windows tinted last week, hoping that it would help cool down the interior when sitting out in the sun. Really didn't notice any measurable difference. Cab would climb to over 135 degrees on 100 degree day. It got hot in there.

Had the window tinters come back out today and did the roof and windshield. Was 98 out today and the interior only got to 115 degrees. Much better. It previously felt like an oven when I would get back in. Could barely touch the steering wheel or any trim pieces that were exposed to the sun.

The roof, used a 35% tint. The windshield, they use a basically clear tint, but helps reduce UV rays from the sun. Can still see through the roof just fine. But, now at least I don't burn myself when touching things in the truck when I get in.

Never had this much heat in the Tesla. I don't know what type of glass Rivian is using on the roof. Almost sounds like a plastic instead of glass when tapping on it?? In any case, it got much hotter in the Rivian than any car I've previously experienced.
Cost for roof tint ?

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

FWIW I did an experiment in the Model 3 when it first came out. Had all the windows except the roof and windshield tinted with the 3M clear IR blocking. Then set it side by side with a completely untinted Model 3, cooled them both down to 70 and waited. Both cars heated at identical rates within 1 degree.

As it turned out, the windshield was the enemy. It is such a big piece of untinted glass that it overwhelms everything else whereas the roof actually had very good IR blocking. Might be different in the RIvian, but based on my Model 3 trial, I would aim for all the windows and windshield first.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm guessing it was more the windshield too. But, my Tesla with no windshield protection, never got that hot inside, at least not has hot as this thing did. My notable question mark was again, the fact that the Rivian's roof sounds more like a plastic than a glass. Maybe it is glass and just sounds that way because it's such a big single piece? But, it has the echo of a plastic material rather than the solid thunk you get when knocking on glass? Hoping to never break one and find out what it is!!!

The roof and windshield were more expensive to do than doing all the doors and rear window. Bigger single pieces I guess.

I've been using the same tinter for quite some time. Lifetime warranty, but they don't use the "brand name" 3M tint. Actually, I think they offer it, but I've never chosen it. I personally have never noticed a difference. For me, tint is tint. Lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. I paid $360 to tint the doors and rear window. $400 to tint the roof and windshield. They did my Tesla for $450 (doors and rear window). A friend of mine wanted the "brand name" stuff (3M and paid $1,200 for his car).

Plus my guys are mobile and come to me. Been using them for at least 15 years. Never had a problem not using the fancy tint. If you're in the L.A. area and need someone, send me a PM and I'll give you their contact info.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

Rivian needs to develop a retractable shade and offer it as a retrofit.
I asked the guide about this and his response was … well, unfortunately all too common on topics of features and foibles … "it's not a problem, the sunroof has a filter in the glass, there's no need for a sunshade" … I was talking to him on a not remarkably hot day in March and questioning what it would be like in August … I suggested he hold his hand against the inside of the sunroof for as long as it takes to say the car doesn't need a sunshade … : )

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I'm guessing it was more the windshield too. But, my Tesla with no windshield protection, never got that hot inside, at least not has hot as this thing did. My notable question mark was again, the fact that the Rivian's roof sounds more like a plastic than a glass. Maybe it is glass and just sounds that way because it's such a big single piece? But, it has the echo of a plastic material rather than the solid thunk you get when knocking on glass? Hoping to never break one and find out what it is!!!

The roof and windshield were more expensive to do than doing all the doors and rear window. Bigger single pieces I guess.

I've been using the same tinter for quite some time. Lifetime warranty, but they don't use the "brand name" 3M tint. Actually, I think they offer it, but I've never chosen it. I personally have never noticed a difference. For me, tint is tint. Lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. I paid $360 to tint the doors and rear window. $400 to tint the roof and windshield. They did my Tesla for $450 (doors and rear window). A friend of mine wanted the "brand name" stuff (3M and paid $1,200 for his car).

Plus my guys are mobile and come to me. Been using them for at least 15 years. Never had a problem not using the fancy tint. If you're in the L.A. area and need someone, send me a PM and I'll give you their contact info.
I've read other posts saying that some of the "brand" films have IR and UV filters that achieve a much higher rejection without being darker (I don't want a darkened sunroof.) I'm not a fan of window tint, but I expect I'll to tint the sunroof with a clear IR film. Hopefully someone will get that done as a single change and we'll see how well it keeps the roasting down.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian needs to develop a retractable shade and offer it as a retrofit.
I asked the guide about this and his response was … well, unfortunately all too common on topics of features and foibles … "it's not a problem, the sunroof has a filter in the glass, there's no need for a sunshade" … I was talking to him on a not remarkably hot day in March and questioning what it would be like in August … I suggested he hold his hand against the inside of the sunroof for as long as it takes to say the car doesn't need a sunshade … : )
I agree. I had the Ford Lightning and it had an automatic open/close shade for the sunroof. GREAT feature to have. With so many going with these glass roofs, which are nice to have, they should all be including some sort of shade capability.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've read other posts saying that some of the "brand" films have IR and UV filters that achieve a much higher rejection without being darker (I don't want a darkened sunroof.) I'm not a fan of window tint, but I expect I'll to tint the sunroof with a clear IR film. Hopefully someone will get that done as a single change and we'll see how well it keeps the roasting down.
I don't know what type of film my guys use. But the windshield is pretty much a clear tint, that helps with UV rays. I could have used that on the roof as well, but chose the relatively light 35% tint just to be safe. Not legal to "tint" windshields. Basically just a film that offers UV protection. Again, not brand name stuff, but my results show that it's serving its purpose with a now notably cooler interior. I'm not one that needs the "brand name" stuff. What they used works just fine for me. $360 vs $1,200 doesn't hurt either.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
I was told yesterday that the shop that is going to do my T wouldn't do the roof due to the glass not having room to maybe expand due to heat rejection.

So not sure what I'll do now, maybe go to another shop.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Poster in another thread put film (xpel? Ceramic something? IDK) on the top of his sunroof. Exterior mounted. Lots of threads about glass breakage potential when tinting on the inside. Who knows.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Poster in another thread put film (xpel? Ceramic something? IDK) on the top of his sunroof. Exterior mounted. Lots of threads about glass breakage potential when tinting on the inside. Who knows.
Not being a smart ass, but, I guess let me know when it actually happens, then maybe there will be reason for concern. Lots of people like to post that this or that will be bad, because there was one instance in 1,000,000. Not saying that's the case, but, I've given up on those that post about "potential" problems that haven't happened. People have been putting film or tint on windows, roofs, etc for decades. Clearly it's not a widespread problem. If you get married, you'll probably get divorced too, guess nobody should get married. If you shower today, you're just going to get dirty tomorrow, so why bother! The list could go on and on for eons!

Now watch, mine will shatter because I said this!! LOL

Last edited:

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
FWIW I did an experiment in the Model 3 when it first came out. Had all the windows except the roof and windshield tinted with the 3M clear IR blocking. Then set it side by side with a completely untinted Model 3, cooled them both down to 70 and waited. Both cars heated at identical rates within 1 degree.

As it turned out, the windshield was the enemy. It is such a big piece of untinted glass that it overwhelms everything else whereas the roof actually had very good IR blocking. Might be different in the RIvian, but based on my Model 3 trial, I would aim for all the windows and windshield first.
This makes me happy -- a fun experiment with control and interesting results!

Out of curiosity in what are potentially second-order effects: did the two Teslas have the same interior and exterior colors?

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
This is what I put on the outside of my sunroof. PPF Paint Protection Film Glass Sunroof Clear Bra VLT70% UV99% Block W – EzAuto Wrap
The IR filtering was already good, but this made it just a bit better.
Tinting the windshield had a bigger effect.
This is great info, thanks for posting.

I've been trying to find a succinct summary of CO tint laws, and ran across this:
WINDSHIELD: Must allow in at least 70 percent of light
FRONT SIDE, BACK SIDE, & REAR WINDOW: Must allow in more than 27 percent of light

Is that your understanding as well? so the windshield can be tinted "down to" 70% visible light transmission? (which matches the spec of the link you posted)

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
I've been muddling over tint and interior car heating for the past few days (see the other thread), and after futzing around with some simple calculations it seems like the importance of UV blocking to prevent interior heating is a secondary (or even tertiary) consideration. The primary contributors to interior heating appear to be visible and IR flux.

Here's a graphic that I find helpful:
https://gotbooks.miracosta.edu/earth_science/images/insolation_curve.jpg

This graphic nicely describes a few effects, but for the purposes of this topic the most important is the region of peak energy flux on Earth's surface is in visible light (duh). Even though an individual UV photon has more energy than a visible photon there are just fewer of them getting to the surface. On the IR end of things, several atmospheric components (including good 'ole water) absorb parts of the IR flux, decreasing that contribution.

I'm still fuzzy on some details, such as where the glass absorbs and transmits in the IR, making it a little harder to figure out the IR contribution to heating the car's interior relative to visible light. That aside, it seems clear that visible light dumps the most energy inside a car.

Given that UV, visible, and presumably the IR that makes it through the glass are in part absorbed and re-radiated as thermal IR, chopping out the most visible light you can seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. Blocking IR is probably second place, and blocking UV is a distant third.

However, blocking UV is important for other reasons, e.g. preventing fade or other material damage to the car's interior (and occupants).

It's fun to think about this physics stuff in the context of car tint, something I hadn't ever bothered to do before. If I'm missing an important factor or factors, lemme know.
Sponsored