Sponsored

20 degrees cooler inside (roof / windshield tint/film)

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Hello all,

I am new with the forum. I got my R1T last week and just tinted ceramic 25% all 4 windows and clear tint on the windshield.
Without any tint on the roof, i got 104F at 9:45AM today.
I am looking for solution to but a mesh shade on the roof to reduce TX heat.

Screenshot_20220723-094250_Rivian.jpg
104 isn't bad for a hot day in Texas. Prior to tinting mine, my interior was getting to well over 130 degrees.
Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Got my truck back from having all the windows (front, rear, sides and roof) tinted and what a difference in cabin temps. It was only about 90 here today, but a huge improvement. It will be interesting to see the cabin temps during the day tomorrow. Before I would see up to 130 degrees.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Got my truck back from having all the windows (front, rear, sides and roof) tinted and what a difference in cabin temps. It was only about 90 here today, but a huge improvement. It will be interesting to see the cabin temps during the day tomorrow. Before I would see up to 130 degrees.
Please note what tint was used including the roof. Manufacturer, % light transmission, product line. Thanks in advance.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I can't wait for the winter threads about how to get MORE heat into the cabin... :)
Reflective ceramic tint! Installed backwards.

Ceramic to block the summer rays. Reflective to reflect the radiant heat back into the cabin. That works right? :rolleyes:

Oh you know what wouldā€™ve been nice? The electro chromatic roof I was told would be on the car.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Reflective ceramic tint! Installed backwards.

Ceramic to block the summer rays. Reflective to reflect the radiant heat back into the cabin. That works right? :rolleyes:

Oh you know what wouldā€™ve been nice? The electro chromatic roof I was told would be on the car.
I keep telling everyone to just mount two big surfboards on top in summer and skis in winter. The gear knows how to block the right amount of heat/light. :)

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Maybe dumb questionā€”do they remove existing tint on the rear to apply new or double up?
For me, I didn't want the front windows as dark as the rear doors, thus usually always go with 35% up front and 20% in the rear and for the back window. Because the glass is already tinted however, I just went with 35% all the way around. Had the same basic results. The rear windows are darker, but made it easier for the tinter to just use one type of tint. Did the same on the roof since the roof is already factory tinted as well.

And yes, the glass itself is tinted, no film applied by Rivian or other manufacturers.

Sponsored

Louie

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 X5 50i Msport, 2019 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Any issues with sensors, cameras, auto lights, etc... tinting the windscreen?

Big fan of tinting all windows and have tinted windscreens in the past on our X5 & F150 but weary of tinting the windscreen of something so technologically advanced.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Big fan of tinting all windows and have tinted windscreens in the past on our X5 & F150 but weary of tinting the windscreen of something so technologically advanced.
3 weeks in, I haven't experienced any issues. From replies, appears others have as well with no reported issues

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

Wonder how difficult it would be to replace the roof with a different material such as carbon fibre?
I think it would be expensive since you would have to transport the truck overseas to do it. Now Carbon Fiber would be just as good but you can get that done here in the good olā€™ USAšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‰

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40

No issues for me. I did get to see the windshield template and the tint does go around the rearview mirror unit, so not too worried about any issues with advanced driving features.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

I got the front windows and windshield tinted a month or so ago. Itā€™s been hot in Memphis but the tint has definitely helped. Did not do the roof and didnā€™t even ask the shop if they would tint it- maybe I will.

I have not done any real tests but tinting the windshield helped with heat for sure. Noticeable improvement. I selected a llumar ctx ceramic tint.
Sponsored