Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
But nobody tows with EVs. If they want to install some cheap L2 chargers at trailheads so they can honestly state they're an adventure vehicle (whatever that means, nobody really knows either, bad marketing), go for it. But easy and readily available DCFC is the core and they can't afford that.
You don't know what an adventure vehicle is? You must be older than 35. Stay adventurous. I am however all for more chargers be it whoever makes them.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
But nobody tows with EVs.
Huh..... I missed that memo about not towing with EVs! I guess I'll use my old truck on Thursday instead of the Rivian.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Yeah I didn’t know this was a thing either. I’m also a second hand owner, though.
I've tried hard to get them to understand and fix this. Last time they said it was taken care of and was due to me having two accounts one with a period in my email and one without. But both of those go to the same gmail account and I still don't get all the emails 🤦🤷

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I was referring to your opening sentence "Nobody tows with an EV" when I was saying "Don't assume what people do with their vehicles".

Considering that Rivian specifically lists towing capacity, and features their vehicles towing right on their site, it makes sense to accommodate tow-friendly charging spots at the locations they build out. Tesla didn't when they started building out their network because their first major car couldn't tow.
My point is nobody is buying a Rivian to tow, of course they can tow. That stated and in detail, EVs are terrible at towing any real distance, pull through stall or not. Of course Rivian will advertise towing, I would too given the torque. But in reality all you can really do is tow a trailer across town. Stopping to charge every 100 miles or so will get old quickly, this won't work for the common populace that Rivian needs.

On the flip side, someone will do a long distance tow and advertise some sort of great accomplishment.

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Motor Large Pack
Occupation
Composer, IT Service Desk Analyst
My point is nobody is buying a Rivian to tow, of course they can tow. That stated and in detail, EVs are terrible at towing any real distance, pull through stall or not. Of course Rivian will advertise towing, I would too given the torque. But in reality all you can really do is tow a trailer across town. Stopping to charge every 100 miles or so will get old quickly, this won't work for the common populace that Rivian needs.

On the flip side, someone will do a long distance tow and advertise some sort of great accomplishment.
You are making blanket, generalized statements again. Plenty of people are making long, 1000+ mile trips towing with their Rivians, Teslas, F-150 Lightnings, etc. and bought them for doing so (my wife and I are among them!). There are discussion boards for each of the vehicles listed dedicated to taking about towing, and the stories from those owners regarding the great trips they have with them.

You keep making statements that claim to cover the buying habits for all who purchase EVs, when it's clearly not true. There is evidence to the contrary in this very thread. Which is supposed to be about Rivian's announcing regarding access to Superchargers, and our back-and-forth has derailed it a bit, so I'm going to end thing here. Have a good evening and a pleasant weekend.

Last edited:

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You are making blanket, generalized statements again. Plenty of people are making long, 1000+ mile trips towing with their Rivians, Teslas, F-150 Lightnings, etc. and bought them for doing so (my wife and I are among them!). There are discussion boards for each of the vehicles listed dedicated to taking about towing, and the stories from those owners regarding the great trips they have with them.

You keep making statements that claim to cover the buying habits for all who purchase EVs, when it's clearly not true. There is evidence to the contrary in this very thread. Which is supposed to be about Rivian's announcing regarding access to Superchargers, and our back-and-forth has detailed it a bit, so I'm going to end thing here. Have a good evening and a pleasant weekend.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

The superchargers near me are also unavailable but I don't mind at all. It is much cheaper and easier to charge at home. But the ones that I would like to use are unusually expensive.
Agreed, I was only hoping for it as backup when things pop up at work which is 50 miles from home charging but near a supercharger. Pretty easy for me to have an unexpected extra 100 miles tacked onto my day. Oh well, I'll just charge a bit higher at home.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Agreed, I was only hoping for it as backup when things pop up at work which is 50 miles from home charging but near a supercharger. Pretty easy for me to have an unexpected extra 100 miles tacked onto my day. Oh well, I'll just charge a bit higher at home.
Very disappointed that not all V3 and V4 chargers aren’t included. Going to make it even messier to determine where you can charge.

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
I hope Rivian has their own reserved allotment of adapters to send out, Ford started with April availability and is now into June estimated delivery just a few hours into ordering going live (maybe 20k ordered so far).
This... I have a Lightning as well. The site crashed in the morning and when I was finally able to order, it was June. Very frustrating as Ford is banging their chests, meanwhile, all of the influencers all received theirs early. So, Ford comes out looking great, meanwhile, I have to hope the one CCS charger on my route tomorrow works this trip...So far, we are 1 out of 4 trips working. Makes for an exhilarating experience. Gets the blood pumping (or boiling). :)

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
This... I have a Lightning as well. The site crashed in the morning and when I was finally able to order, it was June. Very frustrating as Ford is banging their chests, meanwhile, all of the influencers all received theirs early. So, Ford comes out looking great, meanwhile, I have to hope the one CCS charger on my route tomorrow works this trip...So far, we are 1 out of 4 trips working. Makes for an exhilarating experience. Gets the blood pumping (or boiling). :)
I’m happy it’s happening. June is better than never. We all can be influencers if we want.
Sponsored