Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Glenwood to Denver you have so many CCS options I wouldn't worry about it...the Edwards EA station has been my stop of choice and in Glenwood you have the Volvo/ChargePoint units available now. As for Denver to Chicago...sadly, most of the Tesla stations are V2 and won't be of any help.
You could easily go to Denver to Chicago if Tesla were to open up all their V3 chargers (and maybe they eventually will). There are V3s in Lincoln, Omaha, Des Moines that could work with CCS cars.
Sponsored

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, seems there are enough to get up/down mountain. Was hoping to get off the Interstate and try some lesser roads i.e. US Highways verses Interstates.

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
So, very few of you seem worried about warranty issues using a 3rd party adapter. I'll wait for the official one...
Knock yourself out. Thanks for letting us all know.

TL;DR It's possible for it to be an informed and considered decision.

I believe it's a judicious process for people who are paying attention. Interviews and information provided by A2Z AND Lectron have demonstrated exactly how much careful engineering and testing have gone into the fabrication and production of their adapters. Both companies are in communication with the relevant OEMs and are following the same set of standards and safety protocols as the OEMs.

Of course the OEMs have to cite language saying "do not, under any circumstances" use a 3rd party unit. Until there is a standard certification for these adapters (which is relatively imminent) it would be completely irresponsible of the OEMs to NOT forbid use of 3rd party adapters, because the market is about to be flooded with adapters that one should never use, regardless of anybody's CYA language.

Admittedly, there is a small risk. Should there be a catastrophic problem, I will have a hard time demonstrating that it was not my 3rd party adapter that allowed the problem to develop. I probably wouldn't use something that wasn't approved (by lawyers) on Electrify America. But here the risk/reward balance is so far tilted to the reward end for anyone who has paid attention to the technology the parties and the process involved, that I consider the risk to be negligible.

YMMV and, as was said, if you don't want to try one---you do you. No need to hall monitor other folks who are also just hanging out in their own comfort levels and reporting on developments of interest for others.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You could easily go to Denver to Chicago if Tesla were to open up all their V3 chargers (and maybe they eventually will). There are V3s in Lincoln, Omaha, Des Moines that could work with CCS cars.
Lincoln is a long way from Denver and the EA stations in Ogallala and Lexington were in bad shape when I went through in January.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Knock yourself out. Thanks for letting us all know.

TL;DR It's possible for it to be an informed and considered decision.

I believe it's a judicious process for people who are paying attention. Interviews and information provided by A2Z AND Lectron have demonstrated exactly how much careful engineering and testing have gone into the fabrication and production of their adapters. Both companies are in communication with the relevant OEMs and are following the same set of standards and safety protocols as the OEMs.

Of course the OEMs have to cite language saying "do not, under any circumstances" use a 3rd party unit. Until there is a standard certification for these adapters (which is relatively imminent) it would be completely irresponsible of the OEMs to NOT forbid use of 3rd party adapters, because the market is about to be flooded with adapters that one should never use, regardless of anybody's CYA language.

Admittedly, there is a small risk. Should there be a catastrophic problem, I will have a hard time demonstrating that it was not my 3rd party adapter that allowed the problem to develop. I probably wouldn't use something that wasn't approved (by lawyers) on Electrify America. But here the risk/reward balance is so far tilted to the reward end for anyone who has paid attention to the technology the parties and the process involved, that I consider the risk to be negligible.

YMMV and, as was said, if you don't want to try one---you do you. No need to hall monitor other folks who are also just hanging out in their own comfort levels and reporting on developments of interest for others.
You seem offended. I was merely giving those of you considering a third party adapter that Rivian hasn't signed off on food for thought. You are taking a small risk. That's all. No judgement.

Rivian R1T R1S ⚡️ Rivian announces: March Tesla Supercharger access & free NACS adapters! 1710795457512-z9

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Lincoln is a long way from Denver and the EA stations in Ogallala and Lexington were in bad shape when I went through in January.
North Platte supercharger is open, Kearny supercharger is open. They just need to open Lincoln, Omaha and Des Moines to make it to Chicago on all superchargers.

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
You seem offended. I was merely giving those of you considering a third party adapter that Rivian hasn't signed off on food for thought. You are taking a small risk. That's all. No judgement.
Nah, bro—apologies if I came across as offended.

I mean, you came across as a bit preachy if you don't mind my saying so, but it's just the internet—It's hard to get the signals straight. No offense taken and none intended.

That being said, there are a ton of people stepping in to say:

"Whoa, buddy, that sticker right there says you can't stand on that rung of the ladder."

And it gets old, especially when it's clear most of these folks are responding to boilerplate legalese and don't actually have much data.

pdq

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad, Tesla Y, BMW 330ix
Occupation
IT
"Whoa, buddy, that sticker right there says you can't stand on that rung of the ladder."
I snowboard double diamond, but too chicken to risk standing on the top rung of a ladder! 😅. Interesting that A2Z adapter, which indeed seems to be good quality, is cheaper than TeslaTap 60A J1772 adapter (US version; works great).
Sponsored