Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So, very few of you seem worried about warranty issues using a 3rd party adapter. I'll wait for the official one...
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

While Rivian says it will be plug and charge, what about if you sign up for a Tesla membership? Will you get the discounted rate? Guess someone will need to test that out.
From what I've seen, if you have a Tesla Membership, you'll have to use the Tesla App.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
While Rivian says it will be plug and charge, what about if you sign up for a Tesla membership? Will you get the discounted rate? Guess someone will need to test that out.
The way it works, today, for Ford owners is you only get the discounted rates via initiating the charge within the Tesla App, and not plug-n-charge.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The way it works, today, for Ford owners is you only get the discounted rates via initiating the charge within the Tesla App, and not plug-n-charge.
So how does that work then? I thought you have to plug in first and then select a charger but if you plug in first won't the charging start automatically if you have plug and charge setup?

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
So how does that work then? I thought you have to plug in first and then select a charger but if you plug in first won't the charging start automatically if you have plug and charge setup?
If you want the discounted rate, you will start by using the Tesla app and selecting "charge a non-Tesla EV" and follow the prompts/steps.

If you just want to plug and charge then you won't get the member pricing.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So, very few of you seem worried about warranty issues using a 3rd party adapter. I'll wait for the official one...
Ultimately, if the adapter is doing the legwork of monitoring temperatures and sending whatever signal is necessary to reduce the rate of charge, it should mostly be a non-issue. Provided the adapter is using high enough quality materials and has properly designed pin interfaces so it doesn't cause damage.

Rivian will still deny any kind of a warranty issue that's a result of a bad adapter if it isn't the Tesla provided one. It remains to be seen if there will be a quality difference here between official and unofficial adapters. 220kW is definitely a LOT of energy. I personally will be waiting for the "Official" one if I ever even use it.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Can you imagine frying something with a 3rd party adapter involved....

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
No, the only way to get the discounted rate is to use the Tesla app. Someone on X already confirmed this by trying it both ways.

Hercules10

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Im sure it will work, but im not going to spend $200 to get a 3rd party adapter, when a OEM-blessed one is coming for free. I don’t want to risk this a2z quality control, they have less skin in the game, than Tesla or whoever is making ours.
My experience with Rivian support has not been that great. I fully expect the Rivian adapter sometime later this year after I have taken a 3K road trip. Some of the road trip areas only have Tesla superchargers and that is why I purchased a third party adapter. It would be nice to save the 200bucks, but I would like to get to my destination. On my last road trip I showed up to one charger with 18miles of charge left. Never again... The adapter gives me options and peace of mind. A2Z also has the adapter for Tesla destination chargers at hotels; bought that too.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Very much a newbie regarding the best choices for the adapters, Lectron or A2Z. In a few minutes of surfing, I found the A2Z and Lectron. You opinion counts, which would be better suited for our Rivian application?
Either will work. State of Charge's YouTube channel interviewed both CEOs and they seem to have their acts together. I suspect A2Z will ship faster if you need something quickly. Lectron's design is more user friendly. The A2Z adapter has a manual Tesla connector latch that you have to manually slide to lock and unlock the Tesla connector, whereas Lectron's is spring loaded, so much easier to use.

And please, we don't need more posts saying "I'm going to wait for the official adapter". You do you. Some people have trips planned and can't wait until after summer to get their adapter.

State of Charge did a formal review of the A2Z adapter () and will soon post their review of the Lectron adapter. In their tests, the A2Z adapter didn't come anywhere near temperature limits during a full Supercharger session. Both adapters also have fail safe temperature sensors in them that cut off power (properly) if the temperature did hit a ceiling.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Right now I only know one third party adapter which is being used by folks, posted on Youtube / Twitter and available for shipping. I plan to keep it in my Frunk and only use it if Tesla charger is the last resort (running out of range due to speed, AT tires or wind) before my official charger shows up. I will always keep one as a back-up in case the original one goes bad or gets lost / dropped.

If folks have issues, you will see comments and videos posted up pretty quick about them.

I don't want to wait for the official charger to show up and just ordered one from A2Z using discount code "RIV" and will use it until the official one shows up.

I also put an order in for the Lectron one and will post up a review on both later.

Folks who ordered A2Z adapter 2 - 3 weeks ago are receiving it now. This is what the company has to say about availability.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V

1711036370898-5j-png-png.png

Here we are!

Just wanted to drop in and say we’re here for you all, ready to chat and help out on the forum whenever you need.

Let's clarify something:
We have stock, we receive inventory almost everyday and we ship hundreds of orders daily since the 5th of January. Over a thousand Ford owners are already using our adapters on Tesla Superchargers since the 29th of February.

Now, about the wait time for this adapter—it's taking 2-3 weeks to ship because we've got a ton of orders to handle, we’re super strict about checking each adapter (yep, every single one gets inspected and tested in China and Canada), and our shipping team isn’t huge. But don’t worry, we’re on it! We’re thinking about bringing more folks on board to speed things up. Just hang tight, we’re getting there and improving how fast we can get these adapters out to you.

As a side note, we are the only company currently shipping NACS to CCS1 adapters, the only one...

- A2Z EV

Last edited:

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Right now I only know of once third party adapter which is being used by folks, posted on Youtube / Twitter and available for shipping. I plan to keep it in my Frunk and only use it if Tesla charger is the last resort (running out of range due to speed, AT tires or wind) before my official charger shows up. I will always keep one as a back-up in case the original one goes bad or gets lost / dropped.

If folks have issues, you will see comments and videos posted up pretty quick about them.
Yeah, I monitor the F150 Lightning forum and no one's had a problem with their A2Z adapter, other than fumbling with that manual latch.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Right now I only know of once third party adapter which is being used by folks, posted on Youtube / Twitter and available for shipping. I plan to keep it in my Frunk and only use it if Tesla charger is the last resort (running out of range due to speed, AT tires or wind) before my official charger shows up. I will always keep one as a back-up in case the original one goes bad or gets lost / dropped.

Exact same here. I have a few road trips this summer and will use the Rivian one if I have it in time. If not then I'll have to risk it with the A2Z one I just ordered. After I get the Rivian adapter I'll keep the A2Z one as a backup for emergencies.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Very much a newbie regarding the best choices for the adapters, Lectron or A2Z. In a few minutes of surfing, I found the A2Z and Lectron. You opinion counts, which would be better suited for our Rivian application? I too have multiple road trips planned - Glenwood Springs to Denver to Chicago and then cruising the southern states in a non-direct route back. I would like to add options for routing as like the TV ad says: “Honestly, it’s not for everyone” and I would like to try I70 or even US Highways verses the Interstate. I probably have 200 trips under belt across Nebraska, 90% during the dark hours of the day so as not to be distracted by the scenery.
Glenwood to Denver you have so many CCS options I wouldn't worry about it...the Edwards EA station has been my stop of choice and in Glenwood you have the Volvo/ChargePoint units available now. As for Denver to Chicago...sadly, most of the Tesla stations are V2 and won't be of any help.
Sponsored