First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Hi there! I just got my 8 steps email last night and I'm excited to take delivery of my new R1T soon.

Can anybody share how they're transporting their kayak in the R1T? I'd love to see photos if you can share. I have a set of Thule folding kayak holders, so I suppose those could go on top of the cab, though there would be significant overhang over the front of the car. I'm curious if people have tried loading them in the bed?
Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Hi there! I just got my 8 steps email last night and I'm excited to take delivery of my new R1T soon.

Can anybody share how they're transporting their kayak in the R1T? I'd love to see photos if you can share. I have a set of Thule folding kayak holders, so I suppose those could go on top of the cab, though there would be significant overhang over the front of the car. I'm curious if people have tried loading them in the bed?
Mine are like 9' or so. I've loaded them in the bed loose, also on top of the cab with the kayak mounts from rivian. both worked well.

OP
OP
bgoldber88

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Mine are 12'6" so I think they'd be tough to get in the bed nicely. Though, I'm not sure. This is my first truck.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine are 12'6" so I think they'd be tough to get in the bed nicely. Though, I'm not sure. This is my first truck.
Our 74lb 14' tandem went on the roof with Yakima Handrolls and Deckhand. What a pain in the back to load and unload though! You really have to lift the back to avoid the roof fin.

Edit to add: careful with anything over 11', it's gonna stick out and sit funny. The 10s barely fit right.

Sorry, couldn't find pics.

We just bought some 10' 40lb boats and will be using Jaylows.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I have the delta 12.6 but have not transported it yet with the Rivian (counting the months eagerly though!). My plan is to put the long kayak on the roof for long trips (Yakima folding J from the gear shop with the Rivian cords bars). For shorter trips (that don’t require stops along the way), I might try putting the delta in the bed with some foam support and straps plus a flag out the back. I have seen at least one other forum member post pics and I think you end up with 60% or more of the yak supported. The issue is if you need to park anywhere along the way, like a charger, that boat will be sticking out quite a bit into traffic. I’m not sure there will be a ton of overhang with the 12.6 on the roof, if any, the R1T is long and the tow hooks are ideal for a bow line. If there is time, I’ll experiment with the longer boat on the roof but without the J rack, to see if there are gains in efficiency that way.

my wife’s 10’ will usually go in the bed. With the tailgate down, there’s plenty of supporting surface for that.
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak Transport 8B6EBAA4-C03D-4CBF-B82B-A537BA1C38AC

Sponsored

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
For a 12' kayak, I would think a bed extender like the one shown in this post is what you would need. If you have the kayak mounts on top of the cab it would likely work pretty well.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Our kayak is enormous, but this works for transport from the house to the harbor and around locally.

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak Transport F06F2C11-D908-438B-87DB-35812139D413

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Our kayak is enormous, but this works for transport from the house to the harbor and around locally.

F06F2C11-D908-438B-87DB-35812139D413.jpeg
Can you say what kayak that is? Is it 14’?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Can you say what kayak that is? Is it 14’?
It’s the Blade Tandem, got it from Dicks a few years ago. I think it’s 14’ - too long for anything i’ve owned, and comical to put on top of a truck using standard J-racks.

markjinmd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6
Check out the Yakima LongArm or Thule Goalpost. Both go into hitch and are height adjustable so with a crossbar on cab roof you have 2 points to tie down a boat. I'm waiting on my R1T but will most likely go with with LongArm to carry 2 of our 12' kayaks.

Yakima LongArm

Sponsored

Joelpro

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi Q7
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak Transport B6D8667F-CEED-4D13-8A0A-A465D87EFF8E
My Hobie Compass Tandem. I should have put my bed extender on there but I wasn’t going far. The tie downs held a good bit of tension well.

Riv I Am

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Awaiting R1T - GW/OC VIN 171xx
Occupation
Health care
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak Transport IMG_0138

Lifetime Kokanee 12’6” tandem kayak (76 lbs). Not an ideal way to transport but held well from the store to home. Have yet to take it out since I got it. Still debating what method I’ll use to carry it for quick vs long trips. Thanks for the advice and links shared in this thread!

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Made this bed extender out of aluminum extrusion and use the factory crossbars on the roof with range industries crossbars on the bed.

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak Transport yak rack

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Made this bed extender out of aluminum extrusion and use the factory crossbars on the roof with range industries crossbars on the bed.

yak rack.jpg
What are those brackets that are attached to the bed?