Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen!

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
Stoked about the new information, but sadly no info about the crossbars ability to telescope up! My canoe needs to span the roof and bed. I was told in Mill Valley that the rear crossbars could go up but that appears to have changed. This could be a problem (lots of long light boats out there)!
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 61272643_10157315429000984_3420419539723091968_n
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I figured the telescoping feature would get dropped, but I assumed they'd offer a "tower" accessory that could attach between the bed and crossbars... I was disappointed to not see that released with the crossbars.

I do hope they continue to develop a solution for this problem.

OP
OP

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
I'm on chat now...they don't seem to understand.

notdeadyet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4 Prime
I'm on chat now...they don't seem to understand.
Did they ever give you word?

I’m surprised Rivian hasn’t noticed how many trucks have telescoping racks for just this purpose.

OP
OP

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
No word. Promised they would get back to me within two hours...crickets!

Sponsored

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
I think they will eventually release the telescoping rack. They had a concept design art piece which showcase this accessory. I once emailed customer service and made an accessory suggestion on this too.

OP
OP

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
I think they will eventually release the telescoping rack. They had a concept design art piece which showcase this accessory. I once emailed customer service and made an accessory suggestion on this too.

Spoke with them again yesterday. They thought it was a good idea, but said there were no plans at this time. Sucks as in Mill Valley I was told "Absolutely" we will have that functionality!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It would be difficult if not impossible to have a tall crossbar with a single attachment point on each side that could support a load. 250 lbs at the end of a ~3 ft lever.

The bed rack products currently offered require bolting to the bed rails in multiple locations with extended bases
:
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 1622216340569

Or are single piece units:
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 1622216429071

Putting a telescoping pole on the "clip in" crossbar design would provide support only when the vehicle was not in motion.

stephenheuer

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-tron First Edition, Audi RS3, R1T LE
I'm hoping that I can attach a canoe to the top of the R1T and the Tent above the bed at the same time.

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
Spoke with them again yesterday. They thought it was a good idea, but said there were no plans at this time. Sucks as in Mill Valley I was told "Absolutely" we will have that functionality!
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 2F8FE081-7779-4021-B6B4-3FAF0A6989B1
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! D69A19E3-3885-4E71-A837-A99AAE1C56FF
There is the art piece I was referring to. Someone in this forum posted it before. I’m still optimistic about it.

Sponsored

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I may be circling back to using a canopy. Besides providing more storage space, it might involve less creativity to come up with a system for loading my kayak.

We have some local companies in BC that manufacture canopies. Even if they couldn't get hold of the Rivian clips for attaching a roofrack to the canopy, I could always attach my existing roofracks to the canopy with a Yakima setup. The only question would be whether the canopy roofracks would then line up level with the Rivian roofracks on the truck cab.

If I do go this route, it would give me two options for loading the kayak. One would be to line up behind the truck and place the bow on the back rack. Lift up the stern and shove the kayak forward into tie down position.

The second option would be more interesting. I have a loader bar that pulls out of one of my roofracks. Place that on the back of the truck and pull out the bar. With the kayak beside the vehicle, lift the stern onto the bar. Then lift the bow onto a forward rack and pop the stern onto the back rack. Slide it into place and tie down.

The big question then becomes whether Rivian intends to market a canopy and/or whether the local manufacturers will alter one of their existing designs to fit the R1t.

Wimberley51

First Name
Donn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150, 1978 FJ55
Occupation
App Development
Clubs

I may be circling back to using a canopy. Besides providing more storage space, it might involve less creativity to come up with a system for loading my kayak.

We have some local companies in BC that manufacture canopies. Even if they couldn't get hold of the Rivian clips for attaching a roofrack to the canopy, I could always attach my existing roofracks to the canopy with a Yakima setup. The only question would be whether the canopy roofracks would then line up level with the Rivian roofracks on the truck cab.

If I do go this route, it would give me two options for loading the kayak. One would be to line up behind the truck and place the bow on the back rack. Lift up the stern and shove the kayak forward into tie down position.

The second option would be more interesting. I have a loader bar that pulls out of one of my roofracks. Place that on the back of the truck and pull out the bar. With the kayak beside the vehicle, lift the stern onto the bar. Then lift the bow onto a forward rack and pop the stern onto the back rack. Slide it into place and tie down.

The big question then becomes whether Rivian intends to market a canopy and/or whether the local manufacturers will alter one of their existing designs to fit the R1t.
I too have been scheming how to carry my kayaks efficiently. I have an R1T with the RTT on order, and will also order an extra set of cross bars. My plan is to invert my "T-bar" bed extender in the hitch receiver to support the stern of the kayak, and use the roof mounted cross bars to support the bow of the kayak. This will enable me to simultaneously mount the RTT to the bed mounted cross bars, below the kayak. When parked for the overnight camp, kayak and bed extender can be demounted to enable deployment of the RTT and full bed use. Not perfect, but works for me!
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! CROSS BARS

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

My plan is to invert my "T-bar" bed extender in the hitch receiver to support the stern of the kayak, and use the roof mounted cross bars to support the bow of the kayak.
I’ve never thought of this…. that’s genius.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
My wife and I own both a Madriver Canoe and 2 hard paddle boards and, as Charles Barkley would say, “I Guarantee” you won’t have any issues with an accessory lift for flat carry on R1T. Stupid ostentatious gull-wing doors on Model X will never work for my family, thus my R1S choice.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I have been hoping for the same telescoping feature. Great call out in the design pics from a background.
My feeling is perhaps they will come up with a way to use Yakima’s truck bed racks, on the Rivian bed rail points. Here is my gladiator setup I hope to replicate.

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! BA394D00-27E6-4EA4-9D1C-8E7E4BFD1108

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 35950899-5CEA-4087-A15C-3F6FC57D189F
Sponsored