Sponsored

Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Unfortunately I cannot. But think about in these terms, none of the major rack manufacturers currently have a fit for a bed rack that levels up with the cab for the R1T. That should tell you something.....sorry.
No one is shipping all weather floor mats, either. It’s a low volume new platform so I don’t read much into the current dearth of aftermarket options.

I’m not saying there isn’t a reason tall racks can’t be done…. Just saying the absence of such an option isn’t de-facto evidence.
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Similar to the canoo/kayak concerns, how are we carrying lumber in this bad boy? I have a need for a home project for some 12' planks of vinyl/wood. I'm hesitant to put that in the bed since it'll overhand the tailgate (while extended) by like 5', and because it's that vinyl stuff, it'll sag down a bunch, too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For 12’ lumber I would use a trailer.

8’ I would use the bed, tailgate down, and a flag.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
No one is shipping all weather floor mats, either. It’s a low volume new platform so I don’t read much into the current dearth of aftermarket options.

I’m not saying there isn’t a reason tall racks can’t be done…. Just saying the absence of such an option isn’t de-facto evidence.
things like towers/feet for roof rack crossbars have pretty low up front costs compared to making tooling for high volume injection moulding of something floor mat sized.

yakima is already the supplier of roof rack systems to Rivian, and they have multiple products that could just have the Rivian style attachment for the mounting points stuck on the bottom, and hey presto you’ve got roof height crossbars.

Obviously the bed rail mounting points are not strong enough in some manner to support a taller crossbar position. Seems like a big oversight on Rivian’s part.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
things like towers/feet for roof rack crossbars have pretty low up front costs compared to making tooling for high volume injection moulding of something floor mat sized.

yakima is already the supplier of roof rack systems to Rivian, and they have multiple products that could just have the Rivian style attachment for the mounting points stuck on the bottom, and hey presto you’ve got roof height crossbars.

Obviously the bed rail mounting points are not strong enough in some manner to support a taller crossbar position. Seems like a big oversight on Rivian’s part.
I don’t disagree. But no one will say why it won’t work. That I don’t understand.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don’t disagree. But no one will say why it won’t work. That I don’t understand.
I’ve designed lots of things that didn’t work and am not allowed to say why.

bgmaxey

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
So - this video from the Overland Expo shows a Xtrusion Overland rack design at 7:30 for the R1T. I messaged the company about the rack and they responded: "Yes, we're super excited for it. We are looking at testing the mounting brackets in the next few weeks and would likely release until late November after we've done some thorough testing."

Fingers crossed. Looks like a pretty solid rack w/options.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

So - this video from the Overland Expo shows a Xtrusion Overland rack design at 7:30 for the R1T. I messaged the company about the rack and they responded: "Yes, we're super excited for it. We are looking at testing the mounting brackets in the next few weeks and would likely release until late November after we've done some thorough testing."

Fingers crossed. Looks like a pretty solid rack w/options.
Looks nice. I would like them to take my money now.

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I bought a yakima long arm for my last truck. I'm hoping it works for the rivian.
Sponsored