First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Does not the Kayak Mounts offered by Rivian suffice? I'm not too familiar with Kayaks and their sizes. But I did see Rivian does offer mounts for them https://rivian.com/gear-shop/p/kayak-mount
Actually @E.S. The Rivian crossbar spacing is sufficient to support most Kayaks and such. I thought longer equipment (>12') would need greater spacing but that looks largely untrue. Just need to make sure to use bow and stern straps to stabilize the longer equipment against wind loads. Of coarse be sure to follow the equipment's owners manual.
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Actually @E.S. The Rivian crossbar spacing is sufficient to support most Kayaks and such. I thought longer equipment (>12') would need greater spacing but that looks largely untrue. Just need to make sure to use bow and stern straps to stabilize the longer equipment against wind loads. Of coarse be sure to follow the equipment's owners manual.
I agree that for shorter plastic kayaks, that may be sufficient but for my 17’ strip build kayak, in addition to better stability, tying down the kayak on top of bulkhead plates is the best way to reduce the stress on weaker parts. Those planes are 5 feet apart in my Kayak. This is not mine:

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 1645067942805

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Why not a station wagon? Lower to the ground and could have good rack options. Maybe a Taycan Cross Turismo?

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Why not a station wagon? Lower to the ground and could have good rack options. Maybe a Taycan Cross Turismo?
Or this...
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! Screenshot_20220216-212139_Edge

If it actually existed...

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
yes! that company makes the coolest designs that will never be produced.
Agreed. I think I would buy pretty much anything they design.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Agreed. I think I would buy pretty much anything they design.
yep, it's like a cool mixture of 70s Japanese toyota/Datsun styling with some Scandinavian influence

I saw the mini truck in person at the Petersen. It looked awesome but it didn't have an interior.

OP
OP

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
A Rack like this on the rooftop crossbars will be fine for most canoes and kayaks. This boat is 21 feet long and the crossbar spread on my Acura is less than the spread on the roof of the R1T. I have driven thousands of miles with this set up, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! IMG_4139.JPG

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
A Rack like this on the rooftop crossbars will be fine for most canoes and kayaks. This boat is 21 feet long and the crossbar spread on my Acura is less than the spread on the roof of the R1T. I have driven thousands of miles with this set up, so it shouldn't be a problem.
IMG_4139.JPG
I have seen this before and I apologize if I have asked this question before; Is the aluminum thing the kayak is strapped to home made or you purchased it? Can you share more details?

OP
OP

luriaj

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Datsun 269Z
I have seen this before and I apologize if I have asked this question before; Is the aluminum thing the kayak is strapped to home made or you purchased it? Can you share more details?
They are purchased from https://www.goodboypaddlesports.com/home/. These racks are quite well regarded in the outrigger/surfski community. They are well made and the guy who makes them is super helpful. It seems like the attachment may need to be modified, but these things are awesome!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

• Love
Reactions: Max

FDC-R1T

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra
Occupation
Construction / Design
I really hope that they come up with a solution to this topic. I paddle 14' Carbon SUP's on a regular basis, and would like to go longer one day, and I also work in construction and have to carry 16' pieces of trim on a regular basis. I really want to follow through on my purchase of the R1T, but I can't have a truck that restricts me. I currently use the Thule Xsporter. I've asked rivian customer service a few times, and they always reply. "Sounds like a good idea". But nothing further. Frustrating, would have been so much easier to make standard bed rails that we can mount anything that we want. My only hope is that they figure this out before it is my turn to configure my truck.

bgmaxey

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
Today I picked up a used Yakima Longarm with the extender, which will provide stern support for my 16' kayak while the bow rests on the cab Rivian rack. Here are pix of the longarm on the truck. Happy to report that in the lowest position, the tailgate can be lowered. Not much space, but some. This is not ideal and I keep my fingers crossed for a Thule Xsporter or cab height rack.

Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 5C33F16E-AF65-405D-8EAB-205DB3BA98BB
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 93BA9727-9977-4AA6-9AB1-19A6AF09321E
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 9858715A-84A6-4F23-B528-99BE6FB52280
Rivian R1T R1S Kayak/Canoe problem foreseen! 6A6859CF-0597-49B2-9809-5538FB48A9E2
Sponsored