OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
In Missouri sales tax is now added at the dealership when you purchase the vehicle. That changed this summer.
Sponsored

Cujo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4, Jeep 4xe, Shelby GT350, Pontiac GTO
Just a note on this.. no, it's not. It's a mass produced vehicle you can preorder at MSRP with a $7,500 rebate. You're not reselling an R1T for above MSRP. I've dealt with more expensive and rarer cars for years, and I don't know how anyone gets those numbers.

Either you're betting that Rivian flourishes, making the car more common & easier to get, or they struggle, making the car less common & less desirable.

If you want your Rivian, you should get it! If you're thinking you're going to flip it and make profit, you need to go consult a financial and/or car expert. I'm 100% not insulting or attacking anyone but if your plan is to buy & flip an R1T please check with an expert first, don't take my word for it and don't take the forum's.

I'm no financial expert, but supply and demand will ultimately drive the market price. If a pre order holder takes delivery of an R1T and auctions on Ebay in the next few weeks I'm confident the selling price would be well in excess of $100K. First Edition Broncos were selling for close to $100K with a $50K MSRP.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I'm no financial expert, but supply and demand will ultimately drive the market price. If a pre order holder takes delivery of an R1T and auctions on Ebay in the next few weeks I'm confident the selling price would be well in excess of $100K. First Edition Broncos were selling for close to $100K with a $50K MSRP.
They were maybe listed for that price. Do you know people that were buying at that price?

Last edited:

Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
50k if you want my spot, that what I believe I would be able to flip it for with my place in line
I would love to bet you $50k that you won't be able to flip your LE for a $50k profit. I'll patiently wait another year or so for mine and let them work out the production kinks.

Cujo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
In Missouri sales tax is now added at the dealership when you purchase the vehicle. That changed this summer.
I did not know that changed. Probably for the best. Most the temp tags I see are expired. I hope they still base car sales tax on where you live rather than the dealers location. I live in a lower sales tax area.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Many dealers are marking up a variety of cars between $20K and $50K over MSRP. I'm pretty sure a R1T Launch Edition will fetch north of $100K for several months after all LE vehicls are delivered. The price will fall (slightly) once non-LE versions are being resold.

Sponsored

OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I did not know that changed. Probably for the best. Most the temp tags I see are expired. I hope they still base car sales tax on where you live rather than the dealers location. I live in a lower sales tax area.
I think most states charge based on the zip you are registering in. california does for sure.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Many dealers are marking up a variety of cars between $20K and $50K over MSRP. I'm pretty sure a R1T Launch Edition will fetch north of $100K for several months after all LE vehicls are delivered. The price will fall (slightly) once non-LE versions are being resold.
Many dealers do, but they usually sit on the lots for months when they have a high "market adjustment." Dealers can afford to sit on the cars and wait. Different story when it's an individual making monthly payments hoping to flip a truck. Not saying there is not profit to be made... I just think it's somewhat limited. Time will certainly tell. I don't think there will be many/any going for $50k over MSRP... as at that price, too many people would sell their trucks and take the profit.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Many dealers do, but they usually sit on the lots for months when they have a high "market adjustment." Dealers can afford to sit on the cars and wait. Different story when it's an individual making monthly payments hoping to flip a truck. Not saying there is not profit to be made... I just think it's somewhat limited. Time will certainly tell. I don't think there will be many/any going for $50k over MSRP... as at that price, too many people would sell their trucks and take the profit.
First off, flipping vehicles is a lousy investment strategy. Some may get lucky, but if you can't afford the vehicle don't buy it.

This is where supply and demand comes in. If every LE holder sold their vehicle, the first ones will get the largest premium. Future resale values will fall as those who really want (need) it will have been satisfied. The only remaining buyers will be those who don't need and really don't want to pay too much. Eventually, demand will slow and supply will meet demand. At this point, MSRP less depreciation (based on use and condition) will determine resale value.

Cujo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First off, flipping vehicles is a lousy investment strategy. Some may get lucky, but if you can't afford the vehicle don't buy it.

This is where supply and demand comes in. If every LE holder sold their vehicle, the first ones will get the largest premium. Future resale values will fall as those who really want (need) it will have been satisfied. The only remaining buyers will be those who don't need and really don't want to pay too much. Eventually, demand will slow and supply will meet demand. At this point, MSRP less depreciation (based on use and condition) will determine resale value.

I agree. It will be the first ones on the market that bring the big markups.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Just a note on this.. no, it's not. It's a mass produced vehicle you can preorder at MSRP with a $7,500 rebate. You're not reselling an R1T for above MSRP. I've dealt with more expensive and rarer cars for years, and I don't know how anyone gets those numbers.

Either you're betting that Rivian flourishes, making the car more common & easier to get, or they struggle, making the car less common & less desirable.

If you want your Rivian, you should get it! If you're thinking you're going to flip it and make profit, you need to go consult a financial and/or car expert. I'm 100% not insulting or attacking anyone but if your plan is to buy & flip an R1T please check with an expert first, don't take my word for it and don't take the forum's.
First off, take any 'expensive car' experience you have pre 2020 and throw it out. Given that you have a Taycan 4S presumably you know about the crazy games Porsche is playing. 25-100K for a GT3, 150k over for GT4RS, 20k for a GTS. Once again these are all mass produced.

Look at what happened with the Plaid. Were going 10-25k over. Had a friend drive his for 3 months and sell it for 15k over MSRP.

If those are too niche look at Chevy. Tahoes going 10-20k over list. Corvette Z06 15-50k over list for the spot, the first ones that show up will be 100k over. Regular Corvettes going for 15-25 over list.

I would love to bet you $50k that you won't be able to flip your LE for a $50k profit. I'll patiently wait another year or so for mine and let them work out the production kinks.
I would take that bet.

Early Rivians will be the hottest ticket. Someone in Socal could put one up for 125 and itd sell within the day.

To the guy offering 1k...LOL.
Sponsored