First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm number 34xx. I feel like I'm leaning to the Lightning. Hit me up.
Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
@Taycanfrank and @toade, what is it worth to you? Throw out a number that you are willing to pay without having an auction. Be willing and prepared to pay that amount. Who knows, someone is bound to bite.
Yah, I’m not selling but am curious the value of moving up in the draft so to speak. If there’s no Admin prohibition against it show us your commitment…

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I'm not sure what the rules are or aren't so if I'm violating any please let me know and delete this.

To be clear, I'm just seeing if someone is already canceling and wants to make risk free money. I have a reservation and can get the car at MSRP. I just happen to be an EV fanatic that was late to the show and would love to get it sooner.

The offer I've sent is the deposit plus an additional $1,000. So $2,000 total. Just need to see the confirmation email and agree that the deposit & preorder are being permanently transfered to me.

I know people have put big numbers in this thread but to be clear there is no guarantee of even moving up by doing this, Rivian could very likely see the swap and put you back to the end of the line. Purchasing the preorder guarantees you nothing more than putting a deposit down right now does, we already know Rivian does not intend to go down the preorder list in order.

It's risk free money for the seller and very risky for the buyer. With that said, if someone can confirm a higher actual buyer I'd love to hear the number as well. If you disagree with my offer, that's fine, and I'll certainly reconsider it if someone actually pays more.
I don't think that offer is going to get a lot of interest unless you happen to find someone that isn't planning on making their purchase anyway.

kcarden

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Acadia, Yukon
Occupation
Energy Consultant
I'm a spring 2019 order with R1S LE reservation. I'm not really that well off, but I don't think I would sell my reservation for <$100k. I know it's not worth that, but I've been waiting for this for almost 3 years, there's nothing else I'm looking to buy right now, and I'd prefer the vehicle over a lot more cash in the bank.

Sponsored

OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
This thread is more for a holder that no longer wants the truck... either they are tired of waiting, or another vehicle has come up that they are going with instead. Or someone that has been holding the reservation, and meaning to cancel, but figured they'd hold it and see what happens. This is not for the Rivian fan that has been patiently waiting for 3 years.

The risk factor is certainly what is going to keep offers low. There is a real possibility of Rivian canceling the reservation, or bumping it down, and I can't see someone taking that risk for $20k.

That said, I'm willing to go a little higher Frank and offer $5000 for a Launch Edition reservation.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This thread is more for a holder that no longer wants the truck... either they are tired of waiting, or another vehicle has come up that they are going with instead. Or someone that has been holding the reservation, and meaning to cancel, but figured they'd hold it and see what happens. This is not for the Rivian fan that has been patiently waiting for 3 years.
Even if someone no longer wants the truck, that doesn't change the fact that the market value is likely 100K+

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm a spring 2019 order with R1S LE reservation. I'm not really that well off, but I don't think I would sell my reservation for <$100k. I know it's not worth that, but I've been waiting for this for almost 3 years, there's nothing else I'm looking to buy right now, and I'd prefer the vehicle over a lot more cash in the bank.
My sentiments, exactly. I certainly don't begrudge anyone wanting to "move up in the draft" or outright buy someone out of their position, or anyone who wants to sell their long-standing reservation. Frankly, I hope everyone walks away from this initial rollout of vehicles happy with their choice. I hope everyone either gets to roll around the country in a really cool Rivian, or roll around naked in a big pile of cash they made from selling it.

As for my interest in giving up/selling my reservation, or selling the truck right after purchase, my feelings were best summed-up by Chuck:

(Please pardon any perceived negative symbolism, along with my technological inability to photoshop a Rivian into his right hand)

Last edited:
OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Even if someone no longer wants the truck, that doesn't change the fact that the market value is likely 100K+

So you think no one ever cancels a reservation? I'm guessing there are a few cancellations here and there. And I'm hoping maybe one comes up that would rather make an easy $5k. I'm not convinced the market value is $100k+, and it is a lot harder to buy a truck and flip it (and eat sales tax) then it is to take an easy $5k payment.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
So you think no one ever cancels a reservation? I'm guessing there are a few cancellations here and there. And I'm hoping maybe one comes up that would rather make an easy $5k. I'm not convinced the market value is $100k+, and it is a lot harder to buy a truck and flip it (and eat sales tax) then it is to take an easy $5k payment.
Given the current market conditions for all new vehicles no re-seller of a Rivain is going to have to 'eat' sales tax.:cool:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
TBH, if I could get my hands on a Launch Edition reservation for a small reasonable fee like Frank suggested I would probably as well. Mostly because I would like to get launch green.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
TBH, if I could get my hands on a Launch Edition reservation for a small reasonable fee like Frank suggested I would probably as well. Mostly because I would like to get launch green.
I predicted this and is why I made 5,000 LE reservations. Let the bidding begin. Just don't tell Rivian what I did.

Bobc2u

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ram 1500 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
I'd like to have the LE green too, if someone is giving up their spot.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Given the current market conditions for all new vehicles no re-seller of a Rivain is going to have to 'eat' sales tax.:cool:
I'm not saying they will upside down... just that it will eat into any profits they are hoping for. On top of that the rebate can be tricky, as you are not eligible for the rebate on a car you plan to immediately resell. Not that the government polices that, but it would be a risk and technically is tax fraud. Furthermore, it is not a rebate, it is a credit against money you owe... so you need to make sure you owe a good chunk of tax at the end of 2022.

Is there money to be made in buying a Rivian simply to flip it? Or course... but it certainly is a hassle and could end up being less than people are expecting.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I'm not saying they will upside down... just that it will eat into any profits they are hoping for. On top of that the rebate can be tricky, as you are not eligible for the rebate on a car you plan to immediately resell. Not that the government polices that, but it would be a risk and technically is tax fraud. Furthermore, it is not a rebate, it is a credit against money you owe... so you need to make sure you owe a good chunk of tax at the end of 2022.

Is there money to be made in buying a Rivian simply to flip it? Or course... but it certainly is a hassle and could end up being less than people are expecting.
In Missouri we don't pay sales tax on our cars till we go to license them. So as long as it gets sold in less than 30 days I don't think the state cares. I also suspect that the tax rebate would follow similar rules. If you don't drive and license it then you're not the original purchaser.
But Missouri does have rules about being a car dealer and requires a dealers license. I was not able to find if that counted if you just sold one car. Probably not.
But no one in this thread is talking about paying $25,000 for a spot close to the front so I don't see figuring out all of this as being worth my time.
F150s around the Rivian's price point have gone up about $15,000 since the Rivian was announced. Much of that is due to the chip shortage. If you place a preorder now for a Rivian you're probably going to see a price increase before delivery. Tax incentives could change that but most likely the price of the truck will not stay the same for the 4 to 5 years from announcement to when a current preorder would get delivered.
I would say anyone that cancels an early preorder at this point is simply not paying attention to what a good value it is.
Sponsored