Looking to purchase your Launch Edition

OP
OP
toade

toade

Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I did not know that changed. Probably for the best. Most the temp tags I see are expired. I hope they still base car sales tax on where you live rather than the dealers location. I live in a lower sales tax area.
I think most states charge based on the zip you are registering in. california does for sure.

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
toade

toade

Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Many dealers are marking up a variety of cars between $20K and $50K over MSRP. I'm pretty sure a R1T Launch Edition will fetch north of $100K for several months after all LE vehicls are delivered. The price will fall (slightly) once non-LE versions are being resold.
Many dealers do, but they usually sit on the lots for months when they have a high "market adjustment." Dealers can afford to sit on the cars and wait. Different story when it's an individual making monthly payments hoping to flip a truck. Not saying there is not profit to be made... I just think it's somewhat limited. Time will certainly tell. I don't think there will be many/any going for $50k over MSRP... as at that price, too many people would sell their trucks and take the profit.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Honda CR-V, Corvette Z06
Many dealers do, but they usually sit on the lots for months when they have a high "market adjustment." Dealers can afford to sit on the cars and wait. Different story when it's an individual making monthly payments hoping to flip a truck. Not saying there is not profit to be made... I just think it's somewhat limited. Time will certainly tell. I don't think there will be many/any going for $50k over MSRP... as at that price, too many people would sell their trucks and take the profit.
First off, flipping vehicles is a lousy investment strategy. Some may get lucky, but if you can't afford the vehicle don't buy it.

This is where supply and demand comes in. If every LE holder sold their vehicle, the first ones will get the largest premium. Future resale values will fall as those who really want (need) it will have been satisfied. The only remaining buyers will be those who don't need and really don't want to pay too much. Eventually, demand will slow and supply will meet demand. At this point, MSRP less depreciation (based on use and condition) will determine resale value.

Cujo

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicles
GMC AT4, Jeep 4xe, Shelby GT350, Pontiac GTO
First off, flipping vehicles is a lousy investment strategy. Some may get lucky, but if you can't afford the vehicle don't buy it.

This is where supply and demand comes in. If every LE holder sold their vehicle, the first ones will get the largest premium. Future resale values will fall as those who really want (need) it will have been satisfied. The only remaining buyers will be those who don't need and really don't want to pay too much. Eventually, demand will slow and supply will meet demand. At this point, MSRP less depreciation (based on use and condition) will determine resale value.

I agree. It will be the first ones on the market that bring the big markups.

protamine

Reaction score
Vehicles
17 911 GTS, 69 Camaro SS 396, 12 MB E350
Occupation
CT and Vascular Surgery
Just a note on this.. no, it's not. It's a mass produced vehicle you can preorder at MSRP with a $7,500 rebate. You're not reselling an R1T for above MSRP. I've dealt with more expensive and rarer cars for years, and I don't know how anyone gets those numbers.

Either you're betting that Rivian flourishes, making the car more common & easier to get, or they struggle, making the car less common & less desirable.

If you want your Rivian, you should get it! If you're thinking you're going to flip it and make profit, you need to go consult a financial and/or car expert. I'm 100% not insulting or attacking anyone but if your plan is to buy & flip an R1T please check with an expert first, don't take my word for it and don't take the forum's.
First off, take any 'expensive car' experience you have pre 2020 and throw it out. Given that you have a Taycan 4S presumably you know about the crazy games Porsche is playing. 25-100K for a GT3, 150k over for GT4RS, 20k for a GTS. Once again these are all mass produced.

Look at what happened with the Plaid. Were going 10-25k over. Had a friend drive his for 3 months and sell it for 15k over MSRP.

If those are too niche look at Chevy. Tahoes going 10-20k over list. Corvette Z06 15-50k over list for the spot, the first ones that show up will be 100k over. Regular Corvettes going for 15-25 over list.

I would love to bet you $50k that you won't be able to flip your LE for a $50k profit. I'll patiently wait another year or so for mine and let them work out the production kinks.
I would take that bet.

Early Rivians will be the hottest ticket. Someone in Socal could put one up for 125 and itd sell within the day.

To the guy offering 1k...LOL.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicles
Hummer H1, Lotus Elise, Fusion Energi platinum
Occupation
Equipment Manager
don't forget the truck as we are getting is being sold to us for the same price that was promised years ago I would not be surprised if the price goes up in the next year.

Surfnturf

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicles
Toyota Tunda, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
I'd sell my spot for 50K. I am a December 2018 res holder with a current R1T order LE with standard battery pack. Would assume to be in the first deliveries if they hold true to what they are saying. I think you could easily flip the vehicle if the first ones off production line for 25k. The other 25k are punitive damages from all the pain and suffering Rivian has caused early reservation holders with all the delays and priority employee vehicle delivers. Newer reservation holders wouldn't understand.... But they will when their prices go up and their deliveries get even more delayed. In all reality EV's will lose most of their value once they are bought as new technology is coming so fast it will be like a new iPhone coming out once a year. The only thing Tesla and Rivian have going for them right now is they are first to the market and the competition is not there yet. But it is coming and if Rivian delays any further they will lose their advantage.

My 50K offer is only out there for someone that wants one of the very first Rivian R1T's produced. Before the market gets flooded with Ev's.

E.S.

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
yOu KaNz HaS mInE fUr $350(K)

1637443393801.png

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Reaction score
First Name
Hubert
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
First off, take any 'expensive car' experience you have pre 2020 and throw it out. Given that you have a Taycan 4S presumably you know about the crazy games Porsche is playing. 25-100K for a GT3, 150k over for GT4RS, 20k for a GTS. Once again these are all mass produced.

Look at what happened with the Plaid. Were going 10-25k over. Had a friend drive his for 3 months and sell it for 15k over MSRP.

If those are too niche look at Chevy. Tahoes going 10-20k over list. Corvette Z06 15-50k over list for the spot, the first ones that show up will be 100k over. Regular Corvettes going for 15-25 over list.

I would take that bet.

Early Rivians will be the hottest ticket. Someone in Socal could put one up for 125 and itd sell within the day.

To the guy offering 1k...LOL.
Spot on: First month, regular customers, a “white hot” ticket; and if production continues to be slow, by the second month, super-heated.

SonsofOdin

First Name
Odin
Reaction score
First Name
Odin
Vehicles
R1T
Just got my confirmation today that I am expecting delivery march-april 2022. I am willing to sell my spot for 30k. Already confirmed we can change delivery name and address and payment info in the reservation. Launch edition R1T. Able to still change color and options it seems as well.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Reaction score
First Name
Hubert
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Just got my confirmation today that I am expecting delivery march-april 2022. I am willing to sell my spot for 30k. Already confirmed we can change delivery name and address and payment info in the reservation. Launch edition R1T. Able to still change color and options it seems as well.
Confirmation dates for LE orders placed early March 2019 arrived by email. R1T April - May 2022 and R1S May - June. One to two months apart..

SonsofOdin

First Name
Odin
Reaction score
First Name
Odin
Vehicles
R1T
Confirmation dates for LE orders placed early March 2019 arrived by email. R1T April - May 2022 and R1S May - June. One to two months apart..
My email from Rivian says march-april. Not April may.

OP
OP
toade

toade

Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
FWIW, people have been willing to sell their LE reservations for $5000. More power to you if you are able to get $20k+, but I don't think the market is there for a reservation. Truck in hand? Sure, maybe you could get that if you have an early truck in your possession, but too much risk and unknown involved in a reservation spot.

Advertisement

Advertisement