Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Fwiw - my saved LE configuration doesn't show a delivery cahrge.
I've only seen it in the estimated payment calculator and it is labeled "Est. Destination Fee".

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

KInda crazy how much we are paying. I think its a very capable vehicle, don't get me wrong, and might be worth the money in comparison to other similar priced vehicles but still just a lot of money. Never thought I'd spend this much on a truck. You can buy a condo, townhouse, or even house in many places in the US for that amount.
Compare this to a Jaguar I-pace or any other luxury EV or a high end ICE truck. I think the price is high but on par with the market.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Maybe I can just pick it up from the factory , I will even drive it off the production line myself! That 1700 is the difference between ugly white and terrific green paint or halfway to amazing Blue :)
I still think it should be included in free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime membership.
As a compromise I would accept paying the $1700 AND picking it up in Normal if I get to play with a demo on the Rivian playground for 90 minutes (no way am I getting the brand new one dirty before I get it ceramic coated.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Ouch, that crazy CA real estate market. My sister who lived in Georgia a few years back was looking at 2b2b condos for ~$50k.
50k seems real low. I bought a pretty rundown condo in MN for 88k 20 years ago. Today that condo would cost. 125-130. The only place to buy real cheap housing is limited. Although I imagine that will change in the not too distant future.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

50k seems real low. I bought a pretty rundown condo in MN for 88k 20 years ago. Today that condo would cost. 125-130. The only place to buy real cheap housing is limited. Although I imagine that will change in the not too distant future.
Those were the prices a few years ago. Did a quick check and they are pretty much the same.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Compare this to a Jaguar I-pace or any other luxury EV or a high end ICE truck. I think the price is high but on par with the market.
Again I'm not saying its not on par with the market. I'm saying its just a lot of money overall.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I will note, that while the rig does cost "a lot", it also saves a lot. I'll hold up my two vehicles as an example.

3-4 years of ownership, roughly the same mileage (around 60k).

Tesla X:
Maintenance and fuel: $1,050

Ram 1500:
Maintenance and fuel: $18,835 (approximate)

If the Rivian holds true to my Tesla X, it will easily pay for that "added cost", and will make itself vastly less expensive than a comparable truck.

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I will note, that while the rig does cost "a lot", it also saves a lot. I'll hold up my two vehicles as an example.

3-4 years of ownership, roughly the same mileage (around 60k).

Tesla X:
Maintenance and fuel: $1,050

Ram 1500:
Maintenance and fuel: $18,835 (approximate)

If the Rivian holds true to my Tesla X, it will easily pay for that "added cost", and will make itself vastly less expensive than a comparable truck.
Tesla Model X is rated 347 Watts per mile. That's 20,820 kW to travel 60k miles.

Even if you had ZERO maintenance costs and the entire $1,050 you quote went towards electricity, that would mean a per-kWh rate of 5.04 cents -- less than half of the national average (10.60 cents).

Do you have access to really cheap electricity? Or get some free charging? If using Solar, I think it'd be fair to include the cost of the generation capacity used for EV charging.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Tesla Model X is rated 347 Watts per mile. That's 20,820 kW to travel 60k miles.

Even if you had ZERO maintenance costs and the entire $1,050 you quote went towards electricity, that would mean a per-kWh rate of 5.04 cents -- less than half of the national average (10.60 cents).

Do you have access to really cheap electricity? Or get some free charging? If using Solar, I think it'd be fair to include the cost of the generation capacity used for EV charging.
Solar beefs it up.

I didn't include that as we also use it for the general household.. hard to parse that out (and it was already in place before the Tesla came into the garage).

That said, I believe we are billed at 11 or 13 cents per KWh, so, even assuming a 2x or 3x it still smokes the ICE.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Just for comparison, the F150 has a delivery charge of $1695.

So $1075 isn't exactly high.
Who needs to take delivery charge of a Ford? Would you be able to pick one up at the local dealer ?

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Who needs to take delivery charge of a Ford? Would you be able to pick one up at the local dealer ?
Delivery charges are just a way for them to charge a higher price while still claiming they’re not.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Solar beefs it up.

I didn't include that as we also use it for the general household.. hard to parse that out (and it was already in place before the Tesla came into the garage).

That said, I believe we are billed at 11 or 13 cents per KWh, so, even assuming a 2x or 3x it still smokes the ICE.
Did you install your own solar here? Were you able to get it cash positive in a reasonable timeframe? I can't seem to get it to make sense without looking out to about 15 years.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Did you install your own solar here? Were you able to get it cash positive in a reasonable timeframe? I can't seem to get it to make sense without looking out to about 15 years.
Heh... not really.

I mean, it definitely helps, it's cut our bill in half, and is great when the power drops (we have a 2x Tesla Wall).

...but, I wouldn't say it was the best financial decision.

They are great if you are planning on living in the house for 10+ years, however, we are probably moving in 2-3 years.

Now, who ever buys from us will get a hell of a return (and it will boost our selling profile when the time comes).

I'd say that if we look to build or do a major renovation on the next place, I'd do it in a heartbeat, buy if you don't plan on being in the place for 10 years or more (or the electric prices climb), it doesn't make a ton of sense yet.

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Heh... not really.

I mean, it definitely helps, it's cut our bill in half, and is great when the power drops (we have a 2x Tesla Wall).

...but, I wouldn't say it was the best financial decision.
I recently finished installing a solar panel system which produces a lot less power than yours. I did it because I wanted to see how I would be able to use the electricity. I am retired and have enough savings so that I haven't been concerned about whether it was worth it. I did it as a hobby because I wanted to see what I could do.
My system generates an average of about 1000 watts a day which is enough to charge an electric vehicle in a few days. I don't drive much so I'm hoping to be able to do most of my driving using solar energy.
Sponsored