First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I budgeted 100K for the R1S out the door so even with this expected delivery charge, tax and registration, looks like I am still able to put some nickels back in my pocket.

Tax credits would just be a windfall, not something I put in the budget as who know where that will end up being if anything at all.

Still seems like very good bargain for what is being delivered. Very promising to see all of these reviews, especially with people admitting they went in with very high expectations and they were still exceeded....

We will all know sOOn

Definition of soon: without undue time lapse : BEFORE LONG (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Definition of sOOn: some undetermined period of time beyond now (Gleaned from Rivian Website)
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I don't know any specifics, but having read some other articles that were shared here it sounds like the issue with factory pick up is a legislative one with the state of Illinois and not a logistical one.
Hoping it gets thrown out next month. I plan on asking about it when I go down Thursday.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Hoping it gets thrown out next month. I plan on asking about it when I go down Thursday.
Are you talking about the legislation in Illinois that prevents direct to consumer sales for Rivian (being thrown out)? If so, I'd be very interested to hear the response. As someone living in a state with a direct sales ban that isn't going anywhere, I'd jump at the chance for a factory pickup.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Are you talking about the legislation in Illinois that prevents direct to consumer sales for Rivian (being thrown out)? If so, I'd be very interested to hear the response. As someone living in a state with a direct sales ban that isn't going anywhere, I'd jump at the chance for a factory pickup.
Yeah, the state said it was fine for Rivian to sell, then the dealership association brought up a lawsuit against rivian and the state. Has an October date, don't remember the day.

So IL is a bit different, where the state is good with it, but the scummy dealerships aren't. Would just require legislation to fix if the court rules for the dealerships.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yeah, the state said it was fine for Rivian to sell, then the dealership association brought up a lawsuit against rivian and the state. Has an October date, don't remember the day.

So IL is a bit different, where the state is good with it, but the scummy dealerships aren't. Would just require legislation to fix if the court rules for the dealerships.
That's what I thought I had read elsewhere. And didn't they make some exception but only for Tesla several years ago that the dealers are using to try and prevent Rivian from direct sales?

If that is defeated I think it opens the door for factory pickup, but I would bet that they will still limit it to people within a certain radius of a service center at first, until their mobile service teams are ready.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe they will, Id still prefer picking up in Normal sans any delivery fee but understand if that is logistically not possible.
And then you don't get the potential battery bump for being a bad owner and DCFC all the way home. (I kid.... kind of)

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just for comparison, the F150 has a delivery charge of $1695.

So $1075 isn't exactly high.

exprexxo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ F150, Tesla M3
Occupation
_____Architect
Delivery charges are one of the vestages of the dealer era. One hopes they go away as EV vendors get more data driven. I clearly would pay them 100 delivery charge to pick it up in Normal and save the world the cost of a transport and all the risk there. I can think of nothing more fun to do with a new rivian than a road trip right off the bat !!!!!!!!!!!!

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Maybe they will, Id still prefer picking up in Normal sans any delivery fee but understand if that is logistically not possible.
Keep in mind, the Transportation fee will apply, even from a factory delivery (as I understand it). It's a blanket fee applied to all trucks to offset the cost of delivery (peanut butter spread across all orders to account for those deliveries that cost $5k+ down to those that cost a couple hundred at the factory).

Sponsored

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Keep in mind, the Transportation fee will apply, even from a factory delivery (as I understand it). It's a blanket fee applied to all trucks to offset the cost of delivery (peanut butter spread across all orders to account for those deliveries that cost $5k+ down to those that cost a couple hundred at the factory).
I wish they'd just include it in the price of the truck. They want to buck the dealer network paradigm, then they should fully-rethink the whole process, for the better, imo.

It's the "cable company" or "cell phone carrier" problem, in my mind. Check out our great $19.99 service (plus franchise fee, sports package fee, delivery fee, etc).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Some manufacturers charge extra for factory delivery - particularly if it includes an "experience" like playing on the Rivian test track and off-road course.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs