Sponsored

Off-Road Upgrade or Not?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Keep in mind, it will be much easier for us or future owners down the road to add offroad wheels and tires than it will be to add the offroad protection package after delivery.
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's a fair point, but the key difference is that we are not comparing the off-road package vs. no protection at all. We are comparing it to the standard underbody protection, which in Rivian's own words is designed for protection under extreme off-road conditions.
The Teslas have fairly robust underbody protection for battery pack protection, but we still hear the rare occasional stories about battery pack punctures. In my opnion, any extra underbody protection for EVs is good regardless if a customer offroads their EV or not. I've seen some national forest service roads that have rocks on the road that definitely will dent or puncture standard battery pack shielding

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The Teslas have fairly robust underbody protection for battery pack protection, but we still hear the rare occasional stories about battery pack punctures. In my opnion, any extra underbody protection for EVs is good regardless if a customer offroads their EV or not. I've seen some national forest service roads that have rocks on the road that definitely will dent or puncture standard battery pack shielding
Teslas weren't meant to be taken off-road (despite Elon's best attempts to classify the Model Y as an off-road beast). I would be surprised if Rivian's standard underbody protection wasn't significantly better than Tesla's, just by virtue of the fact that it is being marketed as an off-road capable vehicle.

Extra protection is perhaps objectively better, but there is also a case to be made for "objectively enough". The extra $2k is more a peace of mind payment as far as I'm concerned, and that's totally a valid reason to get it too.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Agreed.
What about adding 3rd party tow hooks down the road?
Yea I'm interested in this.
Considering how good the under-body protection is claimed to be without getting the off-road upgrade, I really just want the tow hooks.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That's a fair point, but the key difference is that we are not comparing the off-road package vs. no protection at all. We are comparing it to the standard underbody protection, which in Rivian's own words is designed for protection under extreme off-road conditions.
That may be the case, but as they explained it there, the standard armor is designed specifically to protect the battery, the optional package provides more complete coverage, including secondary shielding for the battery.

Maybe it's needed, maybe it'll never come in to play, but if it saves me once, I will be thankful I got it. If it never take a hit, at least it will look better after it goes to the Smithsonian, or Petersen's Automotive Museum.

"Delusional much?" ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yea I'm interested in this.
Considering how good the under-body protection is claimed to be without getting the off-road upgrade, I really just want the tow hooks.
Speaking of tow hooks, I'd sure love to have a set on the back of the Rivian. If I'm going forward and get stuck, my front hooks may do me no good. I'd like there to be hooks on the back end, so friends can pull me back out of whatever stupid situation I got myself into, all the while laughing at me, as they're holding my beer.... ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Speaking of tow hooks, I'd sure love to have a set on the back of the Rivian. If I'm going forward and get stuck, my front hooks may do me no good. I'd like there to be hooks on the back end, so friends can pull me back out of whatever stupid situation I got myself into, all the while laughing at me, as they're holding my beer.... ?
This would solve the rear shackle if needed.

Amazon.com: TOPTOW Trailer Hitch Recovery Shackle Hitch (Capacity 10000lbs) fits for 2 inch Receiver 360 Rotate, with 3/4 inch Swivel D-Shackle Hitch : Automotive

Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 1630351928469

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I believe that's called a hitch. ;)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 1630353726185

The Offroad recovery kit (which could most likely be sourced separately for a lot cheaper. $600? really?) has a d-ring shackle that's to be mounted on the hitch receiver.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The Offroad recovery kit (which could most likely be sourced separately for a lot cheaper. $600? really?) has a d-ring shackle that's to be mounted on the hitch receiver.
FWIW I attempted to do just that with, what I believe to be, the same components and I wasn't much shy of $600...
Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 1630354785331

And this is without gloves.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

FWIW I attempted to do just that with, what I believe to be, the same components and I wasn't much shy of $600...
Their pricing is pretty close to buying those exact things individually for any options I've looked up. The Tent option is the exact same price you'd pay for the non-rivian branded one.

There's just a lot of other choices for this sort of a thing. I already have most of the kit pieces from just needing them over the years. If you've never been offroading nor lived somewhere having a strap and stuff would be useful as a truck owner, it's probably worth getting, but I might not order that stuff with the truck if the reported MSRP goes up, since registration in my state is based off it.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, that's way more than I was expecting, just doing a quick peruse on Amazon. I'd figured $200 seemed reasonable without having to buy any of the gear that was suspiciously inexpensive. I guess this just goes to show I have no idea, and don't even know the value of going with a reputable brand, or if they're really worth it or not. Guessing this is a whole can of worms I wasn't realizing I was opening!

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Any word on the integrated winch??

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Wow, that's way more than I was expecting, just doing a quick peruse on Amazon. I'd figured $200 seemed reasonable without having to buy any of the gear that was suspiciously inexpensive. I guess this just goes to show I have no idea, and don't even know the value of going with a reputable brand, or if they're really worth it or not. Guessing this is a whole can of worms I wasn't realizing I was opening!
Same. Until I looked into it, I was 100% against it based on the price. But I have seen, and @Dark-Fx mentioned, all of the Rivian-sourced Adventure Gear seems to be on par with retail prices for the same components. And the Rivian warranty covers all Adventure Gear, so that helps take the sting out a bit...
Sponsored