First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I saw an interview earlier which I believe clears this up (check out TeslaRaj's interview he did back at the beginning of 2020 with one of the engineers).
The battery protection is the same on all the vehicles. The extra protection with the $2,000 package is FORE AND AFT of the battery!
Well we have to be a little careful hereā€¦. Until a few months ago (I donā€™t remember the exact date because I never considered dropping it). The off road full coverage protection was a standard item. They dropped the full under body coverage (they also dropped the price by $2000) and then added the full protection package back with a $2000 price tag.
So the interview in early 2000 would have been with the full coverage as a standard installation.
This doesnā€™t mean the battery protection now isnā€™t ā€œgood enoughā€ but it is not the same thing that they were putting on all the trucks a year ago.
Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't believe range will be impacted much at all, and I'm 100% confident it will not affect range in a material way. In fact, I'm wondering if the full coverage might aid aero enough to offset any range impact at all due to weight.
Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 0EFE3B54-7066-4806-8F33-01E0A2F659E1

The website says rather directly that the off-road upgrade will impact range in a material way. Do you have other info? I guess we will see the numbers when the release them.

Iā€™ve gone back and forth on the off-road upgrade, mostly because I donā€™t think I will use the truck in enough situations where the potential hit to the range will be outweighed.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
0EFE3B54-7066-4806-8F33-01E0A2F659E1.jpeg

The website says rather directly that the off-road upgrade will impact range in a material way. Do you have other info? I guess we will see the numbers when the release them.

Iā€™ve gone back and forth on the off-road upgrade, mostly because I donā€™t think I will use the truck in enough situations where the potential hit to the range will be outweighed.
It does say it could effect it, does not say negatively or positively. It is just listing things that can affect it. For instance you know going with the 21s instead of the 20s it should be a positive impact

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I have the off road upgrade still on my configuration.

I took this picture back at the SF event last year If people were interested in the rear tow hooks.

not sure if this is standard or an upgrade.

Rivian R1T R1S Off-Road Upgrade or Not? 1630643970978

It was on the R1T.

back then the off-road upgrade was included.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have the off road upgrade still on my configuration.

I took this picture back at the SF event last year If people were interested in the rear tow hooks.

not sure if this is standard or an upgrade.

1630643970978.jpeg

It was on the R1T.

back then the off-road upgrade was included.
This was an older prototype. The newer ones do not have the tow hooks like this.

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I simply change my color from Rivian blue to LA Silver then added back the off-road package. Boom, saved $500.

Seriously, I currently don't have plans for any off road driving, but plans can change so it's best to be prepared. Plus, I think it will add to the resale value if it ever comes to that.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Do we think there will be any way to tow charge a Rivian without the off-road package? Tow charging is a cool feature that shouldn't necessarily be tied to off-road abilities.

Reactions: Max

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Do we think there will be any way to tow charge a Rivian without the off-road package? Tow charging is a cool feature that shouldn't necessarily be tied to off-road abilities.
I think the only issue is having a way to attach the front of the Rivian to the back of the towing vehicle. There should be something available for pulling the vehicle onto a flat bed truck, even if a removable piece that screws into the frame. If a screw in attachment is the only option youā€˜d probably have to tow in a straight line using that or risk snapping it off, though.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I simply change my color from Rivian blue to LA Silver then added back the off-road package. Boom, saved $500.

Seriously, I currently don't have plans for any off road driving, but plans can change so it's best to be prepared. Plus, I think it will add to the resale value if it ever comes to that.
This is the question for me. Will it increase my resale value. And now with delivery estimates, will it impact delivery timing. Every single delivered vehicle I have looked up on Twitter has the off road package. Could be coincidence. I looked at the poll, given the volume of data it is hard to say for sure.
Sponsored