Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I actually disagree. Not to be a turd, but if you put a bill in the mail, most locations (all in the U.S.?) use the date it was postmarked, not the date it was received.
So by this logic, you'd be ok with your pizza being considered "delivered" right after it leaves the store, even if the pizza guy drives it around town, goes to a movie, stops by his girlfriends house, and then gets it to your door 5 hours later?

Or if Amazon told you your package was delivered, right after they've packed the box but it's still sitting in a semi at the distribution center?

I know you're just trying to make a point, but the definition of delivery is generally considered as when the item is received by the expecting party. If Rivian plans on playing games like that, I'd be unhappy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
So by this logic, you'd be ok with your pizza being considered "delivered" right after it leaves the store, even if the pizza guy drives it around town, goes to a movie, stops by his girlfriends house, and then gets it to your door 5 hours later?

Or if Amazon told you your package was delivered, right after they've packed the box but it's still sitting in a semi at the distribution center?

I know you're just trying to make a point, but the definition of delivery is generally considered as when the item is received by the expecting party. If they Rivian plans on playing games like that, I'd be unhappy.
I agree with both perspectives.

1. "delivered" when just left the factory => message for investors who are more interested in overall production numbers.
2. "delivered" when actually gets to customers => message for the actual customers who are interested in their actual vehicle.

It would be a pretty big comms fail if they use 1. to talk to us, the customers. We saw that approach being used for vaccines too (anyone remember doses delivered vs. administered?) and there's a definite optics angle to the whole thing.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
1. "delivered" when just left the factory => message for investors who are more interested in overall production numbers.
Your #1 is shipped, not delivered.

Standard inventory, shipping, and accounting principles delineate between shipped & delivered.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I don't know why everyone is arguing about this. Delivery as it refers at least to the car industry is when the title changes hands to the owner. So it is only considered delivered once paperwork has been signed and you legally own the vehicle.

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
I don't know why everyone is arguing about this. Delivery as it refers at least to the car industry is when the title changes hands to the owner. So it is only considered delivered once paperwork has been signed and you legally own the vehicle.
Yeah I agree. And I think manufacturers push it even farther and count delivery as when dealers commit to inventory

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Your #1 is shipped, not delivered.

Standard inventory, shipping, and accounting principles delineate between shipped & delivered.
That's fair enough. Tbh I'm just playing a bit of devil's advocate and I can see why in the face of all these delays Rivian might be tempted to use their "shipped" date as a big milestone to conflate with actual deliveries. Not saying that's right at all, but just saying I can see why they might want to lean on that as a crutch to use an earlier date to report something.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I know you're just trying to make a point, but the definition of delivery is generally considered as when the item is received by the expecting party. If Rivian plans on playing games like that, I'd be unhappy.
Deliveries starting vs something being delivered are two different. Things. In most jurisdictions, a bill is based on your postmark date. And yes, I'm making a point. It's semantics, but I think Rivian saying deliveries begin in July and then having them actually delivered in August is reasonable. If the vehicles took 4 months to get to a consumer after starting transit, that's an entirely different discuss.

All that being said, I doubt there will be that much uncertainty when they time comes to get vehicles out the door.

Also, sorry. Didn't mean to set of a shit storm over some semantics.

Last edited:

Ron S

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 Turbo, Tesla Model Long Range, Jaguar XK8
Clubs

I'm Blue/Black LE from as soon as Rivian opened the configurator. I preordered in December 2019, I live under an hour from Rivian's Plymouth facility. I haven't heard from a guide at all yet.

I've worked in practically every department related to automotive assembly. Maybe when I do finally get contact with my guide, I'll offer to build my own truck during third shift.
I signed up 11/26/2018. Blue/black/20"/California Bay Area/No word/Frustrated...hoping to be excited with good news soon....

Reactions: Rad

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Obviously the number of Contacts will increase. I think 2023 is probably way too long but It is possible that the number of LE Deposits are much lower than we think. I thought originally there were maybe 9,000 LE Deposits(5,500+ 3,500 RIS). What if the number is only 6,000 combined? That would certainly allow RIVIAN to finish LE Orders closer to the original timeline( whatever that was). No one knows how many Reservations were taken or what percentage of those were converted to LE.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I mean yeah, you can get all kinds of forecasts if you pull numbers out of your ass.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
This is NOT how product launches and ramps work. They scale up as they start building. You crawl, then walk, before you run.
Agreed. I think there would be no problem with the ramp if there was more transparency. An opportunity to be exposed to “the plan”, even with the caveat that things may change, would go a long way In helping to quell the speculation that pops up in a vacuum. Just my .02