Clubs

Took my fob into the truck to update it and the update fob option is gone
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I’ve never carried the fob. My phone works fine but is slow to unlock. Is the fob paak faster?
I've never used PaaK, so I don't have a point of comparison. But with the fob it unlocks when I'm about 15 feet away and it's open by the time I get there. And it locks when I'm maybe 20 feet away. This is outdoors.

Indoors, in my garage, my door is about 8 feet from my truck, and I find that the fob never locks/unlocks when I'm inside the house - but as soon as I step inside the house I hear the birdie when the doors lock, and as soon as I open the door to get into the garage I hear a click and the truck starts to open.

I keep my fob in a drawer about 30 feet away from the truck, and watching the app I have not seen the truck lock or unlock all day. And the truck does go to sleep, so it's not getting pings from the fob.

Again, I've just had 1 day of experience with this, but it seems to work well. I would say I like it a lot better than the fob on my Honda, which only unlocks, and only after you tug on the handle in most cases.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Got my truck updated. The option to update the fob came up. Based on others saying the option disappeared, I went to the truck ready with the fob to update it. The option was there. Tried 3-4 times to update and it said unsuccessful each time. I left the truck on and went inside and grabbed by other fob and when I got back, the option was gone. I did go thought the settings and turned on proximity unlock/lock for both fobs and it seems to be working. It never asked to update the second fob. In any case, happy to finally have this ability like just about every other new car with a key fob. I'm one that leaves my phone in the car. I'm in and out 10 times a day and don't take it with me every time I get out. Key fob is always in my pocket, so I will certainly appreciate this feature most.

Don't know if the fobs actually updated or not? I know the delay in enabling this feature was because it was killing the fob battery very quickly. I guess we'll now find out if this is an issue?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well...it's doing something adaptive (or at least predictive). I drove regularly (twice a week) on the same route to and from my eye doctor (for about 6 weeks). Just for the heck of it, I would route it on the Rivian (mostly to compare times, as those varied with traffic flow).

Randomly one day, it told me to exit at a really weird spot a couple of miles back from my normal interchange exit to a different road. This was not the route originally displayed. I thought "What the hell, why not?" and got off. As soon as I did, both the road and the access road went over a low rise...and the traffic on the main road was at a complete stop. Two quick traffic lights later, I re-entered the main road ahead of about a mile and a half of stopped cars. I was impressed.

I read all the time about people saying how crappy the nav system is. I haven't seen that. It has appropriately taken me to small random bypass loops (that I already knew about) and I've found both the timing and ending range estimate to be very accurate (these are trips of 30 to 125 miles).

If I plot the start and finish and get off en route somewhere for a quick errand just off the main route, it directs me back onto the original route very precisely and appropriately (including circuitous paths through shopping center parking lots).

It does seem to take an inordinately long time to originally figure out a relatively simple route (like 32 miles ...get on interstate once, get off once), but the adjustments along the way are really fast.

I am not being "zealous fanboi" here...I just haven't experienced a lot of what some people bitch about continuously.
I think you’re confusing terms. What you describe is NOT adaptive routing. It isn’t “learning” your routes or preferences. the scenario you describe is simply traffic-aware routing.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
What you describe is NOT adaptive routing. It isn’t “learning” your routes or preferences. the scenario you describe is simply traffic-aware routing.
Call it what you want. You were the one who applied "terms" to the experiences that I described (and then said it "didn't fit" those terms).

Revising a route in mid-travel to adjust for a temporary traffic event sounds pretty adaptive to me.

As for "deciding" to direct me to a HOV lane than I had previously used (after previously routing me around said HOV lane) sounds "predictive" as well.

I'm not "claiming" that anything exists, I only reported my experiences.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OK, actually read through all 7 pages. My highest excitement for this update is the passive key fob. I see many saying they're trying to update their fobs. Has anyone actually been able to see if the key fob now automatically locks / unlocks the door based on proximity without having to push the buttons??

Like others, my truck just showed update available. I have to leave in 30 minutes so have to wait to install it. No notification on my phone that an update is available.
Got my truck updated. The option to update the fob came up. Based on others saying the option disappeared, I went to the truck ready with the fob to update it. The option was there. Tried 3-4 times to update and it said unsuccessful each time. I left the truck on and went inside and grabbed by other fob and when I got back, the option was gone. I did go thought the settings and turned on proximity unlock/lock for both fobs and it seems to be working. It never asked to update the second fob. In any case, happy to finally have this ability like just about every other new car with a key fob. I'm one that leaves my phone in the car. I'm in and out 10 times a day and don't take it with me every time I get out. Key fob is always in my pocket, so I will certainly appreciate this feature most.

Don't know if the fobs actually updated or not? I know the delay in enabling this feature was because it was killing the fob battery very quickly. I guess we'll now find out if this is an issue?
I rebooted the truck after trying a few times and getting this message. After reboot I went back into the software update menu and did the update again, it went through that time. The passive lock/unlock happens at a much greater range than my phone key lock does. We just got about a foot of snow overnight so I haven't done a real test with it yet.

You have to go into settings and enable proximity locking for the fob.
Rivian R1T R1S 2023.6.2 OTA Update Released to Public PXL_20230303_225342771

Last edited:

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mine told me there was an update for fob but didn’t have it on me…I got home and brought out fob and update disappeared, so system detected it was already up to date? Maybe this was just for people that had issue updating last update.
I think you're right. I had previously updated the fob with the prior OTA, but didn't have it with me when I did this latest OTA. I too got a message that I needed to update my fob...and that message had disappeared when I went to do that (a day later) and returned with the fob. I suspect that the truck just had to "communicate" with the fob to determine "we're all good here".

The proximity lock option for the fob appears in my settings screen, and...as far as I know, it all works properly (I keep proximity off at home).

Just my 2 cents here...I plan to keep fob proximity OFF for the most part. Unless I drop my phone in a toilet or something, I don't plan to use it except for valet parking. Most people are familiar with the concept of pushing buttons on fobs, and I see no reason to add any unpredictability to the mix...and it will pretty much ensure that I never get in the Rivian and drive off with my phone left behind at home or elsewhere (since it would remain locked).

What happens when you have fob proximity ON and leave the fob in the console and then walk away with your active PAAK?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What happens when you have fob proximity ON and leave the fob in the console and then walk away with your active PAAK?
Most people aren't going to take it out of their pocket or purse if it works with proximity, but they definitely could be making consideration on when to lock based on occupancy sensors.

The Polestar will disable any fobs left inside the vehicle when locked from outside, but it doesn't support proximity lock/unlock, you have to use the capacitive sensors on the door handles.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Call it what you want. You were the one who applied "terms" to the experiences that I described (and then said it "didn't fit" those terms).

Revising a route in mid-travel to adjust for a temporary traffic event sounds pretty adaptive to me.

As for "deciding" to direct me to a HOV lane than I had previously used (after previously routing me around said HOV lane) sounds "predictive" as well.

I'm not "claiming" that anything exists, I only reported my experiences.
Um what? I went back and skimmed the posts and you initially claimed the Rivian nav was learning the routes you drove. That is false. Period. I’m not making up terms.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Most people aren't going to take it out of their pocket or purse if it works with proximity, but they definitely could be making consideration on when to lock based on occupancy sensors.
I already carry more "stuff" in my pockets than I want to carry. I was more thinking of what would happen if it were put in the console (for instance) so that it would be in the vehicle if/when needed (unexpected diversion to someplace with a valet, for instance). Mine otherwise hangs on the key rack at home.

I was really just asking out of curiosity. If I get curious enough to go test it, I'll post.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Um what? I went back and skimmed the posts and you initially claimed the Rivian nav was learning the routes you drove. That is false. Period. I’m not making up terms.
I didn't lie...I reported an event that occurred to me (and actually said that I found it spooky).
Is the purpose of a forum to share experience or is it to rip someone you don't agree with on a given topic?