First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Similar post is buried in one of the numerous vampire drain threads but it was suggested that this may merit a fresh thread so here goes...

I, like many have experienced pretty nasty vampire drain on my truck since taking delivery at the end of November. Initially I didn't think much of it and was just thrilled to have such a great vehicle but the longer I had it, the longer it bugged me. So I started watching things like how often the truck was already awake when I would open the app (pretty much every time). How often it was on the network (almost all the time). What was it doing on the network (periodically sending data to AWS).

The truck was on the network quite often but wasn't really sending much data (20MB or so at a time) and just about the time I thought it was going to go to sleep, it would send another chunk of logs. So I started believing that something was keeping the truck awake and started to look for sources. The best known of these sources that is well documented is the now famous frunk latch error documented on Reddit. Because I didn't have any plans to drive the truck for a few days I decided to start some experimenting with the frunk area, particularly around the latch. First I tried adjusting the loop that is connected to the hood to see if that made any change. That actually seemed to make it somewhat worse but was pretty close to statistically insignificant.

Next I tried removing the trim from the front of the frunk. Pics below for clarification on which trim piece I'm referring to. Within hours it was clear that my truck was going to sleep more often and staying asleep for longer periods of time. Prior to removing the trim piece I was losing 4-7% per day and after removing the trim piece I was seeing 1-2% per day loss and even 12 hour periods where I would lose 0% and in one 12 hour period I gained a percentage point. After 4-5 days I stopped monitoring the drain closely and just left the piece off. After seeing these results, I also reached out to @shrink who was reporting similar loss to what I had seen. It appears at least initially to have made a difference for him as well.

Removing the trim piece is easy and doesn't appear to have any effect on drivability or functionality. Simply pull up gently on the 5 clips that hold the trim piece in and lift slowly from the middle. There are tabs on each side that slide under the adjacent trim pieces but it all comes out fairly easily. Pics below of the trim piece. The piece is sitting across my frunk upside down as though I had pulled it straight off and rotated 180 degrees.

Please keep in mind that I did not get approval from Rivian to do this and I take no responsibility for any issues that may come up related to this mod. I put my trim piece back in yesterday as I dropped off my truck at the SC for other issues this morning. My hope is that the upcoming firmware release and it's frunk fix address the issue and I don't have to think about this again. As always, YM/kwMV and happy drain hunting to all.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % IMG_0446
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wonder if there is a difference here between the trucks with magnet vs the ones with clips.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
interesting. when did they switch from magnets?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Interesting...mine has a weird issue where at random times....completely spread out by even weeks at a time...it randomly opens without command, when parked (at least so far...gunna be interesting if it happens when driving that is for sure).

It has happened about 5 times now.

I am now associating when it happens wit certain things to assist troubleshooting. Like for now...only opening and closing with phone remote command....see if it ever happens if that is only way I do it. Then if that works for a while...move to bumper hard switch only....etc...

Tech said when he pulled logs, just saw one incedence of it indicating error as not going to sleep or something like that.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Nice sleuthing. Were your tests performed :
In the garage?
At what ambient temperatures?
Plugged into a home charger or unplugged?

thanks!

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Similar post is buried in one of the numerous vampire drain threads but it was suggested that this may merit a fresh thread so here goes...

I, like many have experienced pretty nasty vampire drain on my truck since taking delivery at the end of November. Initially I didn't think much of it and was just thrilled to have such a great vehicle but the longer I had it, the longer it bugged me. So I started watching things like how often the truck was already awake when I would open the app (pretty much every time). How often it was on the network (almost all the time). What was it doing on the network (periodically sending data to AWS).

The truck was on the network quite often but wasn't really sending much data (20MB or so at a time) and just about the time I thought it was going to go to sleep, it would send another chunk of logs. So I started believing that something was keeping the truck awake and started to look for sources. The best known of these sources that is well documented is the now famous frunk latch error documented on Reddit. Because I didn't have any plans to drive the truck for a few days I decided to start some experimenting with the frunk area, particularly around the latch. First I tried adjusting the loop that is connected to the hood to see if that made any change. That actually seemed to make it somewhat worse but was pretty close to statistically insignificant.

Next I tried removing the trim from the front of the frunk. Pics below for clarification on which trim piece I'm referring to. Within hours it was clear that my truck was going to sleep more often and staying asleep for longer periods of time. Prior to removing the trim piece I was losing 4-7% per day and after removing the trim piece I was seeing 1-2% per day loss and even 12 hour periods where I would lose 0% and in one 12 hour period I gained a percentage point. After 4-5 days I stopped monitoring the drain closely and just left the piece off. After seeing these results, I also reached out to @shrink who was reporting similar loss to what I had seen. It appears at least initially to have made a difference for him as well.

Removing the trim piece is easy and doesn't appear to have any effect on drivability or functionality. Simply pull up gently on the 5 clips that hold the trim piece in and lift slowly from the middle. There are tabs on each side that slide under the adjacent trim pieces but it all comes out fairly easily. Pics below of the trim piece. The piece is sitting across my frunk upside down as though I had pulled it straight off and rotated 180 degrees.

Please keep in mind that I did not get approval from Rivian to do this and I take no responsibility for any issues that may come up related to this mod. I put my trim piece back in yesterday as I dropped off my truck at the SC for other issues this morning. My hope is that the upcoming firmware release and it's frunk fix address the issue and I don't have to think about this again. As always, YM/kwMV and happy drain hunting to all.

IMG_0446.jpg
What’s your hypothesis on why this works? What’s it doing that results in such a difference?

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
What’s your hypothesis on why this works? What’s it doing that results in such a difference?
I'm not sure I would go so far as hypothesis but it may be the rather narrow opening for loop going into the latch causing interference or additional pressure on the latch. Honestly I had zero expectations when I took the trim piece off in the first place and really only initially took it off to see if there was an easy way to adjust the latch. Once I decided I didn't want to take a risk on adjusting the latch I left it off for giggles. I was as surprised as anyone that it made a difference.

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Nice sleuthing. Were your tests performed :
In the garage?
At what ambient temperatures?
Plugged into a home charger or unplugged?

thanks!
Always in the driveway, always unplugged from charger, temp ranges 30s-50s.

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
This seems like it would align with the feature in the 2023.2 build coming that said something about changing the frunk latch check to help the vehicle go to sleep.

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I'm not sure I would go so far as hypothesis but it may be the rather narrow opening for loop going into the latch causing interference or additional pressure on the latch. Honestly I had zero expectations when I took the trim piece off in the first place and really only initially took it off to see if there was an easy way to adjust the latch. Once I decided I didn't want to take a risk on adjusting the latch I left it off for giggles. I was as surprised as anyone that it made a difference.
I always assumed that vampire drain was an across the board thing for EV's. So I was surprised to read recently that most EV's don't have it. It would be a great gift to humanity if you figured out how to beat the vampire! Would you like your bust in marble or bronze?

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
I always assumed that vampire drain was an across the board thing for EV's. So I was surprised to read recently that most EV's don't have it. It would be a great gift to humanity if you figured out how to beat the vampire! Would you like your bust in marble or bronze?
The respect and admiration of my people is all I require!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I had some very impressive results with removing this trim piece and will post more details in a separate post after work today.

The TLDR version is:

With trim piece installed overnight from 1/29 to 1/30/2023:
- lost 3% SOC overnight and 7 miles of rated range

With trim piece removed from 1/30 to 1/31/2023
- no overnight loss in SOC or rated range

More details and more testing to come.

All hail @jpa5635!

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

My Mach-e only drained < 1% per week. However, there are downsides to Ford's implementation such as the fact that it relies on text messages (yes, actually SMS) to wake up the vehicle once asleep. In practice this adds up to 30 seconds or so sometimes to responses to commands (remote start etc.) vs. much faster response from our R1T. All in I'd rather the lower drain though so appreciate this tip @jpa5635!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
This is an awesome find @jpa5635 !!

I'll probably pull my trim tonight or tomorrow and report back. I have been losing 5mi/day with gear guard off and no PAAK option.

Great job!!
Sponsored