Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
My Mach-e only drained < 1% per week. However, there are downsides to Ford's implementation such as the fact that it relies on text messages (yes, actually SMS) to wake up the vehicle once asleep. In practice this adds up to 30 seconds or so sometimes to responses to commands (remote start etc.) vs. much faster response from our R1T. All in I'd rather the lower drain though so appreciate this tip @jpa5635!
THat's not as crazy as it sounds. SMS messages travel on the cellular control channel instead of the data channel, so they use a lot less power to receive.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
What software are you using to measure where and when the vehicle is sending data?
I've used various tools, primarily I was monitoring the mac address table in my switch to see if it was active on the network and if so I would check an ntopng instance I have installed on my router to see what hosts it was sending data to and how much data it was sending.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Forgive me for being dumb here.... but how/why does removing this piece of plastic trim in the frunk stop vampire drain??? (and I should say, I haven't really notice any drain from my R1T since I got it in December).

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Forgive me for being dumb here.... but how/why does removing this piece of plastic trim in the frunk stop vampire drain??? (and I should say, I haven't really notice any drain from my R1T since I got it in December).

Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I've used various tools, primarily I was monitoring the mac address table in my switch to see if it was active on the network and if so I would check an ntopng instance I have installed on my router to see what hosts it was sending data to and how much data it was sending.
Interesting. On my router the Rivian TCM shows up as “u-block AG” manufactured by the same. Clearly not private labeled. Time to do some activity snooping.

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Interesting. On my router the Rivian TCM shows up as “u-block AG” manufactured by the same. Clearly not private labeled. Time to do some activity snooping.
Yes, that's the vendor OUI for the manufacturer of the wifi adapter being used by Rivian. Coincidentally, my EA home charger uses the same vendor. The traffic from the truck isn't really interesting as it's all TLS encrypted https. Most of the data is sent to a host named something like tsync.rivianservices.com. It also reaches out to a host named ota and will periodically reach out to spotify even if you aren't logged in to spotify. There are a couple others I can't recall off the top of my head.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

THat's not as crazy as it sounds. SMS messages travel on the cellular control channel instead of the data channel, so they use a lot less power to receive.
Fascinating! Thanks for that detail - I had no idea. Guess as long as you're comfortable with the delay it's a smart call.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

This was from the past hour with everything off, paak, gear guard, app exited from phone, not charging.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % 83E1B304-E580-4BD8-827A-B4EB439A93ED

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
This was from the past hour with everything off, paak, gear guard, app exited from phone, not c
This was from the past hour with everything off, paak, gear guard, app exited from phone, not charging.

83E1B304-E580-4BD8-827A-B4EB439A93ED.png
Those hosts look familiar. Here's a screenshot I took a few weeks ago of the applications in use:

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % 1675219782609

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

83E1B304-E580-4BD8-827A-B4EB439A93ED.png
THe truck is "turned off" and spent 22 minutes communicating to Spotify? That's ridiculous.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I just exited Spotify on my phone. Will see if that changes things.

I’ve heard Spotify play through the Rivian when I’m already in the house with doors locked.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

So @jpa5635 , should we call you “Blade”, “Daywalker”, or would you prefer “Whistler”?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had some very impressive results with removing this trim piece and will post more details in a separate post after work today.

The TLDR version is:

With trim piece installed overnight from 1/29 to 1/30/2023:
- lost 3% SOC overnight and 7 miles of rated range

With trim piece removed from 1/30 to 1/31/2023
- no overnight loss in SOC or rated range

More details and more testing to come.

All hail @jpa5635!
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % 1675225457865

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Man... Really want to tear off the trim piece on mine, but I know the day after I do (and break something) the Ota will come out that fixes this!
Sponsored