Sponsored

Had my First Drive... very impressed, but will now almost certainly cancel my pre-order.

graemebshaw

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Consultant and investor
About a month ago I got to see and drive the R1T for the first time, and was super impressed with the entire package. It is beautiful piece of technology and I am sure many people will make many happy memories with the vehicle. However, the experience helped cement my opinion that the R1T doesn't quite fit my needs/use case, for two reasons:

The first reason is the least significant, but perhaps the most surprising. As I said, I think the R1T is a wonderful piece of technology. But it didn't feel much like a machine – between the UI and the inherent nature of all EV's, its mechanical character felt hidden from me. It made me realize that EV's are perhaps destined to become disposable consumer products that people switch out every few years, like a new iPhone. People generally have very little emotional attachment to their *actual* phones, only to the content and apps on them. And I wonder if that is what it will be like in an EV world. Very different than how I feel about "Blubicon", my Jeep Rubicon 392, which is like a member of the family and will never be replaced.

The second reason is really the point for this post (to ask advice from current owners about snowy highway driving). I need a vehicle to comfortably and safely get me from NYC to the Adirondacks every weekend, which is a 240 mile 4-hour drive up I-87. Now, it seems like I-87 is frequently unplowed when I drive it (Fri night or Sat morning), and several stretches have high winds. The winter temp is often in the single digits or below. Over the past two years, I have had several butt-clenching moments when my vehicle started sliding at highway speeds. One time I got pushed sideways by the wind across two icy lanes, at 50 mph, and only just managed to catch it before hitting the curb. It's scary enough in an ICE SUV or the Jeep (with snow tires). The thought of such a slide in a 7000lb R1T (with more torque and less feedback) terrifies me. Surface streets don't scare me because the speeds are so manageable. But snowy/icy/windy highways... ugh.

So my question before I cancel the order is whether any of the Colorado owners have experience driving the R1T in terrible conditions on the highway? Does the extra weight/momentum help or hurt?

btw, if I do cancel, I would be happy to explore ways to pass on my pre-price-hike reservation to someone. Not sure if it is possible/allowed. But if so, it might save someone some money.
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Your first point is one that I've heard a mililon times from non-EV owners when they wanted to shit on Teslas back when they were new. After 4 years with my model 3, I can tell you for sure that is not a thing. Yeah, at first it feels like you're driving a cell phone, but there's still so much more to the vehicles than the UI. I've owned over 20 cars in my lifetime, most of which I've purchased new. I've had lots of "drivers cars" in my time (RX7s, Miatas, S2000, M3, etc) and I've never kept a car as long as I've kept my Tesla. I just LOVE driving it. I'm expecting the same feeling about the Rivian whenever I can get it, and my 3 will become my wife's, so it'll stay in the house.

To your second point, I can't really help. I never really do long drives on a regular occasion, so range has never been an issue for me.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I need a vehicle to comfortably and safely get me from NYC to the Adirondacks every weekend, which is a 240 mile 4-hour drive up I-87. Now, it seems like I-87 is frequently unplowed when I drive it (Fri night or Sat morning), and several stretches have high winds.
Max pack should do it. I would not expect that trip on the Large pack. Might be feasible if the roads are cleared in winter time, but if there is a snow storm, absolutely not enough range.

Of course if there are chargers on the route, it's doable with even the standard pack.

lunarbomb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Chevy Spark EV
To your first point, I agree with JGard18. Give EV an honest shot. I've also owned many driver oriented vehicles (53 last I counted). Almost all destined for some kind of motorsport. Also, I've been a long time anti-EV guy. If it wasn't converting explosions to forward motion, I didn't want any part of it. Well, all it took was a stupid little used 2016 Chevy Spark EV to convert me. I can't imagine how easily I would have been converted if a Rivian was my first EV. I'm currently selling all "performance" vehicles I own (including a JLU Rubicon), keeping the Spark and holding out for my Rivian... or a Santa Cruz EV for hopefully half the price if that happens before my number is called.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Your first point is one that I've heard a mililon times from non-EV owners when they wanted to shit on Teslas back when they were new. After 4 years with my model 3, I can tell you for sure that is not a thing. Yeah, at first it feels like you're driving a cell phone, but there's still so much more to the vehicles than the UI. I've owned over 20 cars in my lifetime, most of which I've purchased new. I've had lots of "drivers cars" in my time (RX7s, Miatas, S2000, M3, etc) and I've never kept a car as long as I've kept my Tesla. I just LOVE driving it. I'm expecting the same feeling about the Rivian whenever I can get it, and my 3 will become my wife's, so it'll stay in the house.

To your second point, I can't really help. I never really do long drives on a regular occasion, so range has never been an issue for me.
Totally agree. I’ve been driving a long time, and have always paid cash for used cars. As my resources grew, the used cars became nicer ( a couple of almost new Porsches, several high end BMWs, several mercedes) but they were always “interesting” cars which I flipped or passed down in the family after a couple of years.

Before my current daily driver (a 2015 Tesla Model S) I rarely kept a car more than two years. I’d only bought one new car in my life, a 2006 Honda Pilot as a family hauler and we still own that as well as the Tesla. My wife continues to swap cars every few years.

I was worried I’d miss the “driver’s car” aspect of my cars. the car before the Tesla was a Porsche 911S with a six speed and most of the goodies (bought it two years old, sold it for the exact same price three years later when I bought the Tesla)

The Tesla is the first car I’ve kept remotely this long, and it’s because it still puts a smile on my face.

Sponsored

cc4711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2018 Challenger Hellcat
But it didn't feel much like a machine – between the UI and the inherent nature of all EV's, its mechanical character felt hidden from me.
Totally fair.

But I am very surprised how much it DOES feel like a machine to me. To the point that I keep the music down so I CAN hear the suspension bits working and the whine of the motors, something that sounds as interesting to me as other high powered vehicles. To be honest this has been the most surprising thing about the ownership so far, how mechanical it does feel to me.

OP
OP

graemebshaw

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Consultant and investor
Max pack should do it. I would not expect that trip on the Large pack. Might be feasible if the roads are cleared in winter time, but if there is a snow storm, absolutely not enough range.

Of course if there are chargers on the route, it's doable with even the standard pack.
There is a charger in Albany, so range is less of a concern. It's the fact that I am usually always on the edge of traction, and I assume catching a high-speed slide is much difficult in a 7000lb truck compared to a 3600lb SUV (both with snow tires).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If you don't think the R1 has character you haven't ripped it around a corner or gone crazy driving it (Granted it was a test drive so I am sure you were tame) but I had my first mile person tell me to do whatever I want but they are not responsible for any tickets etc hahaha. It feels great and the character is best described below

Rivian R1T R1S Had my First Drive... very impressed, but will now almost certainly cancel my pre-order. 1654619952136

OP
OP

graemebshaw

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rubicon 392
Occupation
Consultant and investor
Totally fair.

But I am very surprised how much it DOES feel like a machine to me. To the point that I keep the music down so I CAN hear the suspension bits working and the whine of the motors, something that sounds as interesting to me as other high powered vehicles. To be honest this has been the most surprising thing about the ownership so far, how mechanical it does feel to me.
Thanks. This is good to know. Of course, I only got 30 minutes behind the wheel in Brooklyn traffic. So not a great sample size! And I notice you have a Hellcat... even noisier than my 392!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The second reason is an odd one, to me. We're getting an R1T in part because it will be very good in winter. Temperatures routinely in the negative double digits here. Biblical winds etc.
Four motors and high weight will help traction. Studded winter tires will make it unstoppable.

If you are having traction issues, it's your tires.

Sponsored

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
The first reason is the least significant, but perhaps the most surprising. As I said, I think the R1T is a wonderful piece of technology. But it didn't feel much like a machine – between the UI and the inherent nature of all EV's, its mechanical character felt hidden from me. It made me realize that EV's are perhaps destined to become disposable consumer products that people switch out every few years, like a new iPhone.
That's depends on how you treat electronic products. I'm cheap and tend to keep using my phone until it can't keep up with the update. And going from ICE to EV, it's expected that the mechanical part (engine sound) would go away.

One time I got pushed sideways by the wind across two icy lanes, at 50 mph, and only just managed to catch it before hitting the curb.
If it's purely cross wind pushing the vehicle side ways, then heavier and more aerodynamic vehicle would make it skid less. If it's at a turn and skid, then it depends on your speed vs weight/traction.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

To your first point, I agree with JGard18. Give EV an honest shot. I've also owned many driver oriented vehicles (53 last I counted). Almost all destined for some kind of motorsport. Also, I've been a long time anti-EV guy. If it wasn't converting explosions to forward motion, I didn't want any part of it. Well, all it took was a stupid little used 2016 Chevy Spark EV to convert me. I can't imagine how easily I would have been converted if a Rivian was my first EV. I'm currently selling all "performance" vehicles I own (including a JLU Rubicon), keeping the Spark and holding out for my Rivian... or a Santa Cruz EV for hopefully half the price if that happens before my number is called.
Hell yeah! I've also had several performance cars and decided I wanted to dabble in EVs almost 4 years ago. I looked at a few of the CA compliance cars like the Smart EV, Fiat 500e, and the Spark EV. I bought an off-lease Spark EV and did around 10k miles with it before the MINI Cooper SE came out. The Spark was hilariously fun around town...the MINI takes that to 11 as a fun to drive urban runabout and it'll pain me to sell it when the RIvian comes in. My MINI is almost more fun in the canyons than my Corvette, and does so in silence without anyone the wiser that it shreds so well. In my case, the Rivian will replace both my MINI EV and my off-road built 4Runner and allow me to drop a vehicle in the current fleet.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It depends on what you mean by a "machine"-like.

From my perspective, driving Model 3 is probably the best sedan I've driven in terms of directional change and transitions (especially coupled with Michelin PS4+) but it is bit boring, compared to driving a manual transmission 2 seater or even dual clutch paddle shifter.

It seems that all EVs focus too much on 0-60 or some acceleration figure of merit and not necessarily on overall sports driving aspects (e.g., driver feedback, braking, weight transfer and so on). The fact that most EVs have low cg helps the body roll and lateral handling transition but it can be so much better, if they worked on front-rear power bias for driving.

I am a big fan of how mid-engine vehicle drives and feels. I am hopeful that Porsche 718 EV will retain the feel of such (also Lotus too). The problem there is that it probably will show up after R2...

For your snow condition issue, Rivian's lower cg should help keep the vehicle more stable than significantly higher cg ICE anything truck. Equipped with proper snow tires, and using the new sand mode, or if they come out with snow mode, it definitely be better than just a Rubicon.

As for feeling like a member of your family, well, only you can answer that. For me, anything other than a collectable or iconic vehicle, its just a vehicle. And EVs are laptops with wheels... And your right, they are disposable devices.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I agree with the others - for point 2 the R1T should be safer, not less. 4 motor torque vectoring and stability control plus the weight will help immensely with something like cross-wind pushing you around. The R1T is also surprisingly low-profile for a truck of its size, if you're in the correct suspension setting. It can squat down lower than my Defender can, for example.

To me your #2 point is the reason to get the R1T, not cancel it.

I'd also agree with the other posters on point #1 - I've owned a few vehicles in my life and I haven't enjoyed anything like I do the R1T. It doesn't feel as 'machine' as some of my other vehicles have been, but that isn't a bad thing in my book. I also don't view it as a phone. It's a truck and I'm going to use it like one and love it like one.

Last edited:

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I didn't see many R1Ts here in CO this winter, but I will say I have been very impressed by the performance of my RWD ID.4 with snow tires. We are in the mountains every weekend regardless of weather, and it did very well. I got stuck in an unplowed steep parking lot once after a historic storm in Crested Butte last december... but other than that we never had a single scary slide or slip. It's got to be largely due to the weight. It has given me a lot of confidence in the performance of the Rivian when we take delivery.
Sponsored