First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Got the wiring redone, and reset the circuit... she powered on.

Gonna grab a laser temp gun so I can keep a closer eye on the sub panel where it shorted out to make sure it don't happen again.

Also turned the amps down to 32 at the charger.

Electrician asked me to open the sub panel after turning off the power tomorrow, and check the torque on the connections.
Sponsored

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S / White Model Y
Clubs

Charger installed! 8awg on a dual pole 50amp circuit.

Charged from 30% to 90% in roughly 6 hours. kW 59.5, cost $6.31
Can't believe how much more electricity costs in CA. Here are EV rates under PGE territory -- 16 million customers in CA fall under PGE territory.

You want to charge 59.5 kWh during peak time in summer? That'll cost you $39.27 for HOME L2 charging. Yes, our peak home charging rates in summer of 66 cents/kWh will often times be more expensive than many other states outside DCFC rates. Hell, even the lowest Off Peak hours of 34 cents/kWh cost more than some state's DCFC rates.

Just insane. Don't ever visit CA with an EV.

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 1708075658854

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Can't believe how much more electricity costs in CA. Here are EV rates under PGE territory -- 16 million customers in CA fall under PGE territory.

You want to charge 59.5 kWh during peak time in summer? That'll cost you $39.27 for HOME L2 charging. Yes, our peak home charging rates in summer of 66 cents/kWh will often times be more expensive than many other states outside DCFC rates. Hell, even the lowest Off Peak hours of 34 cents/kWh cost more than some state's DCFC rates.

Just insane. Don't ever visit CA with an EV.

1708075658854.png
Not meaning to rub salt in the wound here... But my math was off..

I pay $0.0995 per kWh.. So its actually $5.92 for that charging session... But I also had to pay a peak demand charge.

My Electric COOP has rates for cheaper during off-peak hours.. But with my wife running a at home business, and my EV, it made sense after tracking our demand, to leave it at the standard rate plan, and not get it madified.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
So I had an at home appt this morning to take care of 4 items on my R1S...

My Appt time was from 8am to 12 noon.

I get a message this morning from the tech at 6am that I am the last appt for the day

I message them back that my appt was from 8a to 12noon, and they responded that their system shows 8am to 8pm

I message the service team about this, and all they can say is that they will communicate with the service team about it. But since its the weekend, I dont expect a response until Monday.. Maybe.

So now I get to waste an entire day because Rivian doesnt know how to read an appt book?

Irritated to say the least.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
After I posted the above, I get a message from the Tech apologizing about the mix up, and he would show up at 1115am.

He showed up at 1120.. Good!

I apologized to him on the front end.. I was not meaning to hover.. But my house had 9 kids in it that day.. And it was not a place I wanted to be. Only 2 of them were mine. He was good with it.

He was a great technician. Talkative, talking about my Rivian, The R1T he was driving as a service truck, the SRV (Service Repair Vans), G-SRV (Gas Powered), his experience with Rivian, and a whole bunch more. Being a gearhead, we had LOTS to talk about, and the frustrations in the automotive world we both have.

His name was Jared M. And if any of you other Coloradoans get him, hes a good dude.

He adjusted my drivers door.. And the official Rivian adjustment.. Well lets just say its cringeworthy. Basically, either pull up, or push down on the rear of the door until adjusted, than adjust the striker. I mean it worked, and as someone that has done body work before, its a viable way to do this.. But if you see it, and hear the sounds the vehicle makes... Yea.

He had to replace the center console lids.

He had to reprogram the passenger front door window.

He had to dismount, and remount the passenger front fender flare and camera.

He had to take apart the drivers front foot well to install some foam backers to get the rattle to stop.

After it was all said and done, was happy with the repair work, but still need to take it in for body alignment issues on the front passenger fender, and the drivers front fender/door.

He left about 3pm. My wind noise is gone now.

He did point out a few other issues that the body shop would have to take care of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
After he got done, I had to go rescue a buddy from a mountain town, as he had missed the bus to come back to Denver from his ski trip.

First time taking it into the mountains. It felt like their were Rivians everywhere. I waved at most of them, only 1 waved back.

First time I have seen my efficiency look like this....
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240224_175418
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240224_175026
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240224_174806

She now has 1547 Miles on her.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Question... Did you know that the Rivian R1T has 77 instances of the word Rivian or Rivian Decal on it?

RJ certainly has a thing for the number 7.. 7776+1 batteries, and now this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Took the family up to Winter Park CO yesterday, just for a day outing.

Snowing, more like DUMPING, on us from Empire, all the way in, and back to Empire.

I could tell the 22" Pirelli tires were not up the snow task. They got it done, but certainly made for some pucker moments.

I did better than some. Saw a Audi, a Subaru, a Jeep, all 4x4/awd completely stuck. The Audi plowed directly into the snow drift on a corner. Driving to fast for conditions.

Left my house at a 90% SOC, got back to my house at 25% SOC. 68 kWh to charge back to my normal 75%. Dinner, and the round trip, all in for just at $100.

Approaching 2000 miles, at 1936, and 10 days short of 2 months ownership.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
So....

One of my Co-Workers with his Just-Purchased Tesla Model 3 Performance was nagging me that my S didnt stand a chance.... To be honest, I didnt think it did.

My work has a 1/3 mile private drive to get into the parking stalls for our equipment.

At first he was laughing at me, cause I had to put it into performance mode, and wait for the suspension to do its thing..
Lined up, side by side.. At first it was a win... He forgot to put it into DRIVE!
Now whos laughing... watching him go backwards, and me forwards. He stopped with just inches before hitting the fence at the end of the drive.

Lined up again, and it was a TIE! I mean maybe one of us had a couple inchs on the other. But we were window to window the hole way down. He was shocked.. and so was I.

I think I would have pulled on him a but if I wasnt at 47% charge.. Maybe?

I saw the track race on the forums inbetween someone with a QM-T and a MSP, and the MSP handily beat him... But he was on A/T's too. and I am on 22" Bright Performance.

It was all good fun while on a break.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
And I paid off the Rivian today..
And my house
And my personal loan..

Debt free for the first time in 15 years...

Now time to starting building up that retirement nest egg.

Sponsored

R1v1anNoob

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Hey Toll!

Did you ever figure out what caused the wiring meltdown?

Installed a Tesla Universal Wall Connector while I wait on my R1S to deliver next week. Have heard horror stories with DIY installs and made sure I did a ton of research.

Curious what caused your failure.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
No clue to be honest. I replaced the sub-box, and replaced the unions/breakers... I am thinking there must have been an issue with the old unions, as they melted into a pool of slag.

Since I replace those unions and the box, nothing. Not even a hint of temperature variance.

I will say I lowered the amps down to 32 from 40 also.

I charged from 52% to 100% last night (getting prepped for the snow storm), and am charging again now from 82% to 100%. No issues, no nothing.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
And I paid off the Rivian today..
And my house
And my personal loan..

Debt free for the first time in 15 years...

Now time to starting building up that retirement nest egg.
Congrats. That must feel amazing. I've been working toward similar but unfortunately went too hard into RIVN and got utterly crushed when it crashed. 😭

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Congrats. That must feel amazing. I've been working toward similar but unfortunately went too hard into RIVN and got utterly crushed when it crashed. 😭
I feel you.. I took a lot into RIVN too... But I did so for the long haul. I just wish I had waited... UNTIL TODAY... To buy.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Sitting at the Rivian service center Denver. 2 roof rails are coming off, creating a wind noise too.

There are telling me it's a couple hours to fix. Been here for 90 minutes so far.

If they can't get it corrected, the are telling me I can take an Uber.... uhm, 2 kids, car seats for 2 kids, plus I have to go to Kansas tomorrow, no that ain't going to work.

I'm not sure they understand that, but will see.

To be honest, I'm fully expecting this to turn into a shit show.
Sponsored