Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
So a quick bit of math..

My electricity cost is $0.106 kWh

In my ICE, I was spending roughly $138 a month on fuel ($2.75 a gallon x 50 gallons)
I sold my Jacuzzi (needed the electrical panel space for the R1S it had a cost of 9kWh per day), which was costing about $30 a month (280kWh x 0.106 kWh = $29.68).

If my math is right, I am using right at 14 kWh driving to and from work
This equals out to be 280 kWh for my work week (20 working days x 14 kWh = 280 kWh)
Weekends are always a unknown, depends on the wife and kids..

Need to get a bigger data point for the kWh for me to and from work. So this math could change. I think it will be closer to 18 kWh for winter months.

Now lets talk about other incidentals. Insurance..
My rates for my R1S are $122 a month
I was paying $78 a month on my GMC Envoy.
I dropped the full coverage down to Liability only, now $33 a month
$122 - 78 + 33 = $77

So..
+$138 - fuel savings on my ICE that I am only using as a backup
+$30 - Savings on selling my Jacuzzi
+$78 - Dropping Full Coverage Insurance on my GMC
-$30 - Estimated monthly charging on my R1S
-$122 - Adding Full Coverage Insurance on the R1S
-$33 - Adding Liability Insurance on the GMC
So that means I am $61 in the positive.. I am in the green... So far..
If I am closer to the 18kWh on the charging for the R1S.. It goes from $30 to 38. Not a drastic change in numbers.

$53-61 a month in savings.. It aint much, but its something.
The main reason I did the above is to show any potential person that thinks "im going to save a butt load of money by switching to electric"...

Uhm yea.. about that.

Yea, I could save more by dropping/selling the GMC. But being realistic.. A spare car for me, or my wife, is a safety net. Wives van breaks down, R1S needs service, and a loaner isnt available (sorry, uber aint gonna cut it). We have had a spare car for many years. Insurance is cheap, registration is cheap. If a relative flies into town, they can borrow a car.

I could also save money if I drove the R1S like its a "green" car.. Sorry that aint happening. I drive it just like I drove my GMC. Heavy footed, and as fast as I feel I need to go.

Edit: I might get a slightly higher "Demand Charge" as the Jacuzzi was pretty much a constant day to day. Whereas I will be charging my EV in the evening when I get home. I could probably offset that a bit by having the charging time selected to charge after I go to bed, and be ready in the morning. But with my work, I need it to be ready at a moments notice. If one of my fleets vehicles gets into a wreck, Colorado State Patrol will call me out, and I have to go. No if, ands, or butts about it. So its a hit I will have to take, like it or not. Luckily, I only respond to wrecks that happen within a 100 mile radius, and the company pays me a per-mile per-diem on it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
So a quick bit of math..

My electricity cost is $0.106 kWh

In my ICE, I was spending roughly $138 a month on fuel ($2.75 a gallon x 50 gallons)
I sold my Jacuzzi (needed the electrical panel space for the R1S it had a cost of 9kWh per day), which was costing about $30 a month (280kWh x 0.106 kWh = $29.68).

If my math is right, I am using right at 14 kWh driving to and from work
This equals out to be 280 kWh for my work week (20 working days x 14 kWh = 280 kWh)
Weekends are always a unknown, depends on the wife and kids..

Need to get a bigger data point for the kWh for me to and from work. So this math could change. I think it will be closer to 18 kWh for winter months.

Now lets talk about other incidentals. Insurance..
My rates for my R1S are $122 a month
I was paying $78 a month on my GMC Envoy.
I dropped the full coverage down to Liability only, now $33 a month
$122 - 78 + 33 = $77

So..
+$138 - fuel savings on my ICE that I am only using as a backup
+$30 - Savings on selling my Jacuzzi
+$78 - Dropping Full Coverage Insurance on my GMC
-$30 - Estimated monthly charging on my R1S
-$122 - Adding Full Coverage Insurance on the R1S
-$33 - Adding Liability Insurance on the GMC
So that means I am $61 in the positive.. I am in the green... So far..
If I am closer to the 18kWh on the charging for the R1S.. It goes from $30 to 38. Not a drastic change in numbers.

$53-61 a month in savings.. It aint much, but its something.
The main reason I did the above is to show any potential person that thinks "im going to save a butt load of money by switching to electric"...

Uhm yea.. about that.

Yea, I could save more by dropping/selling the GMC. But being realistic.. A spare car for me, or my wife, is a safety net. Wives van breaks down, R1S needs service, and a loaner isnt available (sorry, uber aint gonna cut it). We have had a spare car for many years. Insurance is cheap, registration is cheap. If a relative flies into town, they can borrow a car.

I could also save money if I drove the R1S like its a "green" car.. Sorry that aint happening. I drive it just like I drove my GMC. Heavy footed, and as fast as I feel I need to go.

Edit: I might get a slightly higher "Demand Charge" as the Jacuzzi was pretty much a constant day to day. Whereas I will be charging my EV in the evening when I get home. I could probably offset that a bit by having the charging time selected to charge after I go to bed, and be ready in the morning. But with my work, I need it to be ready at a moments notice. If one of my fleets vehicles gets into a wreck, Colorado State Patrol will call me out, and I have to go. No if, ands, or butts about it. So its a hit I will have to take, like it or not. Luckily, I only respond to wrecks that happen within a 100 mile radius, and the company pays me a per-mile per-diem on it.
Yeah you also need to factor in less overall maintenance (oil changes etc), but that's offset by higher tire expense... And the list goes on.

But overall if you're only paying around $0.10/kWh you're going to be ahead, how much depends on how much you drive.

And yeah I don't know how cold it gets where you're at but you're right to figure at least 25% worse efficiency on average during the cold months.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Had a weird oddity tonight. Got home at 62% SOC, plugged in my L2 charger. Have my truck programed to a custom 80% charge. It charged to 64% SOC and said it was complete. My app showed 70% SOC, truck showed 64%. This was 2-3 hours after I plugged it in, and 24kWh delivered.

Scratched my head, okay, will change the custom charge to 90%, and once it starts charging again, change it back to 80%.

Changed it back to 80%, and a warning message popped up that if I change it to the indicated SOC, that it would stop charging.

Totally confused, I decided to do a hard reboot. Pressed in the left button, and the hazard. Went back inside to take care of my kids, came back out, and the truck read 80% SOC, but the app still read 70% SOC. Force closed the app, and it now reads 80% SOC.

Not sure what happened, but all seems to be good at the moment.

Anything I need to know about doing the reset?

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, Rivian R1T
Its not a wipe, its a hard reset, so you should be fine. I've never noticed anything other than the screen changes are slower until they are cached. i hard reset a few hours after every update.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Have Rivian home service scheduled for 2-24-24 to fix the Center Console, and right front fender skirting. Yea I know she is dirty.. She has had a bath since the pics. The gap shown makes it so the image buffets on the screen. There is another service that needs to happen, The driver door is sagging a bit, and the gap on the front fender to the drivers door, but the service people said that needs to be done at the service center, and with me being on call 24/7, and sometimes those calls go out pretty far, I would need a loaner vehicle, and they cant guarantee that.
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240126_144441

Drivers side for reference..
Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240126_144455

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Welp.. 3 weeks in, and I gotta send my Rivian to the dealer...

Center Console wont open, and my wallets in there. Why did they have to make everything electric.. Even the center console?
Some rattling noise in the drivers foot well kick panel
Passenger side fender skirt is popped out, and making the camera attached in the same spot useless
Panel gaps on the fender to door, and the door looks to be sagging on the drivers side.

Still loving the truck and the power thou

When they called me, they started talking about Uber/Lyft credits.. Uhm, that wont work. I am on call, and when that call comes, I gotta go, up to 200 miles. Uber/Lyft aint gonna do that. Has to be either a loaner, or a rental. Nothing else will work.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Rivian called me last night..

They cancelled the SC appt, and rescheduled for a mobile on the Feb 24th for 3 of the 4 items.

And then for the 4th item, they scheduled a SC visit for March 22nd for the 4th item. Its supposed to be a wait. In other words they said it would be done in 2-3 hours.

How come I am scared about the SC visit.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I know there are options for "rock sliders"... Are their options for just run of the mill running boards?

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Had a very rough night... Family was sitting at the dinner table, and we all smelled something burning, plastic/rubber type bad smell. We searched, and searched.. Thought it was my amp in the living room. It wasnt. I kept searching, and thats when I noticed that my Rivian Charger was offline. Pulled the cover off the fuse block going to it, and the breakers are just melted pools of slag.... And the main line to the main breaker box still was turned on, and had power!

Turned the breaker off, will be calling the electrician out to see what happened. Hope the Rivian Wall Charger is still good.

I have it set to 50amp, when it gets fixed, going to lower that down to maybe 40, or 32. Dont need the high high amps, and it may get me out of the Demand Charge for the local Electric Coop.

If the Charger didnt survive, will have to figure out something else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Investigated the wires, and sub panel... The metal backing plates of the breakers turned into slag pool on the bottom of the panel. 4-5 inchs of the wires going into the breaker, and out of the breaker, were charred.

The rest of the wire, to and from the charger, and to and from the main panel, are fine.

Parts are on order, to be here today, or tomorrow.

The only unknown is if the Charger is ok.

Hoping everything is ok.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
1 Month in now... SItting at 1068 Miles.

No complaints with the truck really. The center console lid not opening is kinda annoying.

Mobile Service comes out next weekend to fix that, and 2 other minor issues.

Tonight we will be reinstalling the wiring for the charger. If everything goes well, it should work...

Worst case scenario is that the Charger is dead.

I have a guy local to me selling a Grizzl'E charger for what appears to be a good price..

Is there any advantage to the Grizzl'e over another Rivian Charger?

The only disadvantage for me is that my Rivian charger is hard wired, not plugged.
Grizzl'E is Plug Only it appears.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

It's easier for Rivian to diagnose any charging issues when you have their charger as well. I went with Rivian since I got the charger for $500 with my pre price hike order.

Personally I would look to go with the tesla universal charger/connector for $595 over the $750 Rivian charger if you're looking to future-proof your setup.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Theres a member here selling a Rivian branded, BNIB, for 450 shipped... I mean I am hoping that my charger is ok... Just hedging my bets.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

Theres a member here selling a Rivian branded, BNIB, for 450 shipped... I mean I am hoping that my charger is ok... Just hedging my bets.

I saw that post I think yesterday and was thinking to myself that is a solid price. Hopefully someone will be able to take advantage of it and save some money in the process.

I would snag that for $450 shipped if I needed a new charger or the Tesla Universal if the Rivian for $450 is soldout.
Sponsored