Rivian announces 7-Seat version with longer range

yellowcello

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Mercedes GL350, Audi Q5 TDI, Deere 2030, Case-IH
Yeah, I get it. I was all set to order a 5 seat R1S with the larger battery pack, but everything has fairly quickly changed over the past week. Seems like they could’ve made an announcement before now.

Not a big gripe, but all the videos, website information, interviews etc. always used the 400 mile range as a selling point. It seems like the R1S may be the red headed step child of the R1T.
I was looking forward to the R1S with 400-ish mile range. It's enough of a mileage reduction that my inner voice is questioning if it's worth it. Totally agree with you, an announcement would have been a good thing before learning about it while configuring.
Sponsored

Last edited:

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Is the thought that they will maybe squeeze 150 or 165 kwh pack into the 7 seater? I would be ok with this and suspect the 165 could get close to 400 miles with the right wheels and tires. Maybe a 20” low rolling resistance all season.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Didn't they say previously the 105 wasn't using the same modules?
don't know what they may have said about this but I did an analysis and it's somewhere here. In order to
A)Build packs of nominally 105, 135 or 180 kWh
B)Charge them at 500 or 900 V
C)Use the same size module throughout

the modules would have to be 3.75 kWh each.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
don't know what they may have said about this but I did an analysis and it's somewhere here. In order to
A)Build packs of nominally 105, 135 or 180 kWh
B)Charge them at 500 or 900 V
C)Use the same size module throughout

the modules would have to be 3.75 kWh each.
I have no clue how your post relates to mine (and please don't bother to explain it to me) but here is the article I was recalling about the pack differences. Obviously things have evolved a bit since late 2018.

Three pack sizes

Rivian offers three pack energy capacities at 105, 135, and 180 kWh. Each variant uses the same cell type so the pack size is determined by the total number of cells and modules.

The two smaller packs are the same physical size and shape. Motor Trend has an article saying the smallest capacity pack has seven modules and the mid-capacity pack has nine. This is wrong, according to Richard Farquhar of Rivian.

Actually, the smallest pack also uses nine modules but each of the cell groups in the modules contain fewer cells in parallel.

The largest capacity pack, at 180 kWh, has 12 modules and thus the pack is physically larger.

This is where the packs for the truck and SUV diverge. The truck uses a longer pack to hold the extra three modules while the SUV stacks the extra modules as an extra layer on top of the pack skateboard. This extra thick section of the pack ends up under the rear seats.
This is how the pack organization math works for each pack size:

105 kWh: 9 modules, 12 cell groups per module, 56 cells per group, 6,048 cells
135 kWh: 9 modules, 12 cell groups per module, 72 cells per group, 7,776 cells
180 kWh: 12 modules, 9 cell groups per module, 96 cells per group, 10,368 cells

This implies that each cell holds about 17.36 Wh or about 4.8 Ah at 3.6V.

These calculated numbers are consistent with, and implied by, other statements by Rivian executives but have not been specifically verified.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
As someone who was gonna go for the 5-Seat - 400+ R1S, I’ll admit to some mild disappointment. But I’ve now adjusted expectations, so here’s hoping that the “+” in “300+” translates into 320-350(ish)

Sponsored

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
As someone who was gonna go for the 5-Seat - 400+ R1S, I’ll admit to some mild disappointment. But I’ve now adjusted expectations, so here’s hoping that the “+” in “300+” translates into 320-350(ish)

I'm with you and this could very well be the case. Long way up data showed 314 miles but with battery left in the pack. This was a preprod vehicle and not yet optimized. So i am hopeful. R1S also supposedly more efficient than R1T due to aerodynamics.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They have now stated that the "Large" pack will be "slightly less" than 135 kWh in order to better fit in the R1T. It is apparent that they have made (are still making?) some significant changes.
Not many (any?) ways you can slightly reduce the pack in both physical size and energy ( ;) ) and retain the original architecture.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just watched this which suggests max should be over 300 miles. Will definitely depend on the wheel/tire selection.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I just watched this which suggests max should be over 300 miles. Will definitely depend on the wheel/tire selection.

This video is almost 2 years old at this point...

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This video is almost 2 years old at this point...
And battery tech and cell density has only improved so I’m optimistic it will be 10% added for 330 in total. Model X is up to 371 miles with a 100 kwh pack. It is a much more aerodynamic design and Tesla motor efficiency seems to be way ahead of everyone else, but I don’t think 330 miles with 135 kwh is unreasonable for the Rivian. That’s 2.44 miles per kwh which seems in reach.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Suppose it turns out to be 30 miles. Do you think they will give all that to you or hold some (or even all) of it in reserve until such time as they determine that the impact or releasing it to you has negligable effect on battery longevity?

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Suppose it turns out to be 30 miles. Do you think they will give all that to you or hold some (or even all) of it in reserve until such time as they determine that the impact or releasing it to you has negligable effect on battery longevity?
Maybe they will be like Tesla and give it up over time with software updates.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm kind of thinking that but also keep in mind that as Tesla analyzed the data coming back to them from the field they were able to find ways to squeeze a mile or two additional out of the system through improved control algorithms. I anticipate Rivian also being able to do that.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
And battery tech and cell density has only improved so I’m optimistic it will be 10% added for 330 in total. Model X is up to 371 miles with a 100 kwh pack. It is a much more aerodynamic design and Tesla motor efficiency seems to be way ahead of everyone else, but I don’t think 330 miles with 135 kwh is unreasonable for the Rivian. That’s 2.44 miles per kwh which seems in reach.
Not to burst your bubble, because what you say is true.

But Rivian promised us 300+ miles, and as the batteries got better they decided to reduce the pack size so we will get 300+. Not 10% more, because they have removed (maybe 10%) of the batteries.

They no longer call it a 135kWh pack. Because it is smaller.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not to burst your bubble, because what you say is true.

But Rivian promised us 300+ miles, and as the batteries got better they decided to reduce the pack size so we will get 300+. Not 10% more, because they have removed (maybe 10%) of the batteries.

They no longer call it a 135kWh pack. Because it is smaller.
Interesting, I didn’t realize that. So long as it’s 300+ with the 22” wheels I’ll be happy enough. My model 3 is just over 290 now with degradation and it is not an issue. I won’t be towing.

My main concerns with Rivian are not range related, it’s everything else like the UI, FSD/driver assistance, and reliability, which Tesla has had a big head start on. I would be getting a Tesla SUV if they had anything like the R1S, the model X doesn’t do it for me.

So for now I’ll enjoy my model 3 and look forward to driving the R1S in the future, unless Tesla has something by 2022.
Sponsored